• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Question to target shooters only - what scope?

Posting my question here instead of Optics thread, I am shooting target papers only and not really interested for hunters imput. ;)
My .25 cal FX Impact is a dedicated BR gun for 50-100-125 meters, and my primary target scope is a Falcon X50 SFP (10-50x60).
Setting up now my next .22 cal airgun for 20-100 meters, and shopping for a target scope with a clarity again that I can see the projectile chewing the hole edges.
I had tried many scopes in the past impulse buy from whatever utubers influencers and hunters, that won't work again, I got rid of all the scopes kept the Falcon only.
Along my way I have developed some preferences:

- SFP, I cannot stand the reticle growing or changing size;
- parallax adjustment down to 10 meters;
- minimum power 24 and up;
- or fixed power about 40 ish;
- I like the B20 style or any other simple reticles;
- I click dial the known distances so holdover/under is only secondary thought;
- a full clarity and sharp edges at full power setting;
- for a secondary scope I would set the dollar cap to 5-600;
- second hand may give me a better glass for the money;
- I can wait couple months for a deal;

What would you recommend?

Well I have both the Sightron 45x Competition and the March Hi Master 48x. I don't need (or want) variable power or hash marks. I shoot at known distances so I never range. I believe in very high magnification because… well, Aim Small, Miss Small. I went for ED glass for clarity. I have a diopter screw in device for my March which increases depth of field a bit. Hope this helps.

Sightron 10-50. Around $8-900 used I think.
I have an older one with an illuminated dot. Nice scope.

I also shoot ARA benchrest. Seems most at my club prefer a fine crosshairs and smallish dot.

Currently lusting after a March HM 10-60 or Kahles 10-50.

Fixed or variable? Seems to be valid arguments both ways. Like camera lenses ,quality scopes these days probably so good is mere mortals can’t tell the difference. Obviously there are limits if going too cheap. My first and major requirement is a scopes holds zero.

Reactions: jps2486
In my canadian forum classifieds currently there is a guy selling two scopes "Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50" the price is attempting, but FFP, also don't know what those Bushnells can do?
Member @igolfat8 just sold 2 of those Bushnells that he used for Benchrest.

He may be able to share some info if you PM him.
He may chime in here if he gets the alert for being mentioned.

Hi Chuck and BigHun,

I had 3 Match Pro 6x24 that I recently sold. They have VERY very good glass. The day that the guy that bought the first one received it, he looked through it and bought my second one immediately. I can’t sing high enough praises for these scopes. They are FFP and I was using them for BR shooting but I found that I prefer a much thinner reticle for BR shooting. Otherwise I would still own them. They would be awesome PRS, NRL or hunting scope.

At 24x @50 yards the reticle’s center dot covers an ARA center X bullseye. I used one last year in an ARA match, shot an X but I didn’t see it because the center dot covered it and so I shot that bull a second time … 🙄 duh. After that incident I switched to a Sightron 36x very fine cross hair reticle with a teeny tiny center dot. The Bushnell’s have better glass and are brighter than the Sightron SII 36X but that’s life.

btw, this is the Falcon X50 SFP crosshair, thin reticle no dot.

X50 reticle.JPG

This LPVO had also an interesting reticle (for shooting silhouettes) but could not get used to low power and sold it

1615775859.jpg

The Nikko 8x32 Nighteater reticle is ... I don't like the size and placement of the dots, and the scope turrets got outdated

reticle.jpg

I use a simple crosshairs and tiny center dot for 50Y and use the rings for my hold offs. However, at 100y that setup probably won’t work as the pellet holdoffs are likely way beyond the rings if there is appreciable wind to contend with so a reticle with hash marks would be more useful IMO. I don't have much experience shooting beyond 50y so others may be more helpful to listen to on that range and beyond.