Quality Scope with PARALAX of LESS THAN 10 YARDS?

I like that the Athlon Helos 2-12×44 is FFP, and has a 30mm tube, as opposed to 1".
But, 10 yard parallax is right on the border, for me personally....
3 yd. is sooo tempting.
Ive had 2 recent events, where a $2000 airgun/scope combo were almost useless, due to a sudden, close-range pest target.
Almost humilitating when this happens.
A $1000 scope become worthless, when the target is too close.
Id like to fix that situation, but I still need the scope to be funtional at 100 yards as well.
I may be asking for too much!
Time will tell....
Since the 3 yards low parallax is a priority, I would try that first. I just got out the Athlon Helos and it is just over the ten yards parallax adjustment range.
But turning the power down to 6× puts it in focus well, so with good eye placement it will work.

Reactions: Airgun Al
I like that the Athlon Helos 2-12×44 is FFP, and has a 30mm tube, as opposed to 1".
3 yd. is sooo tempting.
Ive had 2 recent events, where a $2000 airgun/scope combo were almost useless, due to a sudden, close-range pest target.
Id like to fix that situation, but I still need the scope to be funtional at 100 yards as well.
Time will tell....
Did you think how many times will you shoot at 3yards with x12 magnification? Will you be shooting ants in their legs? This athlon is a superb scope for the money. The only thing I would change is make a center dot a bit smaller. Other than that it is a perfect scope.

Did you think how many times will you shoot at 3yards with x12 magnification? Will you be shooting ants in their legs? This athlon is a superb scope for the money. The only thing I would change is make a center dot a bit smaller. Other than that it is a perfect scope.
At 3 yards, I would simply use the 2X magnafication, on a 2-12 scope, and not the 12X !

At 3 yards, I would simply use the 2X magnafication, on a 2-12 scope, and not the 12X !
I tried it on mine way below 10 yards just earlier. At 2x, you can still see the floating center dot. Like I said earlier, the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 for a FFP is a great scope when also used at low magnification.

Athlon Argos HMR 2x12x42 SFP daylight bright IR, super sweet wide field of view at 2x. Particularly useful for close range shooting like the 10 yards you stated. Clear, crisp glass, and a 1” tube to keep it light. Mine came with a gun purchase, so I didn’t choose it. But its proven a very nice scope.
Looks like a nice scope for its purpose. How do you like it compared to your Westhunter? Twice as good (at twice the price)?

Looks like a nice scope for its purpose. How do you like it compared to your Westhunter? Twice as good (at twice the price)?
Not twice as good, the Westhunter has served me well, the glass on the HMR is much better and so is the IR. For pesting from 10 to 40, 50 yards it been great. And though I prefer FFP scopes, this one has served well particularly at 2x for close range mice or rats.

3 yd. is sooo tempting.
Time will tell....
This may be unconventional, but you can mount a side mount to your scope and then add a small red dot. I had a property with ground squirrels ranging from two yards to 100 yards. I'd used a red dots for the two to 10-yard shots - usually I'd have to take the shot v. quickly. The red dot was quite handy. For all the other shots, I could use the scope.

I like my Athlon scope but my one experience with UTG was bad. The scope wouldn't hold zero and they did not honor the warranty. So no more UTGs for me. My Athlon is a Talos 6-24 and it is my only scope that will focus to less than 10 yards but is rated to 10 yards. My Arken EPL-4 6-24 will not focus at 10, it's closest is more like 13 yards. My Vector Sentinel 8-32 wll not focus at 10 yards but it's closer, probably about 12 yards. I haven't tested my other scopes that I remember. But even when a scope says it will focus at 10 yards my experience is that may or may not be true. The glass in my Athlon is also noticably better than my Vector but to be fair the Vector is the bottom of their line, I believe. My Talos is almost as clear as my Arken (which costs about $100 more). I think Arken scopes are great buys but I wouldn't get one hoping it will focus at under 10 yards.

I'd also be careful of FFP if you want to be able to use the lowest rated power of your scope. The 6X of my Arken is pretty much useless. The reticle is fine and works great for target shooting but when I turn it down to 6X I cannot see it. Even with illumination. 8X is about the lowest useful magnification. A thicker reticle would work better but then it may not work as well for target shooting at high power. Unless you are really going to use the scope markings for holdover and cannot have hold overs by magnification I would get a SFP scope. Reticle is just as usable at minimum magnification as maximum. I use 6X for hunting/pesting and may use 16X for FTT some day so I just note the hold overs for these two magnifications. A little more complicated but better than having to turn up the power so high it's hard to find the target.

Another consideration is the SWFA 3-15 which has IIRC a 6Y close focus.

But I just compared my FFP HG2 2-12 and my SFP Heras 2-12. Although both focus a fairly clean image at 3Y on 2x my Heras is a tad more focused. Of course both have parallax error this close in.
Another yard or 3 out they are focused all the way on 2x and that opens the door to focusing on 3x or thereabouts. I'm guessing these have much better glass than other competitors mentioned.

I like both scopes a lot but with the illume on the reticle in the HG2 stands out much more for especially black bulls and the reticle is near perfect for that purpose being round like a aperture with a dot in the middle. And no denying its one of the most versatile scopes on the market. I've used mine for shooting flies at 10Y on paper and on rocks across a river at 27Y, fast shooting on steel with my ProX semi auto pcp out to 110Y, on a pistol for PFT Hunter, and on the AR from 50Y out to 1143Y on long range steel. So HG2 gets my vote as #1.

Leupold 50ft focus adapter.
I've used them before and they'll bring the focus close to 10 yards.
This could potentially widen the field of "quality" scopes to shoot around 10 yards

But at $62ish...they are not cheap
and
You'll need a way to secure the adapter if the diameter or thread size doesn't fit.

Last edited:
You are probably overwhelmed with suggestions as this is a tough choice. I am sort of in the same boat trying to decide on my first scope that is a step above UTG. You have a bunch of suggestions the input I have is if I were you with that many close shots I would eliminate anything FFP as you will be zoomed way down on power a lot which makes the reticles hard to even see.

You are probably overwhelmed with suggestions as this is a tough choice. I am sort of in the same boat trying to decide on my first scope that is a step above UTG. You have a bunch of suggestions the input I have is if I were you with that many close shots I would eliminate anything FFP as you will be zoomed way down on power a lot which makes the reticles hard to even see.
Great suggestion on skipping the FFP, due to my short range need!
I was indeed overwhelmed, but the more research I do, its begining to look like UTG may be the ONLY scope on earth, that will focus down to 3 yards!
Dont let the inexpensive prices on UTG's fool you into buying something that you may not need, based ONLY on price!
Expensive does NOT always translate into better.
UTG's are decent optics.
I own several different UTG's ,and I have zero complaints from any of them, other than my new desire, for a 3 yard parralax!

Reactions: Perle
Great suggestion on skipping the FFP, due to my short range need!
I was indeed overwhelmed, but the more research I do, its begining to look like UTG may be the ONLY scope on earth, that will focus down to 3 yards!
Dont let the inexpensive prices on UTG's fool you into buying something that you may not need, based ONLY on price!
Expensive does NOT always translate into better.
UTG's are decent optics.
I own several different UTG's ,and I have zero complaints from any of them, other than my new desire, for a 3 yard parralax!
I have several UTG scopes and def am pleased for sure. I should have stated tok that I have never owned a ffp scope but it just seems they wouldn’t be ideal for closer range hunting. It’s what has kept me away from them for now. Might go down that path however.

3 yd. is sooo tempting.
Time will tell....
Then I think the UTG Bug Buster would be the one to buy. I have it on one of my PCPs and yes, the 3-yard minimum focus distance is extremely advantageous. Just don't be asking too much of it when you're going for precision shooting beyond 60 yards. At a maximum magnification of 9X, I can still hit the tips of palm leaves at 50 yards, and I know I would still be able to hit them with the same precision even at slightly greater (LOL, what an oxymoron) distances, which I'd say is a tremendous capability for the scope's price.

Last edited:
T
Thanks for your reminder on the "FFP" choice. Will eliminate those on my search for a HW 30s scope.