• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quest of the .177 Caliber Benchrest PCP Rifle

Good decision. It will be very interesting to see how the .177 RAW competes against your .177 FX Crown.
Martin tells me that I WILL be very happy with it and I know he is correct. Now I cannot wait to get my hands on it.
ThomasT

Good decision. It will be very interesting to see how the .177 RAW competes against your .177 FX Crown.
I get the impression that those of you who advocate FX rifles in .177 for BR shooting spend a lot of time and money getting these guns to perform. A good quality rifle should be able to compete in BR right out of the box. If you buy a Thomas or RAW, there's no need to be buying additional barrels and screwing with regulators and stuff to get them to shoot.

So I owned this rifle a little over a year....shot one 25yard indoor BR match with it at Sherwood Airgunners. It shot three 250 cards for a 750 total score. I'd say it's pretty accurate 😉

PXL_20220305_151739460.PORTRAIT.jpg

I get the impression that those of you who advocate FX rifles in .177 for BR shooting spend a lot of time and money getting these guns to perform. A good quality rifle should be able to compete in BR right out of the box. If you buy a Thomas or RAW, there's no need to be buying additional barrels and screwing with regulators and stuff to get them to shoot.
I absolutely love the way my FX Crown MK II shoots (y) (y) (y) (y) :D(y)(y)(y)(y)
Nuff said.
ThomasT

Just shot this yesterday with mine using unsorted pellets. Of course I had to blow one shot.
Nice. Seeing that target makes me miss the HFT, and the cold weather gives me the itch to get back in the BR game. My best target, indoor at 50 ft...so close to 5x with Eley Tenex (love the clean holes). Did just as well the the JSB 8.44's.
I put 5x effort chasing BR with my Impact, got close but not in the same league as the HFT right out of the box.

1664414545511.png

Of course there is the MAC1 USFT/Hunter. Mine is currently back with Tim for upgrades. He's adding a sequential regulator system and states that he is getting 4fps standard deviation! I'm also getting a new .177 Lothar Walther polygonal slow twist barrel. Hopefully he'll have the work completed soon.

tempImageNHEj30.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mh
Of course there is the MAC1 USFT/Hunter. Mine is currently back with Tim for upgrades. He's adding a sequential regulator system and states that he is getting 4fps standard deviation! I'm also getting a new .177 Lothar Walther polygonal slow twist barrel. Hopefully he'll have the work completed soon.

View attachment 293539
Hi John,
I was looking at USFT pictures and noticed the barrel in your gun-for-sale picture had what looked like a barrel tuner on it near the muzzle. It is not in this picture. Was that a barrel tuner? Did Tim send that to you, or if not, where did you get it? How well did it work? I'm getting a new slow twist barrel from Tim for my unregulated USFT and am wondering if it will benefit from a moderator or other barrel harmonics accessory.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for the most accurate .177 caliber PCP rifle for benchrest target shooting at 25 and 50 yards. My FX Crown MK II .177 shooting MRD 13.43gr will shoot MOA at both 25 and 50 yards. I am wondering if there is a rifle that will shoot a lighter pellet as well as the Crown.

Tell me what you have that meets these specifications:
1) You must now own the rifle
2) Shoots 10.5 gr pellets or lighter
3) Able to shoot 10 out of 10 shots MOA at either 25 yards or 50 yards ( see attached target )
4) The rifle must have a mechanical trigger and can be fired from the shoulder ( no electric triggers )
5) Is it factory stock with just regular adjustable tuning
6) If it has been modified please explain

If you have a rifle that meets all of the above I would appreciate you sharing the information and any photos.

ThomasT

View attachment 291700
Wow, Thank you for that target! I will be able to make use of it when I start shooting again!

Hi John,
I was looking at USFT pictures and noticed the barrel in your gun-for-sale picture had what looked like a barrel tuner on it near the muzzle. It is not in this picture. Was that a barrel tuner? Did Tim send that to you, or if not, where did you get it? How well did it work? I'm getting a new slow twist barrel from Tim for my unregulated USFT and am wondering if it will benefit from a moderator or other barrel harmonics accessory.
It was a tuner from MAC1. I didn't work with enough to say one way or the other.

Reactions: RScott and ThomasT
FWIW, I know a guy who is trained to build and tune the Thomas guns. The supply chain is getting shorter and I will be making more Thomas rifles at an ever increasing rate as time goes by.

There has been a slight price increase due to raw material costs, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I am looking for feedback about what the current demand is for, benchrest or FT? I am building the Thomas guns in advance of posting them for sale. If you can tell me what you want, there is a better chance for your Thomas to get built on a short time scale.

Note: You can have any color of black that you want.