• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question about hand pumps and air tanks

I hope this does not sound dumb to those who know but can you take a hill pump and use it to fill or top off a SCBA cylinder like a 4500 PSI 60 cubic feet carbon fiber tank?

I and furious because my tank is down to 2800 PSI. I want to know could I use my hand pump to bring that tank up close to 3500or 4000 PSI?

If the answer is yes you can how does one go about it? Thank you

Not to be a smart A**. Lot of hand pumps for sale ...used once! Fork out the $$$ and buy a Hung Yeng water cooled. It takes about 20 min to bring a tank from 2800 back up to 3200+, thats a scuba tank. The 4500 PSI will take 1 1/2 hrs or more.Some one will chime in on that.I'm happy with just the 3200 psi tanks.I have two, fill them both up ,good for shooting for a couple months. But to HAND PUMP to 4500 PSI...that could be quite a story.

Not to be a smart A**. Lot of hand pumps for sale ...used once! Fork out the $$$ and buy a Hung Yeng water cooled. It takes about 20 min to bring a tank from 2800 back up to 3200+, thats a scuba tank. The 4500 PSI will take 1 1/2 hrs or more.Some one will chime in on that.I'm happy with just the 3200 psi tanks.I have two, fill them both up ,good for shooting for a couple months. But to HAND PUMP to 4500 PSI...that could be quite a story.

If your "Hung Yeng" is taking that long, you should probably prepare to get another compressor. I recently filled a Great White from empty to 4400 in just a few minutes over an hour. Top offs on that tank take well less than 30 minutes.

Hand pumps werq best for guns that require 2000psi it is difficult but still werqs for guns that require 3000psi. . Expect you might be able to do a little over 3000psi. Although not impossible I doubt you will want to pump to 3500psi. Most just fill their guns with a hand pump because of the labor involved. I used to fill a small 90ci tank to 3K for awhile so it is possible but it was not pleasant. See that you have a filter so you don't fill your tank or guns with moisture.

As far as how to do it you just connect the foster fitting on the pump to the tank or gun and pump slowly for five minutes or then take a break and let the pump cool off for fifteen minutes or so then go at it again.

I would agree with the others get a Yong Heng and be done with it.

Longbow53 sounds like you have a leak my Yong Heng does the same as bandg

Get the set pressure or the Hard cover 110V if you are in the USA

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815880523.html

I can fill a 2500psi with my Hill hand pump...takes about 40 more pumps that 2000psi...that can total over 120 pumps,takes about 10 minutes at most.

I would say 2200psi is not hard to achieve..but it takes time and I doubt you will want to do it again soon.

I usually do 3 PCP rifles or air pistols at a time...would guess 30 minutes for all taking my time...listening to some good music.

You won't be shooting right away,,need to calm the heart down,I am a senior potato,but my pump gets hotter than me.

Plus, filling "anything" produces unfiltered heat. This heat in turn produces moisture, which as you may know, is another word for...water.

Filling the tank the proper way, at a SCUBA shop, has an expensive drier between the pump and your tank, a hand pump does not. The hand pumps that do have driers on them...is on the wrong side of the pump. It's on the "inlet" side..! To do any good, the drier needs to be on the outlet, or pressure side of things to do any good to keep your gun...dry.

Have any questions, talk to someone that knows this stuff well, Joe at Topgun Airguns. He sells both guns and tanks/accessories. He knows his stuff.

Mike