Question about gas piston air rifle

I got a Ruger Yukon Magnum a couple years ago as a gift, and could never get it to group. I've put about 750-800 shots through it. I thought this would be an adequate break in period. I've tried both iron sights and the included scope, and can't get a group smaller than 5 inches at 20 yards. I've tried Crosman Premier Hollow Points, H&N Hunters, Polymags, and RWS Superdome pellets. All the same results. After every shot, you can't see down the barrel due to the amount of smoke rolling out. I would return it, but the warranty was only for 60 days. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Use Silicone Lube when oiling your gun, You are "dieseling" causing your pellets to shoot at different speeds, you should not have any Smoke coming out of the barrel if it is smoke and you can smell an oil burning smoke then that is part of your problem. It is very easy to over lube airguns or for that matter any gun. Very little oil should be used. 

As with any Springer learning to shoot one is an key essential to accuracy, research the artillery hold and learn it your groups will tighten up.

This is going to sound counter intuitive but find the heaviest pellets you can get your hands on and try them out, this will help slow the pellets down and might help. 

A tin of heavy pellets will help burn the oil out, and until that happens, between the velocity differences and the sooting of the bore, you will never get accuracy. Five inches at 20 yards is terrible, but have you actually read anything about shooting magnum springers? If not, then lay it on your open palm at or just forward of the balance point. Do not grab it. Point your trigger hand thumb up the back of the wrist in line with the barrel and using the pad of your finger, squeeze between your thumb and your trigger finger, like you were grasping something with them. Follow through, watching the pellet strike the target after the shot through the scope. Tension between the curled fingers of the trigger hand curled around the grip and your shoulder has to be learned for each rifle.

If you grab my Trail, it will shoot down and right. If you place it on a rest and let it buck, it will shoot high and produce a pattern. If you do it right, it will occasionally produce half inch groups at that range.

I haven't lubed it at all lol. I'm not new to air rifles, just threw it in the closet cause it was a p.o.s. accuracy wise. My other springers out shoot this one, including my $45 daisy 880 with bundled 4x32 scope which I can put pellets through the same hole all day with. Thanks for the input though. Currently have some 25grain pellets on order to burn off oil as the other guy said.

Use Silicone Lube when oiling your gun, You are "dieseling" causing your pellets to shoot at different speeds, you should not have any Smoke coming out of the barrel if it is smoke and you can smell an oil burning smoke then that is part of your problem. It is very easy to over lube airguns or for that matter any gun. Very little oil should be used. 

As with any Springer learning to shoot one is an key essential to accuracy, research the artillery hold and learn it your groups will tighten up.

This is going to sound counter intuitive but find the heaviest pellets you can get your hands on and try them out, this will help slow the pellets down and might help. 

All the gas-spring airguns I've ever owned never required chamber lube.

👆ditto

I have a .22 cal Benjamin Steel Eagle NP2 and a .177 NP2 as well. They both dieseled like crazy when I first got them. I cleaned the barrels real good and the dieseling stopped immediately. Probably pull 20 or so patches thought the .22 cal before they where coming out close to clean. That barrel was packed with grim. Accuracy greatly improved after cleaning. They both got way more quiet after cleaning too, especially the .22 cal. Haven’t done anything to either of them since the initial cleaning other than run a patch through the bore now and again. 

1f446.svg
ditto

I have a .22 cal Benjamin Steel Eagle NP2 and a .177 NP2 as well. They both dieseled like crazy when I first got them. I cleaned the barrels real good and the dieseling stopped immediately. Probably pull 20 or so patches thought the .22 cal before they where coming out close to clean. That barrel was packed with grim. Accuracy greatly improved after cleaning. They both got way more quiet after cleaning too, especially the .22 cal. Haven’t done anything to either of them since the initial cleaning other than run a patch through the bore now and again.

The one thing I've noticed is the black material buildup in the barrel of my Sig ASP20 actually increased velocity. After cleaning I couldn't figure out why my velocities dropped from the 850's to the 830's with the 14.7 gr Crux lead pellet. I decided to run a patch down my bore with a drop of PellGun oil and velocity went back to normal.