• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Question to target shooters only - what scope?

There are certainly lemons out there, unfortunately. I’d say it’s possible that my SII is a lemon, but over the years I’ve had 2 more of them and they were far worse than my current one.

I’ve looked through lots of scopes that I wouldn’t be happy spending half of what they cost. Leupold’s, Marchs, etc. I paid 820$ for my ED 36x….and I like it a lot.

Mike

Posting my question here instead of Optics thread, I am shooting target papers only and not really interested for hunters imput. ;)
My .25 cal FX Impact is a dedicated BR gun for 50-100-125 meters, and my primary target scope is a Falcon X50 SFP (10-50x60).
Setting up now my next .22 cal airgun for 20-100 meters, and shopping for a target scope with a clarity again that I can see the projectile chewing the hole edges.
I had tried many scopes in the past impulse buy from whatever utubers influencers and hunters, that won't work again, I got rid of all the scopes kept the Falcon only.
Along my way I have developed some preferences:

- SFP, I cannot stand the reticle growing or changing size;
- parallax adjustment down to 10 meters;
- minimum power 24 and up;
- or fixed power about 40 ish;
- I like the B20 style or any other simple reticles;
- I click dial the known distances so holdover/under is only secondary thought;
- a full clarity and sharp edges at full power setting;
- for a secondary scope I would set the dollar cap to 5-600;
- second hand may give me a better glass for the money;
- I can wait couple months for a deal;

What would you recommend?
Best I have used was a Delta Stryker 5-50x56 SFP. goes down to 10 yards parallax. crisp image even at the borders. Floating center dot which has windage and holdover in MOA. Only drawback is price. But if you can get by the price, it will be the primary scope and the falcon will become the secondary. I lent mine to a friend for RMAC to use instead of his regular scopes and he liked it so much he went and bought 2 himself.

Last edited:
Posting my question here instead of Optics thread, I am shooting target papers only and not really interested for hunters imput. ;)
My .25 cal FX Impact is a dedicated BR gun for 50-100-125 meters, and my primary target scope is a Falcon X50 SFP (10-50x60).
Setting up now my next .22 cal airgun for 20-100 meters, and shopping for a target scope with a clarity again that I can see the projectile chewing the hole edges.
I had tried many scopes in the past impulse buy from whatever utubers influencers and hunters, that won't work again, I got rid of all the scopes kept the Falcon only.
Along my way I have developed some preferences:

- SFP, I cannot stand the reticle growing or changing size;
- parallax adjustment down to 10 meters;
- minimum power 24 and up;
- or fixed power about 40 ish;
- I like the B20 style or any other simple reticles;
- I click dial the known distances so holdover/under is only secondary thought;
- a full clarity and sharp edges at full power setting;
- for a secondary scope I would set the dollar cap to 5-600;
- second hand may give me a better glass for the money;
- I can wait couple months for a deal;

What would you recommed
there is an old add on the clasifieds for a 35x compition scope $1800 new @ $1000 used maybe 14 pages into the Classifieds

Thanks all. Gave me a lot to think about.

Camera Land is out of stock on the Sightron 36x42, but the ED 36x 45 at $971 is on sale till end of day, and is in stock. I put a “placeholder” order in this morning, while I search for other Optics retailers who might have availability.

Curious - For those of you who own the 45x fixed Sightron competition scope, did anyone else think that the Sightron fixed 45x magnification appeared to be darker than their expectations? For the money, I was disappointed on the level of brightness and clarity.

There are certainly lemons out there, unfortunately. I’d say it’s possible that my SII is a lemon, but over the years I’ve had 2 more of them and they were far worse than my current one.

I’ve looked through lots of scopes that I wouldn’t be happy spending half of what they cost. Leupold’s, Marchs, etc. I paid 820$ for my ED 36x….and I like it a lot.

Mike
@thomasair Just curious....which do you prefer, TD.125 or FCH reticle?

I did the math for the distances I plan to use it (25 to 60 yards). I feel like the TD will be too big, and the FCH....I don't know if I'll be able to see it. Wish I was closer to some place (or someone) that has these in stock (to look for myself).

Last edited:
Tommy…the 45 is definitely darker than the 36….but on par with other 45x fixed power scopes in that price range.

I get very heavy mirage here in the summer shooting over adobe dirt at 100 degrees. There is a very big difference in the way scopes handle the heavy mirage at equal power. My s2 you cannot even begin to see the letters or numbers on a N50 target at 100y. My 40x Leupold is better …but not great. My 36x Sightron comp ED is better yet, but the S5 10-50 at 35x blows them all away. Everything is very legible. If you are shooting over grass and don’t get much mirage….all would probably be acceptable I would think.

Mike

Tommy…the 45 is definitely darker than the 36….but on par with other 45x fixed power scopes in that price range.

I get very heavy mirage here in the summer shooting over adobe dirt at 100 degrees. There is a very big difference in the way scopes handle the heavy mirage at equal power. My s2 you cannot even begin to see the letters or numbers on a N50 target at 100y. My 40x Leupold is better …but not great. My 36x Sightron comp ED is better yet, but the S5 10-50 at 35x blows them all away. Everything is very legible. If you are shooting over grass and don’t get much mirage….all would probably be acceptable I would think.

Mike
This is very helpful Mike! Unfortunately, I am shooting over gravel ( not grass ) and there is a lot of mirage, esp. at 100 yards and when the heat is up, which seems like forever here in NC. Our summer heat starts in early May some years, and can go well into October with 90 degree ++ days.

I know I will mostly use the scope for N50 50 yard target shooting, but I would not want to buy the new 36X42 target dot, only to find out that it is not good at 100 yards. I have two RF benchrest Annie rifles, an FX Boss .30 and a relatively new EVOL Paradigm .30; so I need a new scope for the Paradigm. I need another cost of living SS raise in 2024 to start thinking about an S5! :)

Going to call Camera Land and probably change my order to the 36X competition ED, since the 36X42 is out of stock for a while. But, as Tim said earlier, he thought the 36X42 was pretty good also.

The good news here, Sightron will always return/refund your scope if you are not happy.

Thanks again...Tom

Reactions: igolfat8
This is very helpful Mike! Unfortunately, I am shooting over gravel ( not grass ) and there is a lot of mirage, esp. at 100 yards and when the heat is up, which seems like forever here in NC. Our summer heat starts in early May some years, and can go well into October with 90 degree ++ days.

I know I will mostly use the scope for N50 50 yard target shooting, but I would not want to buy the new 36X42 target dot, only to find out that it is not good at 100 yards. I have two RF benchrest Annie rifles, an FX Boss .30 and a relatively new EVOL Paradigm .30; so I need a new scope for the Paradigm. I need another cost of living SS raise in 2024 to start thinking about an S5! :)

Going to call Camera Land and probably change my order to the 36X competition ED, since the 36X42 is out of stock for a while. But, as Tim said earlier, he thought the 36X42 was pretty good also.

The good news here, Sightron will always return/refund your scope if you are not happy.

Thanks again...Tom

Hi Tommy B,

I have the Sightron SIII ED - both the 45x and the 36x
I also have the Sightron SII 36x

The SIII 36x is brighter than the 45x, but my 45x is plenty bright!

The SII 36x has been the big surprise for me. Mine is extremely clear. I shoot mostly over grass. It has been close enough to the SIIIs that I am thinking of buying another. Perhaps I just got a good copy, but I shot it at 100 yards and the image quality was really good in my opinion. The front focus has been a non issue for me, as I’m just target shooting from a bench.

-Ed

Reactions: igolfat8

Thanks again...Tom
Tom,
I bought all three of mine direct from Sightron. They were out of the SIIs and I had to get on their waiting list and had to wait a couple of months.

Ordered the Sightron 36x45 Slll Competition from Killough Shooting Sports today. Arrives next Wednesday.

If I like it, I may try and return my one year old 45x to Sightron and try and trade for a 36X.

As I said, the 45x ( at least the one I have ) is darker than all of my other scopes. Could be an issue with just mine, and not representative of the model. I will send it back in any case to have them check it out.

Mike
@thomasair - Mike sorry to revive a dead thread but who makes the S5 10-50 you mentioned? Has there been any upgrades?