• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question about sighting in my Gamo Whisper Elite

Greetings I just got my first gamo and I sighted it in at 30 feet and its accuracy is impressive. With it zeroed in at 30 feet, I then shot it at 60 feet and its impacting about 2.5 inches high. I them shot it at 90 feet and its about 3 inches high.

I would have expected it to drop the further I was from the target but that's no what Im finding.

Can anybody explain?

I would choose the middle distance to zero, aim high for shorter and low (depending on how much further, remembering that pellet will re-cross line of sight at a closer distance than when sighted in at 10 yards) for more distant targets...and PRACTICE practice practice at all ranges you expect to shoot. Might even write down range and impact info till you get really familiar with ranging and adjustments.

You didn't mention the caliber or pellet weight you are using so there is a lot of speculation coming. Gamo claims 1300 fps with a 4.7 grain PBA pellet. If that was true, that would put it at about a 18 fpe air rifle. If you were using a more 'normal' 8 or 10 grain pellet in that rifle, the pellet would reach it's in flight peak between 25 and 30 yards out then start dropping. At 18 fpe (if that is accurate) a 8 grain pellet would be going around 1000fps (which is pretty fast for long distance stability/accuracy for most rifles). A 10 grain pellet would be moving around 900 fps which would be better. If that 10 grain pellet is sighted in at 10 yards, it is going to also be above your cross hairs till about 45 yards (according to chairgun) where it will be back in the center again. 

I'd suggest downloading chair gun and plugging in your actual numbers then click graph to see what the flight curve looks like. If you want to shoot accurately at 30 yards with that rifle, I think you'll find sighting in at 25 or 30 yards is going to be a better fit than 10. With all the above speculation, sighted in at 30 will have the pellet basically on target from 15-30 yards and about a half inch low at 10.

Thanks everybody for the input. Like I said, Im a newb at this. As a firearms hunter and bowhunter that makes bows Ive owned a chronograph for many years so I did a lot of experimenting with pellet weights ranging from 4 to 11 grains to check speed to establish KE and Mo since I care to use this more for pest control than target shooting.
I settled on 8 grain, hollow point pellets and am getting good, one shot kills on tree rats, rabbits, coons, possums and skunks but I will re-zero for about 25 yards and check all the other ranges for hold over/unders.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b452/staysharpguide/coon_zpsx7j6hmty.jpg