N/A Quality trouble free PCP

What's your idea of a quality trouble free PCP that will reward with GREAT 50yd accuracy. I already own a BSA R10 (Huma-Air regulated) and an AA510 non regulated. Both are capable of 1/2in with no wind and its favorite pellet (FX 16gr) at 50yd. Not wanting to push past 50, just want best options available. I realize that RAW or FX would be more accurate, but at what cost. I just want to shoot, not work on the things. Oh and it has to be magazine fed. No single shots. Too much time.
You will find that RAW and FX will not likely leak any more than any other gun. Based on observation, most problems arise from too much tinkering.

Reactions: Dextrose and qball
If you want a trouble free PCP, the closest is a one o'ring (on the bottle) older non regulated Rapid, simple built to last and yup, just ONE O'ring! But, your BSA R10 is as good as it gets at 50yds.
This peaked my interest. Can you give more info on which Rapid air rifle(s) you are talking about? Links, etc. And are the one O-ring models still available new and in .177?

Many thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

This peaked my interest. Can you give more info on which Rapid air rifle(s) you are talking about? Links, etc. And are the one O-ring models still available new and in .177?

Many thanks!

All my best!

Kerry
Kerry, you might have to call Martin of Airguns-USA he is the one who builds custom RAW's and heard he might be able to build an older Rapid for you. If not you'll have to wait till someone sells one in the classifieds, they are hard to find.

Reactions: BackStop
Kerry, you might have to call Martin of Airguns-USA he is the one who builds custom RAW's and heard he might be able to build an older Rapid for you. If not you'll have to wait till someone sells one in the classifieds, they are hard to find.
Thanks for the reply. Obviously, I knew/know nothing about Rapid/RAW/Rapid Air Worx, but simply the concept of a PCP without all the O-rings intrigued me. Aside from the price, that is one BIG thing that has kept me from ever considering most FX guns.

For similar reasons and what I use my airguns for (pesting) I lean towards non-regulated guns. I don't need a long shot string, just consistency starting with the first shot even after the gun has been sitting for a long time. All regulators fail and creep eventually and sooner than some like to believe. (smile)

Are there any other air rifles that use significantly less O-rings similar to Rapid?

Thanks again!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s. Did not mean to hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
I too have the R10 and S510 FAC Carbine. Very high quality and accurate for sure. If you want to add even more quality and beauty to that collection, I would go for a pre-owned electronic Daystate Air Wolf MCT or Mk 4. I own both and the electronic trigger is what makes them so consistently one-hole accurate. Beautiful rifles, highest quality and trouble-free.

View attachment 433317

View attachment 433318

View attachment 433320
That is one beautiful gun. I wish more would use nice wood instead of tacticool black

Reactions: Dextrose
Thanks for the reply. Obviously, I knew/know nothing about Rapid/RAW/Rapid Air Worx, but simply the concept of a PCP without all the O-rings intrigued me. Aside from the price, that is one BIG thing that has kept me from ever considering most FX guns.

For similar reasons and what I use my airguns for (pesting) I lean towards non-regulated guns. I don't need a long shot string, just consistency starting with the first shot even after the gun has been sitting for a long time. All regulators fail and creep eventually and sooner than some like to believe. (smile)

Are there any other air rifles that use significantly less O-rings similar to Rapid?

Thanks again!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s. Did not mean to hijack this thread.
Like corvid hunter said below....AF airguns also are very simple builds. I used to have non regulated PCP's but having such flat shot strings like my RAW, I'm talking 0-8fps spread is great for target but also hunting/pesting as you don't have to adjust or worry about a POI shift out in the field so, yeah, I am a regulated gun person now. ..😂. My regulated RAW has I believe 11-12 o'rings TOTAL including the regulator....one of the main reasons I purchased it.

Like corvid hunter said below....AF airguns also are very simple builds. I used to have non regulated PCP's but having such flat shot strings like my RAW, I'm talking 0-8fps spread is great for target but also hunting/pesting as you don't have to adjust or worry about a POI shift out in the field so, yeah, I am a regulated gun person now. ..😂. My regulated RAW has I believe 11-12 o'rings TOTAL including the regulator....one of the main reasons I purchased it.
I am really liking my regulated guns too, but my Airforce gun has a well defined purpose where flat shot strings are not a big issue. That and taking one shot at a time just makes me slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing. I think that at the end of the day, single shots make you a better marksman. Everyone should consider having at least one of them.

I am really liking my regulated guns too, but my Airforce gun has a well defined purpose where flat shot strings are not a big issue. That and taking one shot at a time just makes me slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing. I think that at the end of the day, single shots make you a better marksman. Everyone should consider having at least one of them.
I too just shoot my PCP's by single loading like you, slows me down and gets me thru my routine better 👍 when target shooting. The only time I use a magazine is when I hunt/pest.

Reactions: jmohme
Regulated guns are fine until the regulators start to significantly creep and they all do eventually. Just one more thing, right?

For about 2 years, my Fortitude .177 didn't seem to show any creep, but I may have just not considered that was the problem. I really think it was creeping long before that, but I was blaming either me or the scope... or the wind... (chuckle) BTW, the Fortitude is one of the best PCPs I have ever owned for accuracy/precision out to 40 yards. Yeah, I know... but if you could come here and shoot it you would agree. (smile)

In any case, when hunting/pesting that FIRST SHOT after the gun has been sitting for a while is MOST important. Yeah, you can say just fire a couple of shots to reset the regulator before you start aiming when TARGET shooting, but that is seldom possible when hunting/pesting. Especially when you may be stalking and waiting for a long time before the quarry presents a safe reasonable shot.

In target shooting/plinking , shot count can mean a lot, but for me and anyone like me, shot count isn't NEARLY as important as accuracy and especially that FIRST shot.

I usually only get one chance at the tree rats and chipmunks in my back yard and even when I shoot out to ~96 yards, it is still a one/first shot deal most of the time.

So... I prefer non-regulated guns because once I have tuned it and know the pressure range that gives me a small SD and ES, (for instance 5fps SD and 10fps ES), INCLUDING THAT FIRST SHOT, which is the most important shot for me. with my Akela .177 that means I shoot from about 2650psi to ~2500psi and is enough for at least 2 mags of 14 pellets. However, I seldom let the pressure get that low before I top off. Then I test a shot or 2 over the chrono at my 10m indoor range to make sure it is where I want it and then I know the next shot will be accurate/precise even if the gun sits for a LONG time. I can't say that for the regulated Fortitude. I have gotten used to the massive creep of the Fortitude and know how much to hold over for the first shot, but I only use the Fortitude for very short range shots now where the 50-60fps difference between the first and next shots doesn't make as much difference in accuracy/precision, but I still hold over on that first shot.

Regulators creep. Regulators fail. Some creep/fail sooner than later, but they all creep and if you really need that FIRST shot to count... forget the regulator.

Just my humble anecdotal opinion based on my own personal experience.

Of course, if you want to have a LONG shot string that has a great SD/ES (except for that critical first shot), then by all means go for it! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited: