Questions about HW30/R7

I had some Hawke rings for my R7 but they do not fit the dovetail properly. Any
ring or one piece suggestions. I'd prefer droop compensation (even though members
have said there R7 doesn't have droop issues) just in case mine does. Another question
I have pertains to the single forearm screw. Is the double star lock washer really
necessary? Do you really need the washer under the steel cup that contacts wood ?
I pulled the stock off my new R7 and used Loctite Blue on all the stock fastners.
Torqued the forearm screw to 25 inch lbs and the same for the forward trigger guard
screw. The rear trigger gaurd screw was torqued to 12 inch lbs.

Did you try flipping the clamp over? That gives you another dimension. Two piece are too heavy IMO. I have a very nice 1 piece BKL I don't want. Took it off a gun I bought. One piece might not work with a short body Hawke scope anyway.
These rings sit way to high ! Probably a 1/8th inch gap between the underside of
the ring and the top of the receiver. The gap was so great that I could easily see
that the mount stop pin was nowhere near the center of the receiver stop pin well.
I didn't try flipping but I don't think that will change that excessive gap that I mentioned.
I will try though. The scope I have has a total of 5.8 " of scope mount usable space.

This one piece droop mount fits a Hawke 2-7x32 Airmax.

Reactions: beerthief
Thanks ! The scope is set at zero and at 10 ft I'm 1/4" to the right of the vertical plane.
At 30 ft I'm a little over 1" to the right. That isn't acceptable to me ! I like to be a 1/4 " (or less)
at 30 ft.
If your rings aren't centered in the dovetail you're going to have lateral variance. Most dovetail rings are made to fit multiple dovetails resulting in the scope being offset to the receiver.

The Sportsmatch rings are as close to center of an 11mm DT as I've seen. Most new Weihrauchs need the barrels trued left and right to some degree. I do it all the time. Here's a new Hw35 with the barrel hooked to the left over 5' at ten yards. I use Sportsmatch rings and multiple scopes optically centered with a mirror for redundant verification. . Adjustments needs to be checked at two different ranges with no wind.

20220728_122947.jpg

20220728_122849.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43
I would call them low. With the Hawke 2-7x32 there is daylight between the bottom of the scope and the mount. I cannot get my finger between the scope and the rifle, maybe a centimeter clearance.

I would also suggest the low Sportsmatch one inch rings, about the same distance from the bore.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scope-mounts/sportsmatch-lt031c-2-pc-low-1-inch-scope-mount/
I think I will get a set of those since my scope is only has a 32mm objective.

If your rings aren't centered in the dovetail you're going to have lateral variance. Most dovetail rings are made to fit multiple dovetails resulting in the scope being offset to the receiver.

The Sportsmatch rings are as close to center of an 11mm DT as I've seen. Most new Weihrauchs need the barrels trued left and right to some degree. I do it all the time. Here's a new Hw35 with the barrel hooked to the left over 5' at ten yards. I use Sportsmatch rings and multiple scopes optically centered with a mirror for redundant verification. . Adjustments needs to be checked at two different ranges with no wind.

View attachment 297818

View attachment 297823
Thanks ! Sportsmatch it is !

Umm,,How many clicks is that to the left to get ya on that vertical centerline? Around 20 clicks?
I figure if I'm to the right a 1/4" @ 10 ft and a hair over 1" @ 30 ft I'd probably be in the 2-3"
range @ 25 yards. Sure..I could adjust it dead on at either 30 ft or 25 yards but then have
to deal with POI changes at other distances. Which I can't stand to do ! The less adjustments
you have to make on a zeroed scope the better off you are. Off course the other issue plaguing
break barrel air rifles is barrel-to-receiver alignment. I will find out soon enough when my
new Sportsmatch rings arrive. Hopefully today ! If my POI is the same then I'll know
my barrel leans right from the receiver dovetail grooves.

I figure if I'm to the right a 1/4" @ 10 ft and a hair over 1" @ 30 ft I'd probably be in the 2-3"
range @ 25 yards. Sure..I could adjust it dead on at either 30 ft or 25 yards but then have
to deal with POI changes at other distances. Which I can't stand to do ! The less adjustments
you have to make on a zeroed scope the better off you are. Off course the other issue plaguing
break barrel air rifles is barrel-to-receiver alignment. I will find out soon enough when my
new Sportsmatch rings arrive. Hopefully today ! If my POI is the same then I'll know
my barrel leans right from the receiver dovetail grooves.
They're easy enough to tweak left, right and up. I try to adjust them to be within a quarter inch at 10 yards and then check them again outside at 25 yards on a windless day. I prefer the windage require less than a quarter turn of the turret.
The Sportsmatch rings eliminate the complications of offset mounting.

I'm with you on what you say! I like windage to zero no more than a 1/4 turn @ 30 ft.
I've reduced some windage issues with shimming with a single layer of 3/4" electric
tape. Many are against shimming but a few thousandths of a inch isn't going to harm
the scope. If I'm still shooting an inch to the right @30 ft with the Sportsmatch rings
I'll know my barrel is canted to the right. I think I'll run a straight edge along the receiver
tube and measure each side of the gap between the straight edge and barrel tip.

It's hard to measure. I few thousandths out at the muzzle puts it a long way out. I check the barrel with a straight edge first.

Sometimes the barrel is bent in the middle. Someone sent me a R1 with the barrel bent. It's hard to see but there's a straight edge along the top of the barrel. You'll see light under it mid barrel. I located the high spots and straightened it in an Arbor press. Then reinstalled it and adjusted it in the gun.

20220601_082519.jpg