N/A Quality big bore also capable of taking deer?

This discussion started in a thread in the hunting forum. However I didn't really want to hijack their thread too much. I also tried searching through the forums but many were older threads.

Yesterday at work in the woods we were talking airguns again. They were surprised at overall how quiet they were. The discussion moved to deer hunting. Many were impressed that people hunt with them too (although Ohio currently doesn't allow for it) . I'd never considered big bores much but its gotten me looking into them and trying to learn about them. They also are getting curious about them.

I've not had the opportunity to see a big bore rifle in person yet, let alone shoot one. I know it takes more air to push larger projectiles so they tend to be louder than smaller calibers. However what are some quieter models as thats a big draw to air rifles for myself and others. I certainly want to avoid the noise levels of powder burner if possible. Are suppressors viable on big bore rifles?

Price aside, as I don't mind paying more for quality, IF theres a difference and improvement in fit finish and performance, what big bore air rifles would you recommend? What are some that have the capability for taking deer? (state laws aside as I know that varies) Are there any you would avoid and why?

User Cheplicki replied in the other thread:

I would recommend a bulldog in 357 or 45.. more then enough power and you can keep the sound down.. air-force Texan and AEA element 457 would be a great gun.. I would avoid really long guns if you're trying to keep the sound down because u will have a 6ft rifle after you add a suppressor lol.. there are a lot of great deer guns out there but it all depends on what you want to spend..

I appreciate any other suggestions or insights.

I've had multiple big bores over the years and have taken several deer with them. As far as muffling them... you can, but as Cheplicki mentioned, the tradeoff is quite a bit more length and I've not noticed too much of a difference anyway with adding various moderators.
Regardless, the noise levels do not approach PB levels. I've heard several folks comment before about a big bore being as loud as a powder burner and makes me question whether or not they've even heard a powder burner. They are loud and boomy, but I've never felt the need for ear protection. Perhaps if I was tethered and shooting a lot in one session it would be comfortable.

As to my thoughts on some...

AirForce... Easy to work on if need be and can be found in the classifieds often. Support, both from the company and from user base is excellent. I've had the long and the short version of the 457. I prefer the carbine. I have tried a moderator on it, but dont care for it and moderation is negligible.

AEA... As long as you stay away from semi auto, seems solid... trigger on mine wasnt great and to be honest, I just didnt care for ergonomics of it. Sold it. Still, I love the looks of them. Mine was reasonably accurate, though not a showstopper

Bulldog... caveat, mine has been worked over by Veradium Air. Before that, it was solid. No issues. Moderate power and was accurate. Now it's a powerhouse and still reliable. As with the AF guns, plenty of aftermarket and user support. Again, have tried a moderator on it and didnt care for it. Ugly to my eyes, but ergonomics are good.

DAQ... simple and classy. Moderate power that's now over shined by fancier guns. Still quite capable for deer sized game.

Edit... as to your question on quality... I have to second the recommendation on AF or the Bulldog. I've seen the $$$ big bores, and have shot some. I didnt see the $$$ justified in spending a premium. If pride of ownership is important to you or there is a particular one that floats your boat, then perhaps. For me, no.

I've had multiple big bores over the years and have taken several deer with them. As far as muffling them... you can, but as Cheplicki mentioned, the tradeoff is quite a bit more length and I've not noticed too much of a difference anyway with adding various moderators.
Regardless, the noise levels do not approach PB levels. I've heard several folks comment before about a big bore being as loud as a powder burner and makes me question whether or not they've even heard a powder burner. They are loud and boomy, but I've never felt the need for ear protection. Perhaps if I was tethered and shooting a lot in one session it would be comfortable.

AirForce... Easy to work on if need be and can be found in the classifieds often. Support, both from the company and from user base is excellent. I've had the long and the short version of the 457. I prefer the carbine. I have tried a moderator on it, but dont care for it and moderation is negligible.

AEA... As long as you stay away from semi auto, seems solid... trigger on mine wasnt great and to be honest, I just didnt care for ergonomics of it. Sold it. Still, I love the looks of them. Mine was reasonably accurate, though not a showstopper

Bulldog... caveat, mine has been worked over by Veradium Air. Before that, it was solid. No issues. Moderate power and was accurate. Now it's a powerhouse and still reliable. As with the AF guns, plenty of aftermarket and user support. Again, have tried a moderator on it and didnt care for it. Ugly to my eyes, but ergonomics are good.

DAQ... simple and classy. Moderate power that's now over shined by fancier guns. Still quite capable for deer sized game.

Edit... as to your question on quality... I have to second the recommendation on AF or the Bulldog. I've seen the $$$ big bores, and have shot some. I didnt see the $$$ justified in spending a premium. If pride of ownership is important to you or there is a particular one that floats your boat, then perhaps. For me, no.
Thank you for the deep and detailed insights. Its greatly appreciated especially with your experience.

Pride ownership has never really been my thing. Above all I want functionality and reliability. While looks may play a part in deciding on rifles, its secondary. Especially for something I'll only shoot every so often. I don't expect to be shooting big bores much but thought it would be nice to have something to take deer with without drawing too much attention or breaking the peacefulness of the outdoors.

If I want something that looks good and gets attention, it would be a redwolf midnight, wolverine sapphire or maybe the alpha wolf blue as I would use those far more than a bigbore.

If I want something that looks good and gets attention, it would be a redwolf midnight, wolverine sapphire or maybe the alpha wolf blue as I would use those far more than a bigbore.
Agree. I've spent $$$ on small calibers because I know the fun factor will be there more and I will shot them more. I only occasionally shoot my big bores.

Airforce is the way to go. I have had bulldogs,pitbulls,aea bullpup and challenger pro, even shot a buddies extreme big bore. I now have a 357 texan and it just wipes the floor with all the rest. Better trigger than all but the ebb, with some work that will be better too. Easy to load. Pellets do 200fpe and alugs are 250-400 fpe depending on shot count you want. Stacks all i have shot through it so far at 50yds. Stretching it to a 100 today if i get time to put a decent scope on it. Dont make fun that it peed a little, it was excited to blast some poop. Lmao

20231005_162230.jpg

017A900E-E676-4740-93E3-FD0194EB71A8.jpeg

The Texan .457 is much loved at my house during deer season. My daughter pictured above plans to get her deer this year with it. I ordered this first generation Texan fairly immediately after they were made available. Ordered a shroud for it and yeah it’s long. But I just pretend to be Quigley Down Under and it’s all good.
My last deer last year was shot offhand at maybe 40 yards or so, so it’s easily handled for such. The other deer pictured from last year was 75-80 yards.
Nielsen 290gr hollowpoints.
Can’t wait for the leaves to start falling this year.

This discussion started in a thread in the hunting forum. However I didn't really want to hijack their thread too much. I also tried searching through the forums but many were older threads.

Yesterday at work in the woods we were talking airguns again. They were surprised at overall how quiet they were. The discussion moved to deer hunting. Many were impressed that people hunt with them too (although Ohio currently doesn't allow for it) . I'd never considered big bores much but its gotten me looking into them and trying to learn about them. They also are getting curious about them.

I've not had the opportunity to see a big bore rifle in person yet, let alone shoot one. I know it takes more air to push larger projectiles so they tend to be louder than smaller calibers. However what are some quieter models as thats a big draw to air rifles for myself and others. I certainly want to avoid the noise levels of powder burner if possible. Are suppressors viable on big bore rifles?

Price aside, as I don't mind paying more for quality, IF theres a difference and improvement in fit finish and performance, what big bore air rifles would you recommend? What are some that have the capability for taking deer? (state laws aside as I know that varies) Are there any you would avoid and why?

User Cheplicki replied in the other thread:

I would recommend a bulldog in 357 or 45.. more then enough power and you can keep the sound down.. air-force Texan and AEA element 457 would be a great gun.. I would avoid really long guns if you're trying to keep the sound down because u will have a 6ft rifle after you add a suppressor lol.. there are a lot of great deer guns out there but it all depends on what you want to spend..

I appreciate any other suggestions or

TEXAN .457 SS / LS 👍🏻 BOTH ARE A FINE CHOICE ,I CAN VOUCH

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I am going to added a caveat to the OP question. I am going to EBR next year and I am going to compete in Big bore as well in production class. So no mods at all. 240fpe minimum. I cannot hunt deer with this in OK so will not be shot a lot except for practicing some and coyotes. . I will not be casting my own slugs buying only. I am between the bulldog and Texan. Probably the 457 in the bulldog. Don't know about the Texan caliber Like I said just for competition so 240fpe minimum. That is my max on budget.

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Take a look at my post from last year and two seasons hunting with Veradium Air Taurus's:

Take a look at my post from last year and two seasons hunting with Veradium Air Taurus's:

I don't want to shoot a custom must be factory no mods

When I am at our winter home in Coastal Georgia, I hunt feral hogs nightly. Some of these hogs are pushing 300 pounds plus and are tough as nails. I use a AirForce Texan LSS CF in .457 using NSA 298 Knurled slugs and it hits with authority. The built-in moderator works well and the report well below PB levels. The sound of the impact seems louder to me than the shot itself.

Although the gun is long at 52”, I have zero difficulty stalking prey along my trails. I do however use a tripod which greatly stabilizes this behemoth. I simply carry the tripod horizontally by one of the legs and the rifle rests on my right shoulder. It takes two seconds to put the tripod down, flip the rifle into the bipod V and I’m ready to go.

If I can get this kind of performance on feral hogs, you will have zero issues with deer.

FD3C55BF-C95A-4AE1-9999-58908F3B337F.jpeg

CCD49432-6C38-4200-9FA6-A5B333E22513.jpeg

I’m new to air gun hunting bought a swa .20 gauge which is nice for turkey and you can take turkey choke out and put rifle choke in very well built basic gun built by Terry Tate in Texas patterns well with shot for turkey and 500 fpe with slugs I also just purchased a Texan .457 cf ls from Chad at lethal air haven’t hunted yet rifle opens the 4th here in Florida hope to have a success story seems like all the videos I’ve been watching they get the job done haven’t seen a lot of feed back from Florida hunters our wood are thick for tracking no snow for blood trail and thick pines so don’t loose all the leaves for visibility you guys go for vitals or the off button I read about want to be ethical

I’m new to air gun hunting bought a swa .20 gauge which is nice for turkey and you can take turkey choke out and put rifle choke in very well built basic gun built by Terry Tate in Texas patterns well with shot for turkey and 500 fpe with slugs I also just purchased a Texan .457 cf ls from Chad at lethal air haven’t hunted yet rifle opens the 4th here in Florida hope to have a success story seems like all the videos I’ve been watching they get the job done haven’t seen a lot of feed back from Florida hunters our wood are thick for tracking no snow for blood trail and thick pines so don’t loose all the leaves for visibility you guys go for vitals or the off button I read about want to be ethical
Where are they selling the swa now?

Quiet and big bore don’t go together unless you’re looking at a long gun with a long moderator (which others have stated) or .30 caliber rifles which can present a challenge trying to legally hunt deer. In the majority of states whose airgun hunting laws I’ve reviewed a .30 caliber is not legal. In addition to other suggestions, you may also want to look into the Western Bushbuck and Bushpig rifles. Maybe even a Western Rattler.