• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quality control/reliability?

I suppose that if I had an unlimited amount of disposable income that I wouldn't concern myself about the quality control or reliability of the airguns being offered to the public. Since I don't have the luxury of excessive income, I'm being very deliberate in selecting my entry to the wonderful world of PCPs. I have watched hundreds of videos reviewing the various guns on the market paying special attention to the warranty being given with each offering. I find it just a little disconcerting that one of the more expensive manufacturers only warrants his product for one year. Yes, I still drool uncontrolably over the adds, photos and written articles featuring these great looking airguns. And then I look at a manufacturer from across the big pond and see that he offers a three year warranty on his products. Both of these guys have been in the business for quite a while and both offer a bewildering amount of variations with either synthetic or wood stocks, bull pups and full sized guns. I guess that the question I'm trying to get out is why does one manufacturer feel that his guns are only going to work right for a year and the other is confident enough to offer the three year warranty? I might as well let the other shoe drop and ask why there is no standard in the business requiring truth in advertising? Why not let the public know how long they can reasonably expect their gun to perform as advertised and expected while excersizing reasonable care and feeding of them? I'm just asking. Anyone else out there feel the same?

I'm from Liverpool in the UK and I recently bought a BSA r10 special edition from the airgun center in Essex. They offer lifetime servicing and warranty with EVERY gun they sell and encourage you to send your pcp back to them every six months for a free service. This is definitely the way to go and I will never buy an air rifle from anywhere else for this reason.

Quality control and reliability often vary between batches, with issues usually arising from new users reporting a new variety of effects …. The cause of which has to be identified …..sometimes without help from the manufacturer. A slight modification of design or part change at the factory can have enormous consequences, some of which the manufacturer was unaware of and some they think irrelevant; which isn’t necessarily what users think! One manufacturer is terrible for classifying faults as issues. Something users seem unaware of is that some Western rifles have parts produced in Asia, for assembly in the West, despite the rifle stating the rifles were made in a particular country.

I am horrified to read when people have committed to buy rifles that they know little about, which have not had final designs approved, have not been manufactured or tested properly…..and obviously that goes before being personally handled by the consumer. Always be wary of rifle reviews in which the reviewer didn’t pick the rifle themselves (as a simple/unidentified "Joe") from a store shelf. Some manufacturers have specific review models and threaten consequences if they don’t get that particular model back!?!

Parts availability is a serious problem with some brands of rifle. One manufacturer I know simply won’t sell parts, and one just can’t be bothered to produce spare parts for many rifles. These manufacturers leave the market open for others to produce spare parts, but at a cost to the customer.

Some people don’t care about a warranty because we will usually, after checking that a new rifle shoots accurately, strip it to see how it works and then improve/upgrade it. PCP’s tend to follow a similar basic/old outline, lack a revolutionary feature, with many being over-priced in terms of what they are.