• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quest for reasonabley priced .177 easy shooter that is somewhat accurate

I'd like to pop a question to everybody.
I've been fairly disappointed in air rifles and see a lot of factory-induced damages to piston seals when I have opened up every single air rifle I have. (Hatsan 95, Crosman Stealth Shot, Stoeger X20S2, RWS Diana 34) So with that being said I see no reason to spend more than necessary if they are buggered up from the factory to begin with.

What I'm looking for is something that is less than $200 that is fairly accurate (can hit a 1.5" circle out to a max of 30 yds, with golf ball accuracy up to 20 yds). Now I'm not expecting ragged one hole groups or an enormous amount of power. What I would like is something I can disassemble and clean, deburr, and if necessary get a new piston seal or breech seal for if that need arises. I'm open to the chinese copies if they are good. Matter of fact I'm not seeing much difference in quality of chinese vs Diana 34 at this point. I've got a nitro piston air rifle already (Crosman Stealth Shot) and not too impressed with the nitro piston or what it offers. It's a harsher shot cycle and I can't get the damn thing to shoot consistently (replaced piston seal and barrel pivot washers already, checked and polished crown, deburred and such). So it's pure junk and there really isn't any help for that one I don't think. It's a horrible shooter. The Stoeger shoots reasonably well and is acceptable to a point. I do not care for the suppressor too much as the baffles in there make felt cleaning pellets disappear to later be blown up when shooting pellets. But out of all I like that one the best so far.

The Diana 34 shot the best groups up close but had other issues that made it defective. When you get into that price range more is expected from me of an air rifle. I realize a lot of you may see that as still cheap but to me it's too much to spend. I really have no choice here but to be frugal.

Ok, so again I'm looking for an air rifle that is worth owning and doesn't cause my back to ache because of the cocking effort. A lot of people are against springs, but I'm seeing an advantage to them vs nitro pistons. You can tune a springer lower out of the box if you want, but you can't with a nitro. You can get a stronger spring if you want in most cases or add washer for a wee bit more power, with a nitro you're stuck.
Now I know most lesser costing air rifles may have horrible triggers, but I don't care. As long as it is workable and it can be tweaked some I'm good with that also.

So what do you think? Any ideas on what I can buy now?
Yes, I'm being difficult and expecting a lot for a little but tired of getting junk. Junk can be expensive too (34 sample I sent back, and also the Walther Terrus that was grinding and was not accurate). I'm on the verge of saying to heck with air rifles at this point as it seems to me there is little to no attention to quality control regardless of price point. If it isn't the piston seal, it's the barrel, and if not that some other stupid event. I really enjoy working on the guns to be honest but yet to find one that totally makes me happy. I am limited to what I can spend on one, otherwise I'd own a PCP. But those things come with headaches too like keeping the air in it and the costs associated are way out of my league. That won't change.

Ok to sum it up what I'm looking for
1) Reasonable accuracy as stated above(out to 30 yds)
2) .177 caliber only
3) easy to cycle (when I shoot I want it to be fun not a chore)
4) decent potential and parts availability
5) can kill a squirrel out to 30 yds maximum
6) Chinese made platform is ok with me if it is solid and workable

I really can't say enough here about how much I enjoy shooting air rifles when they are working and when they don't shift point of impact from day to day. I've read all the tricks and applied them. The only one that is reasonable at this time for me is the Stoeger X20S2 but it has it's own little quirks.

What I have NOT tried:
Gamo brand anything, never owned one
Umarex brand air rifles
Benjamin anything(prob just as bad as Crosmans)
Ruger anything (a mish-mash of umarex stuff)
Remington branded air rifles (more umarex stuff I think)
Anything not listed above

"Have Spring Compressor and will dismantle"

I recently bought a Gamo ACCU 177. I had read great reviews on the accuracy. The gun shot well out of the box but was still dieseling after 150 shots. I tore the gun down and found that the piston seal and the O Ring rotary breach seal were both damaged. When I contacted Gamo I was VERY surprised to find out that you need a FFL to order replacement seals from Gamo. A person I met on a Air Gun forum directed me to a company called Air Rifle Headquarters. I was able to buy the parts I needed along with a replacement spring I really didn't need but I believed it would be better than the spring Gamo supplied. The cost of these parts was about $30.

I put the rifle back together with a grease that would not diesel and am VERY satisfied with the accuracy.

I believe that Gamo is in the process of discontinuing these rifles. There are still a few available but you might have to wait a few weeks for the rifle to come in.

You can pick one of these rifles up for around $200 (less with the 10% off at P.A. You will have to buy the replacement seal and O ring and grease. I believe this rifle (properly tuned) would meet and possible exceed what you have said you are looking for.

Geezer

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it. The fact they want you to have an FFL for a dang seal seals the deal for me. No to Gamo .
I ended up buying a Ruger Air Hawk Elite II at the local Wally World. $106 out the door.
Fired 2 rounds through it and 22 rifle cracking and smoke. Going to tear her down and see what's she is made of.
Will post up a complete review (already found some stuff). Hopefully it will be at least entertaining to see this thing inside.

DO NOT BUY RUGER AIR HAWK ELITE II....!!! I HAVE HAD THIS GUN
FOR LESS THAN A MONTH..BARREL BENT UPWARDS AND THE SCREWS
KEPT COMING LOOSE UNTIL THEY WOULD NOT TIGHTEN ANYMORE...!!

3f063f4caac281c420d0fe430b81889c.jpg

How about going really low-cost and giving the Daisy 880 a try. Right now, the local Walmart is clearing them out for $35 (this is the Powerline 880S, which includes a very cheap scope). But PA and AGD have it for about $50 ($45 without the cheap scope). With a bit of practice, it is certainly accurate to 30 yds, it's easy to cycle, you can control the amount of power by changing the number of pumps you give it, it's .177 cal and it has parts availability everywhere. Also, it's basically indestructible, weighs less than 4 lbs and there are a ton of mods if you want to mess around with it. Just a thought.

It could be the piston seal - Daisy sells a seals package for (literally) $1.00 if you want to try and replace it. These are really some of the easiest AGs to disassemble and service - am I allowed to post a Youtube video link here? I'll try - this guy has several videos that are really step-by-step and clearly explained. The first one is about replacing seals: 

Sorry you got a bad one - I often see the boxes opened and the guns having clearly been dry-fired many many times by people. And I'm sure the QA/QC isn't the greatest for a $35 AG. 

I always get a bad one it seems. Was willing to give this Ruger Airhawk Elite II a chance but what a bad example. It had so much china mystery grease it was awful. Umm.. I will come clean.. I did tear her down. And inside was a TORN piston seal. In addition to that were some very horrible sharp edges (more than likely what sliced the piston seal on assembly). I thought there was hope but put the piston and seal back in carefully and it was indeed leaking down. When I pushed the piston down while sealing up the front air port the air just SWISHED out from the piston area. No bounce back up at all. re-assembled it and boxed her back up. Piston was crude also with pits. The nitro tube looked rather cheap made also, being very light compared to the Crosman I have(which won't shoot well). Compression tube itself was okay-ish. It did look like the little piece up front that engages the detent ball was cock-eyed a little also. It wasn't square.
So this one looked nice from the outside but inside nothing was good at all. I'm not real sure how that plastic sight rail would have worked out anyway. It is not attached to anything but the stock really and just slides over the compression tube/receiver.

Do I feel bad about taking it apart and now going to return it to Wally World?? H- NO. I rarely return anything but in this case it is a definite yes.
If the piston seal would have been okay and not leaked down I'd have kept it. I tried another piston seal in it but soon found out it was too small.
By the way,
The inside diameter of this one was 1.010" The seal on the air rifle was .994 and that did not count the torn lip that obliterated the lip edge causing the seal problem.Barrel rifling looked good, crown looked good. Trigger was iffy but might could have been worked on.

It's hard to get a shooter out of the box these days.

The D34 had a canted front sight. Out of the box it grinded when cocking the barrel. Of course it was also honking. It was doing some horizontal stringing also. Inside the seal was also damaged, but surely no worse than this Ruger. I had planned on keeping that D34 but when I opened it up to clean/lube with moly I seen rust in the tube. It was surely no worse than this Airpoop Elite 2 but considering what that Diana costs compared to this one it wasn't worth what I paid for it. Back it went.

Oops - my bad, i thought your return was in regard to my post about the 880 bc that's where my head was at having just posted that msg before. Sounds like you've had a bad experience with your Diana 34 - otherwise I might have suggested a refurbed Diana 340 n-tec (or the similar gas rams like the AR8 or the AM03). PA has a refurbed AM03 for $279 right now. Way more money, even refurbed. What about something like a QB78? Under $100.

Check out the CZ/Slavia 634. It's no powerhouse, does about 725 fps with JSB 8.4s. It has some quirks but the accuracy is there. Comes in a butt-ugly black and blue plastic stock, has really nice metal open sights. It has a barrel latch for a more positive lock up. Trigger is not bad IF you pull it with safety on, then release safety and take your shot. I got mine for $109 shipped from Hinterland Outfitters in Texas. It has a very boingy shot cycle, but I'm finding it easy to shoot accurately.
1a37c17b9120561353bf93a9094d54df.jpg

So, a low-cost .177 single shot break barrel that's easy (i.e. requires little effort) to cock, huh? Well, except for the "You can tune a springer lower out of the box if you want, but you can’t with a nitro. You can get a stronger spring if you want in most cases or add washer for a wee bit more power, with a nitro you’re stuck" caveat I'd say I have a gun you should consider: the Crosman F4 with a de-tuned Nitro Piston action. I bought one from Walmart online (the F4 is a Walmart-exclusive version of the Crosman Fire NP) for under $100 and love it. I have no chrony available to me so my assessment of power/fps is mostly seat-of-the-pants but I am certain it is running no more than 625 fps. Cocking effort is "youth model" easy but the gun is a full sized rifle meant for adults. Yes, the NP isn't something you can easily adjust by adding washers or trimming coils, but it is such a well-behaved cycle that I can't see any need to make changes. The gun has great accuracy out to 25 meters (my in-yard limit) and just a little work to the trigger (the bearing fix and longer trigger adjustment screw) has it letting off with a light and crisp single stage to aid accuracy. My F4 loves the Vortex Supreme pellets (Hatsan branded) in 8.64 gr with the H&N FTT at 8.6 gr in the backup spot. Take a look online at Walmart.com for the Crosman F4 and especially the de-tuned version.

I can tell you that my Daisy 1101WS has really impressed me. I’m not a big fan of the .177 (less forgiving out in the elements vs .22 and above), but this rifle has been very reliable and accurate. It is also surprisingly well built. It’s actually one of my favorite break barrels. Very smooth operation, and the barrel locks up beautifully and consistently. The open sites are very nice and very useable, so much so that I’m not using the scope. Very easy to cock (my 12yr old has no problem) and it’s launching Crosman Premier 7.4 grain pellets at 950 FPS. <- that surprised me the most because it’s so easy to cock. 

It it blows my Crosman Phantom Hunter .177 out of the water. 

I picked mine mine up at Bass Pro for $49 over Thanksgiving and Midway has them on sale for $67.99 right now. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019473325/daisy-1101ws-air-rifle-177-caliber-pellet-wood-stock-blue-barrel-with-4x32-scope