Tuning Question:Tuning rifles to below 12 fpe?

I’m also a fan of sub 12fpe springers. My pro sport shoots at 10.5fpe and is both very accurate and a joy to shoot. My hw50s in .177 shoots at 10.2fpe with JSB 8.4s. To get there I used a Vortek PG-3 kit and seal. I had to remove 2 coils (maybe 3, can’t remember) from the spring to get that power level. Just clip one at a time until you get the desired outcome. It is pretty easy to clip coils with the PG-3 top hat design. Good luck.

‘R

I’m also a fan of sub 12fpe springers. My pro sport shoots at 10.5fpe and is both very accurate and a joy to shoot. My hw50s in .177 shoots at 10.2fpe with JSB 8.4s. To get there I used a Vortek PG-3 kit and seal. I had to remove 2 coils (maybe 3, can’t remember) from the spring to get that power level. Just clip one at a time until you get the desired outcome. It is pretty easy to clip coils with the PG-3 top hat design. Good luck.

‘R

Thanks for the help!!

P

I'll second EMrider. The bore and stroke make the Hw 50 an excellent candidate for a 10 fpe 177 springer. The Vortek top hats are made to use open ended springs. So clipping the spring a halve coil at a time is very easy. I'm a fan of the Vortek kits. I have a 177 Hw50 with a Vortek HO kit. It was making a little over 12fpe initially and after 10 maybe 15 thousand rounds and three years it settled down to 11.8- 12fpe depending on pellet. The gun's shot cycle is fairly sharp but not quite jumpy at this power. It's still very very accurate. I believe the Hw50 would be sublime at 10 fpe. The only reason I don't take mine down to that is it's my squirrel gun.

Just re-reading your post I see you're considering 22. I just sold a 22 Hw50 to Derrek (AGN member name?) and at 12+fpe the gun at slightly more power shoots nicer than my 177. You may not have to take the power down much to get what you want. I only sold the gun because 22s are too loopy for my rangefinder / holdover skills.

Best of luck to you

Ron