• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question about dedicated Air Archery gun v. an Arrow Barrel Kit...

With all the new offerings by Umarex in the Air Archery realm, I have gotten the bug and am wanting to try some air archery. I have a FX Crown and a couple FX Dreamlines and the Arrow Barrel Kit that will fit either rifle is only $99.00 verse $300-$500 or more for a dedicated air archery rifle. My question is, is one really any better than the other? Will a dedicated air archery air gun produce better accuracy and more power than a barrel kit will? For about $100, I'm thinking of trying the FX Arrow Barrel kit first to see if it's even anything I'd pursue before spending the money on a dedicated arrow shooter, just curious if anyone has already tried both and if so, what are your thoughts?

The crown will make a fine arrowgun and will shoot over 300 fps so plenty fast. Although some, of the dedicated units, are bit faster you really don't need it. Even 300 fps is fast enough to destroy your arrows quite handily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gMmQFH6-io&ab_channel=68.Whiskey.

I built my own Crosman Arrowgun/9mm carbine some years back. Recently put a longer tube on it for a few more shots. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/i-built-an-arrowgun-recovered-from-the-crosman-green-forum/?referrer=1

I believe you make a very good point! At $99.00, it's hard to beat when you already have the rest of it! It will be interesting to see the difference, if any, between the different platforms. My Crown is bone stock, the Dreamline Classic has the Huma Air Regulator and their Power Plenum, the difference in velocity between the Crown and Dreamline is almost 100 FPS shooting 25.39 grain pellets! Barrel length plays into this since the Crown is shooting from a 380mm barrel and the Dreamline is shooting from a 600mm barrel, so it will remain to be seen! Thanks for your thoughts...

Reactions: .20calguy
Neither,....I rather have a gun that shoots an arrow then I can load a bullet and shoot that right after and vice versa.

I would never get a dedicated arrow shooter.

I see your point, but a lot would depend upon the hunting laws for your area. If a dedicated arrow shooter is allowed during archery season and a bullet shooter isn't, there would be a lot less explaining to do with the game warden if what you were shooting wasn't capable of shooting bullets! And, I sure wouldn't want any bullets in my possession if they were not allowed during that season. Circumstances would definitely dictate...

Exactly! I guess I initially took your post differently than you intended. I was thinking you'd use a bullet as a back-up shot for the arrow! The FX Barrel kit will still leave me with the ability to pull the arrow barrel and swap back to a pellet or slug barrel, where the dedicated arrow guns don't have that capability. It just wouldn't be as easy as with the .50 cal that's capable of shooting both from the same barrel. I just don't have a real need for a .50 cal air gun, so the FX arrow kit is probably the most economical option for me. Thanks...

Exactly! I guess I initially took your post differently than you intended. I was thinking you'd use a bullet as a back-up shot for the arrow! The FX Barrel kit will still leave me with the ability to pull the arrow barrel and swap back to a pellet or slug barrel, where the dedicated arrow guns don't have that capability. It just wouldn't be as easy as with the .50 cal that's capable of shooting both from the same barrel. I just don't have a real need for a .50 cal air gun, so the FX arrow kit is probably the most economical option for me. Thanks...

Well I also sight the gun in initially with heavy bullets then fine tune with arrows ( you will see that arrows from an airgun need all all different kind of backstop :) )

Bur yes I like to have a quick back up with a bullet if needed after the arrow ,.....I can do that here.

You don't need a .50 cal, a .357 works too and it's very flexible with pellets, bullets and arrows.

I have killed many big game animals with the Benjamin airbow and the Umarex air saber. I love having a dedicated arrow gun. I like that I can set it up and tune it and it is always ready to go. For the dangerous game I have hunted I use the airbow.
40E14084-0709-4713-ABAC-4DA29B5AE4C4.1644717232.jpeg

I use the airbow because of the speed and increased foot pounds. I’m shooting 470 with the airbow and 320 with the saber. You will be lucky to get 250 with the arrow kit.

That option looks tempting, but I don’t like the thought of having to swap barrels to shoot various projectiles. I learned a lot from @Nomadic Pirate 66 and unfortunately for manufacturers of these types of barrel kits, I’m spoiled on the idea of “all-in-one” guns. My Bulldog gets more velocity than most of the dedicated airbows I’ve seen chronographed, as well as this arrow barrel option. The recent Iraqi Veteran Crown Continuum looks great, but again that barrel swapping is a deal breaker for me. I’ve gone from arrow to slug in the field with no swapping barrels or adjustments. After having that experience I can’t see myself going backwards. Albeit the FX Gatling prototype looks like an intriguing and novel concept.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore