• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Question for you Donny FL Sumo fans

I purchased a Vulcan 2 in .22 caliber about 6 months ago. Personally, I live in a area that I don't need mouse fart guns to shoot although I do enjoy them. I now have another Vulcan 2 in 25 cal on the way. I have noticed that I can drop a 25 caliber pellet through the Sumo so my question is can I use this Sumo on the 25 caliber that is on the way? Appreciate any info you can convey. Thanks, Bill

When I ordered my first DonnyFL I was told by Donny to order the LDC 1 size up from the gun's bore. For example for the .177 caliber, use an LDC sized for .22 caliber, for my .22 caliber order an LDC sized for .25 caliber. 

This was to lower the possibility for clipping.

I have not had any problems with pellet clipping and the sound dampening using DonnyFl products beats other moderators I've used.

The moderators are made with room for the pellet to escape without being as tight as the barrel, so you will see that (across probably all moderators). You could drop the next higher caliber through it, but that doesn't mean you should shoot it through it! Some of the manufacturers, like DonnyFL, suggest going one more up just to be safe.

Consider that for a second... The moderator has extra space built in for tolerances when built for the correct pellet, but he still recommends going up one. If that doesn't tell you going down is not a good choice, I don't know what would. That pellet is not always going to come out perfect and in a precise line (which you would need), so I would NEVER suggest using a smaller moderator. That extra space is there for a reason. Not a risk worth taking. 

If you have the tools, you could open up your .22 cal SUMO to .315" and use it on both of your Vulcans.

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the replies. I measured the exit hole of my sumo several times with precision verniers and came up with .315 each time. The 25 caliber pellets I'm planning on using are JSB Hades with a head diameter of about .247-.248 and skirt diameter of .260 Could that be why it came on the 22 barrel and is actually a .25 caliber. There is no identification to size on it other than Donny FL SUMO.

I don't want to stretch the limits and break the Sumo, but I'm frugal enough to wish I could use it on the 25 caliber just because I'm sure that is likely to have the loudest report and don't care to buy a 2nd one. Does anyone know if Donny has a web site or a phone number I could call him at.

Yep, your SUMO is a .25 cal.

I use .25 cal mods on my .25 cal rifles without any problems.

Yours should work fine on your new .25 Vulcan.

Try it first and if it clips you can either modify the ID yourself or buy a .30 SUMO.

Good luck 👍 You won't break your SUMO. You'll just see your group sizes open up and a lot of weird flyers.

Let us know how it goes.

Matt

Here's Donny's site.

https://donnyfl.com/

Yep, your SUMO is a .25 cal.

I use .25 cal mods on my .25 cal rifles without any problems.

Yours should work fine on your new .25 Vulcan.

Try it first and if it clips you can either modify the ID yourself or buy a .30 SUMO.

Good luck 👍 You won't break your SUMO. You'll just see your group sizes open up and a lot of weird flyers.

Let us know how it goes.

Matt

Here's Donny's site.

https://donnyfl.com/

A few of the replies in this thread give the impression that changing calibers with the Sumo simply involves opening up the input side end cap to a larger diameter.

Is that the case?

Output side also?

Could that be done to other moderators as well?

Thanks

Ed

Hey guys! This is a really common question and for a good read. Naturally you would go with the same size caliber suppressor as your gun's caliber but through the years from personal experience and talking with airgun tuners, we find that if a gun has a shroud, most likely the barrel is not 100% centered. So when you add a suppressor to it, it increases the chance of clipping. The only time I would use the same caliber suppressor is when you're screwing it directly to the barrel. 

By going one caliber size up, it's not going to effect your accuracy. 

The one caliber size up really only applies to .22 and .25 since I have tight tolerances on those calibers. If you have a .30, .357, .457 or .50, it's ok to go with same size suppressor because I gave it more wiggle room.

Hope that helps!

Donny