Tuning Question: Birchwood Casey Sealer & Filler

No, I don’t think it’s going to make I tougher, but it does wear well. I don’t remember the exact date, but I did this Sheridan some time in the early eighties. I had done an old Marlin before, and several others since. They all look great.

View attachment 422034
Those old Sheridan always had warm nice Walnut with linear grain.. true classics. Doc ,likes to say he was Mr.20 caliber.. But Sheridan owned that market. 👍

Last edited:
I don't like refinishing stocks. I've done too many of them in my life -- mostly using polyurethane or boiled linseed oil. I don't care for polyurethane for much of anything, really, but especially not stocks; and I got into big, big trouble the last time I used boiled linseed oil here because of the smell. So, I looked for other options on the internet, and discovered these two Birchwood Casey products.

I just finished using these on an HW97K stock, and I'm happy enough with how it turned out. And I found them both incredibly easy to use.

What do I want to accomplish with this ProSport? Mostly, I just want it to be protected from the weather -- I use my guns, not look at them or show them off -- and I want it to look nicer than it currently does so if I decide to sell it later on I might be able to at least not lose money on it.

Personally, I don't particularly care for gloss finishes on firearms or airguns, but when I see photos of other people's nice looking airguns on this list, I think that maybe if I spruce this up a bit, it might help with that last wish.

And I don't want to put a lot of work into this.

But if the ProSport has any kind of finish at all on it, I think that pretty much answers my question about whether or not to use wood hardener on it.

So, thanks, guys. I really appreciate it! You've been a great help to me.

Reactions: .20calguy
Don’t use True oil. It’s a glossy mess that ruins the wood And cheapens the look .

I can’t tell you the many steps to do a true sand in oil finish.. But I can tell you the end result is what high end firearms use.
Do some research. a few have had decent luck with Minwax antique oil and scotch Brite
I make my own ..I
I have a couple of stocks refinished with True Oil and they look good, but that was 50 years ago. I tried it a few years ago and the stuff was too thick and dried too quick to rub out to a smooth finish. Never again

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Some of them were spit oiled and dried out and will water spot but they were oiled by the manufacture ,Minilli I believe makes most all the air rifle stocks for manufactures. Air Arms is light on the stock finish.

WHATS YOUR END GOAL... ? Waterproof wood stock does not exist. Water repellent and resistant to some degree yes.. If poeres are sealed it will not water stain.

If your referring to ME , I did not “bully” you at all. . Internet bullying. 🤣
Really … Todays thin skinned world wants to be victimized every time someone disagrees with them.. 🧐

if you look back , I said , “as long as your happy”. Use whatever you desire.. Its your God given right ..

Followed by gaslighting...

You really dont see it, do you?

So, if it has a light coat of Danish oil on it, what would be an easy way to make it more water tight without messing it up?
It’s very thin. Dries slowly. Don’t use any other brand. Put it on and immediately wipe it dry. What penetrates is all you want.

E6494FBC-0B02-4666-A710-2653DAA29386.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using a home mixture called Slackum oil, I found the formula on the doublegunshp.com site a few years back, It uses BLO, carnauba wax, turpentine, and Venetian turpentine(adds gloss. It penetrates well but takes time. You can cut the carnauba in half and use beeswax also.

Slackum oil formula

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 gr
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers.

I have been using a home mixture called Slackum oil, I found the formula on the doublegunshp.com site a few years back, It uses BLO, carnauba wax, turpentine, and Venetian turpentine(adds gloss. It penetrates well but takes time. You can cut the carnauba in half and use beeswax also.

Slackum oil formula

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 gr
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers.
It’s a nice blend. I’ve used it a lot on speaker cabinets and end tables as sometimes I redundantly set a beer on them accidentally on my own stupidity..