• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question on high end PCP 22 or 25. FX vs Brocock vs Kalibur

I guess you have had some bad times with a fx or know folks that have? I know all quality products can have lemons or issues some of the time but if its more common than yes that would be a major no in my book. I know people can become fanboys and never talk bad about ---------- but I can't afford the luxury of regretting my choice based on issues of reliability or maintenance problems. It seems the more a dig into this level of play with the air rifles the more I like my marauder and the more I am leaning to a quality springer. Yes, I know they have their own set of unique problems. I was looking at the additional cost of a good compressor(at least 800), 4500psi carbon tank with setup(900-1000). So at 3500 to get to play. I know people will say get amazon 300 compressor and replace parts when the go out. No thank you and have to cool it with water out of 5 gallon bucket again no.

I seem harsh with my words but I don't want that headache. I do not like working on my guns of any kind. So I need dependable, realistic consistent gun with good accuracy.

Thanks again
Jon
Yes I had many fx’s and used to be a fanboy and woke up, if you like tinkering all the time, I don’t I like shooting, poi changes, leaks with the 10 million o-rings a impact has etc.. I switched to American made rifles and love them, I took my jsar raptor out today and shot it for the first time in about a month in a half and it was dead on, try that with a impact, won’t happen, when I had my impacts seems like I had to re-zero them everytime i shot them.. I’ll stick to my raptors and raw, my raptor is my goto rifle love it. Had it listed on the classifieds but took it off when I shot it today.

F1008FAC-94F2-415E-A39F-ED9C15172F8B.jpeg

Yes I had many fx’s and used to be a fanboy and woke up, if you like tinkering all the time, I don’t I like shooting, poi changes, leaks with the 10 million o-rings a impact has etc.. I switched to American made rifles and love them, I took my jsar raptor out today and shot it for the first time in about a month in a half and it was dead on, try that with a impact, won’t happen, when I had my impacts seems like I had to re-zero them everytime i shot them.. I’ll stick to my raptors and raw, my raptor is my goto rifle love it. Had it listed on the classifieds but took it off when I shot it today.

View attachment 317755
Looks like that one is ready for prs. do you compete with that one? Well, I am not a tinker or a fix it type guy so the impact is losing ground quickly.

Thanks
Jon

Looks like that one is ready for prs. do you compete with that one? Well, I am not a tinker or a fix it type guy so the impact is losing ground quickly.

Thanks
Jon
No I don’t compete, not into that.. and it’s all rigged for the sponsored fanboys 😀, it competes with the squirrels in my feeders and other pests

Reactions: drsquall
Are you using different models or all the same just different calibers?

Thanks
Jon
My first a Compatto .22 unregulated, led to my second a Bantam Sniper HR, which led to my third and favorite… The Atomic XR, all in .22. All three have been consistent from out the box to this day. Not a problem with any of them and hundreds of pests would attest to their capabilities.

@drsquall, I hand pump both my Compatto and Atomic XR… No HPA compressor or scba necessary for those two. My Bantam HR? I fill from a scba bottle. If you buy a cyclinder gun as opposed to a bottle gun, you can get by with a hand pump. I only purchased my HPA compressor because of the Bantam HR. No way I’m hand pumping that thing.

@drsquall, I hand pump both my Compatto and Atomic XR… No HPA compressor or scba necessary for those two. My Bantam HR? I fill from a scba bottle. If you buy a cyclinder gun as opposed to a bottle gun, you can get by with a hand pump. I only purchased my HPA compressor because of the Bantam HR. No way I’m hand pumping that thing.
Thats good to know. How many shots do you get with XR before you need to top it off. I know it depends on caliber and power settings but on average. I am wanting a gun that I can shoot at least a couple of mags while out hunting.

Thanks
Jon

That's good. 22 or 25.
All in .22 Look up some of my pesting posts with the Atomic XR in the hunting forum. For me all three have been solid, I like to shoot, tinkering? Not at all, I want them to just go to work, right out the box. All three of these have done just that. I am a Brocock fan, but only because they have earned that respect. They are no nonsense PCPs.

All in .22 Look up some of my pesting posts with the Atomic XR in the hunting forum. For me all three have been solid, I like to shoot, tinkering? Not at all, I want them to just go to work, right out the box. All three of these have done just that. I am a Brocock fan, but only because they have earned that respect. They are no nonsense PCPs.
I think this could be the one. i can use my pump on it and has plenty of power for squirrels and good shot count for hunting and its small. Now to decide on 22 or 25.

Thanks Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
I think this could be the one. i can use my pump on it and has plenty of power for squirrels and good shot count for hunting and its small. Know to decide on 22 or 25.

Thanks Jon
If not going bigger than woodchucks, the .22 Atomic will serve you well sub 50 yards. In .25 the trajectory will be loopier. Good luck!🍀

P.S. Forgot to add that Airguns of Arizona has a Atomic XR “plinkers package” comes with nice Athlon scope, case and moderator…

Hello,

A brief history of my PCP experience. I traded for a 25cal maunder that was tuned already for energy. It shoots great and I squirrel hunt with it. Thats it. I have a hand pump and will need to get portable compressor to fill. I don't want to drive to town to get tanks filled.

I am want a high end pcp like the ones listed above but I have needs. LOL

Here they are:
1. very dependable
2. I am not a tinker at all, don't want to mess with tuning all the time. Just want to grab gun and go.
3. Mostly for hunting but some plinking. mostly squirrels
4. Accurate
5. good shot count per fill
6. I'm lefty so needs to be ambi. no mags hitting my cheek or having to move head. Bolt can be on right as long as I don't have to lift my head up to work it.
7. compact like the FX M3 compact
8. quiet or able to add moderator

Sorry for sounding so demanding but if I am going to spend 2 grand or so just on rifle it needs to do these things. Most important thing to me is dependable and doesn't need to be tinkered with all the time. I am hunter

Thanks
Jon
The BSA R10 is a lefty or righty oriented bolt gun that looks like a perfect squirrel rifle. On sale at AoA

bsa-r10se22thlamhp-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jon... Yes the cost can get up their in the PCP game.. you have one and an air source so your good there... Bud I can't blame you for wanting another... It's an addiction, I understand 😂. How about this...
Save and get a quality compressor first...
"Quality compressor" none of this Amazon $300 junk... Then. . dude it's like owning your own gas station... You can drive the baddest hotrod everyday of the week..