Question/input on the hw30

Hello everyone,

Still doing research for a new air rifle since there is a huge shortage of air guns around here (weihrauchs are expected to be restocked in about a couple of months give or take). I stumbled upon the hw30 while reading on the forum and searching on the net.

It seems like a really nice option since it is lightweight, extremely durable and high quality, accurate and soft shooting!!! It seems to be a perfect compact rifle that can be used either on the bench or offhand!!! 

One thing that I have read however (on other forums mostly) which makes me worry a bit is the galling issue that has been reported on some earlier/older threads (on gta mostly) because of the articulated cocking arm.

I have also sent a message to weihrauch uk about it and they told me that there is no such thing as a galling issue with the hw30 (since they hardly ever had any complaints about it). 

I was wondering, is the galling issue, something that occurs often in this model? Perhaps the issue has circulated because of a few unlucky people that had problems with theirs?

Just asking because for the most part people have been singing praises for the 30 and when the time comes, I wouldn't want to buy a rifle that would require repairs and/or modification after minor use.

Any input would be welcome!! Thanks in advance!!! 

Stay safe and strong everyone!!!

I have a HW30 in .22 and a R7 in .177. I recently sent them off for a tune and found the .22 had a little galling and the R7 also which only had about 50 pellets through it also had a little. From what I understand they usually wear in and there is no issue, keep some moly in the wear area. I suspect most if not all have galling but the severity varies.JMO

If an hw30 has the galling issue, it usually isn’t a big deal and it will still be a delight to shoot. Galling is more an annoyance than something that impacts how the gun shoots. As mentioned, it can usually be fixed with some moly on the compression tube. 

R

Some people have claimed that with galling the gun starts tearing itself apart. That's why i made this thread in the first place. 

I have a HW 50 that was supposed to also have the same problem but mine hasn’t had any galling issues and after reading about the issue I applied Molly also to mine just in case.A year and a half with no problems yet.

I think that Weihrauch have sorted the issue on the Hw50; they have applied some kind of plastic/delrin insert in the area where the galling was supposed to take place. They haven't done anything like that on the Hw30 though.

Interesting. It's hard to believe you would get galling on a HW30. The forces are so low.

I don't have any first hand experience with the hw30. Just relaying the issue that I've read about. I find it a bit hard to believe too because it's such a small rifle with so little power. However people still report the issue. Thing is, I wouldn't want to get it and then have to spend time to open it up and modify it etc etc. I want to buy a rifle and a scope and just roll.

Just to be clear, the HW 30 has a two-piece cocking linkage; the issue under discussion happens when the "knuckle" of this design pops up against the bottom of the receiver tube during the cocking stroke (pic is an HW 35 but the basic design is the same). The gun's power has little effect on this.

BC80280C-469E-47D0-A105-C2D8C6762E0A.1635337273.jpeg

There will inevitably be some wear any time metal contacts metal, but as described above this is easily controlled. Keep some lube on the area, de-burr the edges of the rear cocking link if desired. I personally like the plastic inserts mentioned earlier - they fit into the rear cocking link (which is a U-shaped stamping) and stick up just a tiny fraction higher than its edges. But they are not strictly necessary.

The main advantage of this linkage design is in eliminating a long "tuning fork" slot under the fore end, and replacing two small screws in the sides of the fore end with a much bigger one, in a steel seat, beneath. This anchors action and stock together very solidly, and contributes much to the "real gun" feel of the classic Weihrauch designs that use it. HW and others have built countless guns this way for many decades, so you can have some confidence I think.

Just to be clear, the HW 30 has a two-piece cocking linkage; the issue under discussion happens when the "knuckle" of this design pops up against the bottom of the receiver tube during the cocking stroke (pic is an HW 35 but the basic design is the same). The gun's power has little effect on this.

BC80280C-469E-47D0-A105-C2D8C6762E0A.1635337273.jpeg

There will inevitably be some wear any time metal contacts metal, but as described above this is easily controlled. Keep some lube on the area, de-burr the edges of the rear cocking link if desired. I personally like the plastic inserts mentioned earlier - they fit into the rear cocking link (which is a U-shaped stamping) and stick up just a tiny fraction higher than its edges. But they are not strictly necessary.

The main advantage of this linkage design is in eliminating a long "tuning fork" slot under the fore end, and replacing two small screws in the sides of the fore end with a much bigger one, in a steel seat, beneath. This anchors action and stock together very solidly, and contributes much to the "real gun" feel of the classic Weihrauch designs that use it. HW and others have built countless guns this way for many decades, so you can have some confidence I think.

I see!! So, I'm guessing that it's not really that big of an issue? I mean, the reality is that it isn't since the hw30,35 and 50 all use the same basic design and still sell like hot cakes to this day. If it really was a critical issue that rendered the guns unusable then neither would they sell nor would they get the high ratings and praising reviews that they get. 

About the plastic insert; Weihrauch has implemented a plastic insert for the hw50. Some people say that it works, others say that it doesn't, while some others claim that it makes things worse.

That is why I made this topic basically. There are a lot of opinions on these rifles and I got a bit overwhelmed. But I guess that in the end the solution is to get one and just lube it. Eventually every air rifle will need to be lubed a bit, it's part of their maintenance procedure How often should this procedure take place?

That is why I made this topic basically. There are a lot of opinions on these rifles and I got a bit overwhelmed. But I guess that in the end the solution is to get one and just lube it.

The interwebs are a modern wonder, but can also trigger the classic "paralysis by analysis" syndrome! It's hard to be a newbie - which was true for me even before there was an internet! 

No manufactured item is ever completely perfect - and it's important to understand that a spring-piston airgun is an old-fashioned mechanical device that will work best after some wear-in, adjustment, and familiarization. But the good makers like Weihrauch certainly know what they're doing. You've picked a great rifle, and you've hit the nail on the head: in the end there's no substitute for getting it in hand and beginning your own in-person learning curve.

That is why I made this topic basically. There are a lot of opinions on these rifles and I got a bit overwhelmed. But I guess that in the end the solution is to get one and just lube it.

The interwebs are a modern wonder, but can also trigger the classic "paralysis by analysis" syndrome! It's hard to be a newbie - which was true for me even before there was an internet! 

No manufactured item is ever completely perfect - and it's important to understand that a spring-piston airgun is an old-fashioned mechanical device that will work best after some wear-in, adjustment, and familiarization. But the good makers like Weihrauch certainly know what they're doing. You've picked a great rifle, and you've hit the nail on the head: in the end there's no substitute for getting it in hand and beginning your own in-person learning curve.

Thanks for the input!! Now i will have to wait for it to be restocked to the official local weihrauch distributor. Fingers crossed until then!

In terms of 'galling' shooters who experienced it knew about it before the internet, but, there was no ready way to disseminate the information.

I have experienced quite severe galling on an HW99S, a very similar rifle to the HW50, which made the rifle very unpleasant to cock with a horrible scraping and grating feeling that ultimately caused some quite bad damage on the underside of the cylinder where the cocking arm was sliding over it. I got it sorted then sold it in favour of an HW95 with one piece cocking arm.

In the UK the HW99S has a bit of a reputation for galling, but when this is sorted they are cracking little rifles.

Ironically I have an early 1970's HW35E, a late 1960's HW30 and an early 1980's HW30 and none of these show signs of galling. Why the more recent HW99S rifles display this I do not know. 

In terms of 'galling' shooters who experienced it knew about it before the internet, but, there was no ready way to disseminate the information.

I have experienced quite severe galling on an HW99S, a very similar rifle to the HW50, which made the rifle very unpleasant to cock with a horrible scraping and grating feeling that ultimately caused some quite bad damage on the underside of the cylinder where the cocking arm was sliding over it. I got it sorted then sold it in favour of an HW95 with one piece cocking arm.

In the UK the HW99S has a bit of a reputation for galling, but when this is sorted they are cracking little rifles.

Ironically I have an early 1970's HW35E, a late 1960's HW30 and an early 1980's HW30 and none of these show signs of galling. Why the more recent HW99S rifles display this I do not know.

True, the Hw50/99s was/is more prone to galling issues. That is probably the reason why Weihrauch started putting plastic/delrin inserts in the cocking arm of the rifle since about 2012/13 in order to fix the issue. However, still opinions vary since even with the delrin insert, some people say that the issue has been resolved, others say that the insert didn't really sort things out while others claim that the insert made things worse. Total chaos in terms of opinions.