Question on Omega Trail Charger

So I just picked up an Omega Trail Charger. It was purchased new (though it doesn't look like it...small sharp gouge out of one of the handles...though the shipping box looked just fine).

Checked grease, topped off the distilled water, and tested with the test cap to 300 bar.

It makes a repetitive mechanical high pitched squeaking sound.

Is this normal?

Called the support person for this compressor...he said it may go away. If it doesn't I'll record it and upload. Otherwise seems to be working other than the included quick disconnect is too big for the FX Crown MKII

The greasing cup on the Omega Trail Charger is a design where you don’t know for sure if you actually get grease into the system. 

The first thing I observed when I filled the grease cup was that there could still be a slug of air in the cup and when you turn the cap to advance some grease you don’t know if greasing occurred. 

Here’s how to tell if greasing is occurring. And by the way, I have read that some folks grease more often than the manual suggests, twice as often as recommended. To see if grease is advancing unscrew the air intake elbow fitting along with the air filter and look into the threaded hole the elbow was screwed into and then turn the greasing cup and watch for a blob of grease to extrude into the air intake. The grease gets slowly sucked into the cylinders over a period of time from suction air flow and warmth of the cylinder head thinning the grease slightly. That’s how it’s lubed.

If it were me, Every time it was due for greasing I would go through that procedure to be confident it’s occurring, otherwise you could risk seizing or scoring the pistons and cylinders. 

When your cup needs refilling with grease, one way to drive the air out of the cup is to put a little grease in the cup and then gently tap it a bunch of times onto your workbench or block of wood. You will see small air pockets come to the surface. Once no more bubbles are appearing you can add a little more grease and repeat the tapping until the grease cup is full, then put the cap on and screw back into the threaded hole where it belongs.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Reactions: bd2021
Randy, yeah, Todd didn't know offhand. There are a lot of parts on this one. 

By the way, while the video reviews I had seen did not have the squeaking I'm hearing. But I did just find this example:

https://youtu.be/tKzVk6os3Ek?t=428

that is similar to what I am hearing. Also, the manuals does mention "A slight squeaking sound is normal. 

Here is the manual:

1.1650817670.jpg

2.1650817678.jpg

3.1650817687.jpg

4.1650817695.jpg

5.1650817704.jpg

6.1650817713.jpg

7.1650817720.jpg

8.1650817728.jpg

The grease pot looks like item 80 and 81. I don't see a black rubber concave disk in the diagram. Maybe it's a new part. Or maybe it is the reason for the squeaking? By the way, the creases were there when I got the compressor.

Reactions: maxtrouble
bd2021,

My bad, I had the AIR Charger not TRAIL Charger. But, looking at exploded view, the grease cup is the same, and yeah they don’t show the frisbee looking part. 

Also, I’m not sure you have easy access to looking into air intake port without taking sheet metal cover off. 

Can you post or PM me a pic of the frisbee looking part ? Maybe it will be obvious to me when I see it. 

Randy