Questions about HW30/R7

It's hard to measure. I few thousandths out at the muzzle puts it a long way out. I check the barrel with a straight edge first.

Sometimes the barrel is bent in the middle. Someone sent me a R1 with the barrel bent. It's hard to see but there's a straight edge along the top of the barrel. You'll see light under it mid barrel. I located the high spots and straightened it in an Arbor press. Then reinstalled it and adjusted it in the gun.

View attachment 298881
I just installed the low Sportsmatch rings on my R7 and I'm impressed! These are the first
rings I've ever used that my vertical plane is right on the money. At 10 ft perfect alignment!
No windage adjustment needed. Will test @30 ft tomorrow. Hopefully it will still not need windage
adjustments @ 30 ft. I don't think I have excessive barrel droop but will watch my elevation
adjustments.

I would call them low. With the Hawke 2-7x32 there is daylight between the bottom of the scope and the mount. I cannot get my finger between the scope and the rifle, maybe a centimeter clearance.

I would also suggest the low Sportsmatch one inch rings, about the same distance from the bore.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scope-mounts/sportsmatch-lt031c-2-pc-low-1-inch-scope-mount/
I'm glad I took your suggestion on the Sportsmatch rings! I think keeping the scope as close
to the bore also lessens the amount of canting error. The gap between the scope receiver is
around .100 " so I had to modify the objective end lens cap in order to slide over the objective
bell.

Reactions: maxtrouble