• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quest for reasonabley priced .177 easy shooter that is somewhat accurate

No idea what the Daisy is based on or what kind of seal it uses. I have shot it at 30 yards and have no problem hitting the reset paddle on my metal squirrel target (off a rest). Reset paddle is about the size of a golf ball. Keep in mind I’m doing this with open sights and my old eyes. If you throw a good scope and mount on there you could consistently reach out even further. 

I have no issue with the trigger. It’s not a match trigger by any means, but it doesn’t stick and the break is predictable. Some might think it’s heavy, I purposely did not modify the trigger because I’m teaching my son the fundamentals so he’s not reliant on how a weapon is configured to be a good shooter. 

So back to my comparison to the Crosman Phantom Hunter NP. The power plant is basically the same as the Crosman Vantage NP, Fury NP, Shockwave NP (the only difference is the stock). It’s exacly the same as the Crosman Stealth NP. Anyway the Phantom Hunter NP pushes the same pellet at 1000 FPS (only 50 FPS faster than the Daisy) and is at least three times harder to cock. The open sights on the Phantom (aka Steath) are complete crap mainly due to how the buttstock gets in the way with your cheek weld when trying to line them up (for me anyway). It’s not a rifle I would want to shoot with open sights because they do not align naturally when the rifle is brought to the high ready. The trigger is terrible as compared to my Daisy because it does stick at multiple locations before the break. The Daisy also shoots tighter groups with open sights, but this could be due to the terrible scope that comes with the Crosman. I say the scope because everything is locked down tight and it’s definitely not me. If it’s not the scope, then it’s the barrel. I have not had an opportunity to change scopes to see if the Phantom performs any better. 

For under $70 the Daisy is a very solid performer, it’s well built, and will perform up to ones abilities. 

I really appreciate everybody taking a look at my silly post and enduring with me.
My wife has informed me that "I already have a good air rifle". She also added that "Why would you want more frustration when you have one you seem to be happy with". She is of course referring to the Stoeger X20S2 I have. Ya know, she makes a point there. I'm going to try and chill out a little bit and enjoy what I do have that works. I'm still looking and always have an open eye for a great deal but yeah, she's right. 
It is very frustrating trying to find something that "fits" with what you want and expect. With me it is a price point thing too. Happily she knows this about me (she should after enduring me for over 26 yrs now total time), and realizes I'm a cheapskate but like to do little things to call something my own. That may be mod the trigger to be a little more friendly, take it apart and get all the mystery grease out, deburr it, polish those sharp spots, and pretty much fondle it.... I don't want to buy a new seal right off the bat just to make it shoot. Do not want to worry with having to cut then recrown a barrel, or see some horrible etched-in rust in a compression tube of an almost $300 air rifle. 

What I've encountered with more than a few air rifles is that for first time buyers or people new to the air rifle world there are a lot of JUNK air rifles out there. Worst of all people with less understanding or less mechanically inclined are going to possibly forever turn their backs on air rifles based off just one or two guns. I myself almost rage-quit them a day or two ago, out of pure frustration that there is so much garbage out there. I like to tinker, I like to fix things but I don't like the entire rifle to be a disaster that is not worth what you initially paid for it, much less getting higher end seals or springs for. 

Sadly as we all know, there seems to be a high ratio of BAD to Good units. I've seen far more bad air rifles out of the box than I have good. In the last 4 months alone I've had a ratio of 3 bad to 1 good. That is not a good ratio. It's ridiculous that $5 could be spent towards better quality control, higher rejection standards that would SAVE these companies BIG $$$$ in the long run and also not alienate potential buyers and/or old customers. I've seen a good Made in China air rifle and that is the Stoeger I have. They are very capable of making a good air rifle over there, it is just that the company buying from them has to set their foot down and ask for more, specify what they expect, and stick to it. I can not speak for all Stoegers but I can tell you the one I have is the best money ever spent on air rifle for me to date. ZERO regrets. Even if it does say Made In China. 

Sorry to rant, but I'm human like anyone else and perhaps a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. Good bunch of people here, thanks for being here.

"Jadocs"I just started another project this morning....refinishing the stock on my Benjamin Trail XL .25. I told the wife that these projects give my life purpose and she says “if you need purpose, I can give you a lot of projects”...it didn’t go over like I planned LOL.
"Only cowards commit suicide, we the brave ones, get married and die in a slow and painful manner" LOL

I have to give me wife props. She has tolerated my stupidity for many years, and also endured my younger selfish years.
There is a trick to this- Buy the wife something she REALLY wants first. Then get yourself something. However there is usually a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. At least 2 things for the wife first before you ever mention anything for yourself. 3 if you really want good leverage. How can she be mad when you already took care of her? It works wonders, within reason of course.

How About a CO2 powered gun like the QB 78
http://www.archerairguns.com/QB78-Chinese-Air-Rifle-p/qb78.htm
$99.99 they're being sold under the beeman name now.
Its a nice rifle out of the box but of course no cold weather performance.(below zero)
Archer has a lot of custom addons like repeater breaches, custom goodies etc. they'll test it even offer a tune for another fifty bucks.

I think you can improve any one of your spring piston air rifles but cutting the spring by a few coils and reducing the power level. It will be easier to cock as well. If you keep the velocity under 800 fps, you should get the accuracy you are seeking. The shot cycle recoil will improve as well. When you disassemble your rifle. you might as well add a shim (aluminum can cut up) with some grease between the spring and spring guide to reduce the shot vibrations.

​If you able to spend a little bit more, you can get a HW30S for $224 plus $50 shipping.
https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/weihrauch-hw30-s-9229.html#all_specifications 

Good Luck

I can say me and several of my friends have been using crosman/Benjamin and Gamo break barrels for years. All of us preferring crosman/Benji over Gamo
Have you dry fired these guns before you took the apart? Also if you're talking them apart, why don't you take them apart right out of the box and smooth out any burs where metal meets metal? 
These break barrels are usually pretty hold sensitive. That may be a contributing factor. Cheap scopes don't help either. 
I have a crosman NP1 gasram with a Hammers 3-9x32AO mildots scope on a one piece mount and have been drilling bottle caps from 20-50 yards for years with it. I know several other people with similar set ups doing the same thing
I think you need more patience and practice. If you can afford PCPs there are a few at the $200 range, but you will need a pump or a fill tank
The PCP has no recoil and dosnt effect the life span of a scope. 

Go to Flying Dragon Airguns , there are several.different Xiscico models that he sells tuned for 200.00 or less. 
Personally I think the B26 was one of the best Chinese guns, a copy of the HW95 complete with a copied Rekord trigger. I have one in .22 caliber that I tuned and it is very accurate, bettering just about all my high dollar European Springers and getting beat by none of them. 
Sadly the B26 I'd no longer available, I believe it's now marketed under the Remington brand but I don't know what changes were made. Maybe some one here knows. 
Like I said go to Flying dragons and look at the underlever Mike has in stock. I have seen a lot of good reviews on this rifle. It powerful and fits your requested options. 

I overlooked the answer but luckily "guthhook" nailed it.

Call Mike! All your problems are solved, under $200.00 - well how about exactly $200 for the best magnum rifle?- totally stripped/de-burred/lubed and anything else needed as well as a lifetime ( Mike's ) warranty. I hjave prdered 6 rifles from Mike over the years and only one problem and that was I was shipped someones else's rifle but Mike dealt with it at his expense.
This is his M28
b4d3d1f3473f8a4306a418bff650c2ed.jpg

26.5fpe in real life and smoother than a tuned 12fpe RWS48.

All the lower powered rifles are a value also.

John

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/category&path=59