Question on fittings

Hi Y’all,
I have one of the gold colored oil and water separators. It’s this one:
47598EED-450A-44E7-98A0-2CE4735A1963.1632151782.jpeg

I need to replace this hose:
1A8375F6-FC07-4C1F-984D-69F67C0AFDD2.1632151996.jpeg

Can anybody tell me what size fittings these are and were I can find the hose?
A7CAA1E8-92EA-4146-8819-F1BF49414E9A.1632151845.jpeg
0714EB9D-C63C-4D0F-9709-D79FA1E2C9FE.1632151846.jpeg

Thanks guys!

Hi @humdinger the swivel fitting is a female m10? I think the male side is an m10. The female end is a bit larger than the male side, looks like a tube fitting. If they are both m10 would they screw together? These are very different in size and do not screw together. Measured the tube look like it’s 6mm id. Not sure if that would help to identify the fitting. 

took some more pictures

DE332AEB-17D9-4C36-B7E9-5A8EA0C77BDA.1632159649.jpeg
87E71E56-9104-403C-B50E-647F017F7101.1632159651.jpeg
94A78002-AED2-47E6-A715-56D12F7979FA.1632159653.jpeg

Icy,

Good question, was wondering same thing hooking up the exact oil/water separator yesterday. Looked at my eBay purchase history to see if any info listed by seller, but no luck. I managed to complete installation with existing and provided hoses, but slightly longer hoses would have helped. There are many members who use this setup so pretty sure the answer will come.

WM

I see what you are saying. The male end is definitely M10*1 but the female end is a larger metric size thread. It appears to be an M14 or M16. Measure it with a caliper and see if anything like it exists on Aliexpress. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer of the water separator? They probably have a store on Aliexpress that sells accessories like hoses in longer lengths.

One of the hoses on mine is damaged. I reached to the eBay seller and while they said they would send a replacement it has yet to show up. I do know about buyer protection and all that but thought I could source my own. 

I’ll break out the calipers tonight and look up metric thread major minor diameter and pitch, see if I can figure that part out. I thought it would be a tube or hydraulic fitting of some sort, and that part has me a little stumped. 

If anyone else has info on these please let us know 

Hi guys, I don't think using foster fittings in this application will work very well. The air coming out of the compressor is quite hot and laden with oil. I think that mixture would quickly deteriorate standard o-rings in the female side of fittings. The white seals that look like small washers used in the m10 connections coming out of the compressor are PTFE (teflon). They can hold up to the temp and have high chemical resistance. Nitrile Buna rubber, silicone, and polyurethane o-rings in the female side of the foster fittings do not posses these qualities to a high extent. I'm sure they would be leaking quickly.

I took out the verniers and pitch gauges today to thoroughly measure the fittings. I thought they look like a jic fitting however I cant find anything that matches the numbers I measured yet. I have been using the website McMaster-Carr to try and ID these. I'm thinking they might be a 6mm tube fitting possibly a din3861 but not certain, still stumped.

If anyone wants to take a wack at it here is what i have for measurements. I converted them to metric also:

Major thread diameter .512" / 13mm

Minor thread diameter .469" / 12mm

ID of fitting on filter .230" / 5.842mm

ID on fitting on hose .131" / 3.3mm

Thread pitch doesn't seem to line up with my cheap pitch gauges (albiet 20tpi and 1.25 where close) so I measured them:

.0516"-.0527" (calculated by Dist/Threads) works out to 19TPI (bspp?) or 1.31mm-1.33mm

I have a feeling someone somewhere along the way has had this issue and found a solution. I haven't yet. An adapter from the male fitting on the filter to a male m10 would be good, a hose with the proper connectors would be ideal. I'm ready to return the whole bloody thing and buy a new one....

Hopefully one y'all that sent messages out to suppliers hears back with an answer and a source to obtain these hoses.

Was hoping someone compiled a list of common pcp fittings used that could be referenced. If anyone knows of a link let us know.

I think it's M12 or M14 on the big end you're looking for. M12 x 1.5 and M14 x 1.5 would be most common, though you can get into 1mm, or 1.25mm thread pitch.

I would suggest you go to a Ace Hardware or other home improvement store with a good hardware section. They should have metric bolts (might be in the pull-out organizer bins on the shelves) and what you can do is buy bolts in various sizes to try out on your filter. M10-M16 is handy to have in as many thread pitches as you see.

@shoot44

I know exactly what you’re talking about!!! We had them in the shop of my last employer. Sometimes I’d just grab a couple bolts to see if it was an m10 or 3/8 etc..other times I needed to go to the “what’s this thing” board. I do have a bit of experience with fitting bolts and thread patterns however this one had me stumped. Glad the gent above found them. 

@Glem.Chally

well that’s a bummer…

Looks like I have an eBay return…. Thank goodness for buyer protection. The question is will these last long enough to need to replace the hoses eventually? Then what happens when that time comes…

Again cudos for finding the size!

Glem,

Thanks, knowing the size is half the battle.

Icy,

Think your problem hose is a rare one and seems no profit in carrying replacements for manufacturer. I've never heard of a problem with G1/4 end, most are with hooking up other end to the system. Agree, eBay return looks like your best bet, who knows, you might have gotten another's return? Long term replacement of hoses is a good point, maybe a manufacturer is following this thread and will help us out. Best of luck,

WM 

The answer to the thread compatibility question may be more tangled than you think. The "G" designation is British BSPP threading and is not universally compatible with anything but itself.

See this link for a complete explanation:

https://findanyanswer.com/what-is-a-g1-4-fitting

I have no professional knowledge on the subject, only what I read.

JE, reporting from the Cascadia Subduction Zone