RWS Question about a RWS 45

Does anyone who the date when the 45 went from a leather piston seal to a synthetic one ?
Much discussion about that on the interwebs with no firm answer. Seems like even quite a few of the later guns had leather seals, the guess is that they were using up what they had on hand. And of course you know what KWK is saying, the 3rd variant of the Diana 45 is a dressed up 34.

Reactions: MDriskill
The one I was looking at online has a March 1985 manufacturer date.
I just bought one. 1987 date, leather seal. I posted about it briefly. Very accurate, nice shot cycle with the short stroke. It’s a long gun, but I like how it handles. Recoil pad on mine was cracked, sounds like a common issue with them. New one installed so hoping to get some real time with it this weekend. I love the gun so far.

Wayne, They change to 34's in '88 from what I've read. The 45's were very popular. You see so many on the auction market. Very good gun too but not my taste. In UK many preferred it to the FWB 127/124. Interestingly, the 127 is more popular in UK than the 124. They preferred the two two.
Thanks Karl, there's a nice one on ebay made in 85. Seller claims it's new but ???

There's also a 127 on Ebay.

I just bought one. 1987 date, leather seal. I posted about it briefly. Very accurate, nice shot cycle with the short stroke. It’s a long gun, but I like how it handles. Recoil pad on mine was cracked, sounds like a common issue with them. New one installed so hoping to get some real time with it this weekend. I love the gun so far.
Good info ! What kind of velocity do you get ? I'm not all that keen on leather seals. Whether they be piston or
breech.

Good info ! What kind of velocity do you get ? I'm not all that keen on leather seals. Whether they be piston or
breech.
About 820 with AA 8.4 right around 12.5 FPE. Drops to a little under 12 with FTT. All I’ve had a chance to try. ES running around 20 FPS with both those pellets so a little higher than I’d like. Mine hadn’t been shot in quite awhile so it might shoot into shape. Will give it a refresh soon as I can. If you plan to scope it has no cheekpiece so you’ll want to point low as you can.

About 820 with AA 8.4 right around 12.5 FPE. Drops to a little under 12 with FTT. All I’ve had a chance to try. ES running around 20 FPS with both those pellets so a little higher than I’d like. Mine hadn’t been shot in quite awhile so it might shoot into shape. Will give it a refresh soon as I can. If you plan to scope it has no cheekpiece so you’ll want to point low as you can.
That velocity is right around my Feinwerkbau 124D with the AA 8.4's. My 124 is @ 810 fps. So
you're not to keen on the stock ?

breech.
Yes, the leather seals are not as effiecient as the synthetic seals, but they are more forgiving. Back in the day, I have massaged many leather seals back to like new, where a synthetic seal would have to be replaced.

I make my own leather seals. And single pointed a new screw. Then made the brass washer too. Many times. The thin brass washer has to be formed and hardened. For prewar BSA rifles. A percentage of the .22 caliber BSA's will have a BB embedded in the old seal. Or who knows what you may find in there including cut up nails.
IMG_1973.JPGIMG_1975.JPGIMG_1977.JPGIMG_1980.JPGIMG_1984.JPGIMG_2312.JPG

That velocity is right around my Feinwerkbau 124D with the AA 8.4's. My 124 is @ 810 fps. So
you're not to keen on the stock ?
Don’t think I said that. I like the stock. Just has no cheekpiece. Neither does my FWB 124. Just have to mount scope as low as possible and be sure you get consistent cheek placement.

I make my own leather seals. And single pointed a new screw. Then made the brass washer too. Many times. The thin brass washer has to be formed and hardened. For prewar BSA rifles. A percentage of the .22 caliber BSA's will have a BB embedded in the old seal. Or who knows what you may find in there including cut up nails.
View attachment 414398View attachment 414399View attachment 414400View attachment 414401View attachment 414402View attachment 414403
Great work Karl. How much oil do you put a leather seal and is it silicone base ?

In his 2015 report, Tom Gaylord presented a D45 made in August 1988 that still had a leather piston seal. That's within months of the last ever D45's off the factory. So, there is no solid cutoff between leather / synth sealed 45's.

A small number were made in .22 cal, a few in .20 cal, and a tiny fraction with a walnut stock. One of those would be SWEET to get!

Last edited: