• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question for long time PCP shooters

I did some research, and an o-ring dealer rated Buna o-rings at 5 to 15 years, depending on various factors like usage and quality. I have had some trouble here in Montana in the winter, because Buna is rated down to -10F, and my rifle has seen colder weather than that. A hair dryer or radiant heater and several hours of heat soak along with a shot of Napier Power Airgun Oil stopped the slow leak in my BSA Lonestar .25. I seriously doubt the Brits designed my air rifle for Montana winter temps because it never gets that cold in the UK. My rifle is 10 years old and never had a leak in hot weather, where it is used the most at PD towns.

UV light is death on o-rings, but that shouldn't be a factor in air rifles. O-rings can die a faster death in storage than in an air rifle, if they are exposed to UV light.

Long lasting of o'rings is also related with lubrication with silicone grease.

The faster the o'rings get dryer, the less they last.

IMG_20210217_091855101.1613575155.jpg

Long lasting of o'rings is also related with lubrication with silicone grease.

The faster the o'rings get dryer, the less they last.

IMG_20210217_091855101.1613575155.jpg

Just be sure you don't get this stuff, or any silicone, on metal-to-metal parts that are under pressure or heat. A lot of folks mistakenly think that silicone is a good metal lube, which it is not. And under high heat or pressure it will cause seizing.