Question about parallax adjustment knobs (slop in them)

Sorry for the inexperienced question. I have not had the opportunity to be able to handle more than a few scopes.

When rotating the parallax adjustment knob in one direction, stopping knob movement, and then trying to make a fine adjustment in the opposite direction....is it common for there to be a click or clunk that you can feel in your fingertips because for a small distance, the knob is moving (before the clunk) but did not yet catch and move the lens (or whatever assembly/system) the knob moves to correct the parallax error?

What about on the high end scopes (March, Kahles, Steiner, etc.)?

Thanks for any input.

I haven’t had that experience. Parallax adjustment should move smoothly, at least in my experience. Sometimes a parallax adjustment knob may be a little stiff/tight needing a little more torque to make adjustments. Some others can have a little play in the adjustment knob. Ones that I like tend to glide back and forth smoothly when making adjustments. 

I haven’t had that experience. Parallax adjustment should move smoothly, at least in my experience. Sometimes a parallax adjustment knob may be a little stiff/tight needing a little more torque to make adjustments. Some others can have a little play in the adjustment knob. Ones that I like tend to glide back and forth smoothly when making adjustments.

It moves smoothly. There is just the slightest bit of play when changing directions.

This is definitely not normal. What brand of scope is doing this? You may want to send it in for warranty if there is one on it.

I'd rather not stick any company out there. But I will say it is the top model from a manufacturer that markets low to mid range (IMO low to mid range) optics. I've already been through warranty. I got a replacement for the first one. But the replacement still has the issue....although, it is much better than the first one.

I do own a March and Kahles scope and nope, it does not do that.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I don't believe that I shoot good enough to justify a March (yet, but I will get one some day). Just missed an awesome sale too. The problem with March (or maybe it's a blessing) is the scope needs to be shipped to Japan for warranty work....although I would expect not to have to do that.

Thanks all that have commented so far.

On one of the scopes I own I've learned that I have to click 4 or 5 clicks in the OPPOSITE direction from where I want to go, then go back those 4 or 5 clicks, then click to where I originally intended. For some reason I get more accurate settings going through that process 1st. Not naming names but it's not a "cheap" scope but not a top of the line either. I'm aware I shouldn't HAVE to do it but that's what works for that particular scope. You might give it a try & see if it helps. 

Had to edit, I have to do it on elevation or windage, not parallax.