Question for Alkin owners

In that case, when disconnecting the tank from the compressor, you would not need any bleed valve on the tank or on the whip.

That’s correct as long as you don’t have a gauge between the compressor and the tank. I’m not sure how that comes into play. It must act as a check valve and perhaps not all gauges would do that. ...

I don't know of any gauge that is setup that way. The gauge should be a small diameter tap into the HP line/side. It has no affect on the pressure in the line. It merely reads whatever pressure is in the line.

20200916_085629.1600309080.jpg

This is how I have mine configured. I talked to Aydin today. I said this would be a good way to set them up. Then put the adapter on the hose. 

But its funny how not one I have of the people I have sold a Alkin compressor to has had a issue with the whip. I have never received a call or anything. 

You have come off the bottom of the filter container? Would it not be better to come off the priority valve or the upper part of the filter container. It’s a little hard for me to see exactly what you have done but it seems you and I are heading in the same direction. 
As to why no others. I suspect just because they didn’t know any better (maybe) 

That explains a lot. Well maybe not a lot but it answers the immediate question. Sending out my whip today. I will be posting when it comes back. I appreciate the input from others. It’s how we learn. I’m learning from some of the younger guys. There is a lot more technology involved in shooting ( like the rest of life). I have some catching up to do. 

My Alkin mods should be complete in a week when the parts arrive. Alkin U.S. is sending an adapter to directly connect the fill hose to the DIN300 which lightens the hose connector by 2 pounds. I have two parts on order to complete the mod. One is a 2.5" 6K psi gauge and the other is a steel Tee connector added to where the fill hose attaches. The Tee is 1/4 NPT male to 2 1/4 NPT female at both output sides. I'll set the Tee vertically with the gauge at the top and the air hose at the bottom. 

The gauge is a convenience not a necessity since I can read the pressure on the tank gauge. Most dive compressors have the output hose on the frame with the exception of Bauer and Alkin which have them on the fill hose. I could also add a bleed screw but I will use the air tank bleed. The whole point of the mods is to lighten the fill hose and make the compressor a bit more user friendly. Total parts cost is only $25. 

These upgrades allow me to be in touch with my inner Rube Goldberg itch without going overboard.

I do not have a problem with the factory fill whip set up, quite the opposite, it works a treat when filling multiple tanks. I throw the toggle, disconnect and move fill whip to next tank, throw toggle and open tank valve and the Alkin kicks in and starts churning out the air. That is a W31 with the auto features of course.

As long as one is aware of the fact that the toggle does not bleed the entire fill whip, then one can plan accordingly, or modify it to suit their needs.

With the auto features one does have to pay heed to disconnecting at the end of a run, or the compressor will kick back in when you drain the whip or filter tower. I usually just unplug the unit and go through my disconnect and bleed down drill before wheeling it off into its corner spot to wait.

Today I received the adapter from Alkin which reduces the hose weight by 1.75 lbs. It omits the bleed lever, pressure gauge and two adapters from the fill hose. If you want a compressor where you get responsive service, buy an Alkin. They shipped this adapter on the same afternoon I asked about it. That is customer care like we rarely get when we buy equipment. Thank you David and Ayden.

Here is a photo of the fill hose with the take off parts above in the photo. Once I receive a Tee valve I have on order I'll install a gauge on the compressor although it's a convenience not a necessity. If you are new to compressors and tanks and are asking yourself why remove these parts? There is a gauge and bleed valve on the air tank already that read fill pressure and bleed the pressure from the hose after a fill.

Alkin Adapter copy.1600980942.jpg

Today I received the adapter from Alkin which reduces the hose weight by 1.75 lbs. It omits the bleed lever, pressure gauge and two adapters from the fill hose. 

After reading through this thread, I decided that I too, did not need/want extra stuff hanging from my fill hose on my Coltri compressor. I don't see the need for the additional valve that came on my compressor whip, so I deleted the shutoff valve (3/4 lb).

I was going to delete the bleed valve too and just use the condensate drain instead, but I discovered that bleeding via the condensate drain does not bleed the whip when there is a PMV present. My SCBA tank has a bleed vent on the whip, but my buddy bottle does not.