Qball Crosman 1701P build thread

Been messing around with the 1701P and no matter what I do there is still a bell curve even at 450fps. Also there is the ping from the air chamber and vibration from the hammer. So I broke down and ordered huma regulator for it. I’m sure Odoyle will decry murder for introducing “cancer” to my gun but a regulator gun simply shoots better/smoother and have more shots per fill. My 1720T with huma air is simply sublime! 

also sanded down the knife markings on the Eva foam stock but need finer sand paper so it’s not us fuzzy. 

Amazon check valve and hand pump got here well before Crosman’s replacement can get here so installed that and bam! My little low power laser is back!!! 

recent I have a new friend visiting my yard and the 1701 is perfect for feeding my new friend! Can’t wait!!!

4BBC0034-D60D-407F-A1BA-0C106867FFBB.1612025583.jpeg

@qball, sweet that you have that little raptor visiting. I'm fortunate to have them on the property and have witnessed kills at the bird feeders. Looking forward to your experience/impressions on regulating the 1701p

doh!!! Sorry, Forgot to post that! Right before my check valve gave up I added the huma regulator and.......promptly took it out! 

here are the 2 reasons I took it out:

- the tube is tiny so the regulator with plenum took up too much space and shot count went to hell

- I set the regulator at 90, 95 and 100 bars the gun simply sounds louder. My theory is the valve is designed for higher pressure so let’s out too much air even though I turn the HS to lowest and limited valve travel it was louder and shot count went down to less than 20 even though I fill it all the way to 3000 psi.

The reason I bought the regulator is to maybe squeeze out a few more shots but also to reduce mechanical sounds and vibration. Before the regulator I install the orient buffer mod to get a flatter shot string but I didn’t like it because I need to increase HS which increased vibration especially because my stock tube is carbon and it transfers every little bit of that vibration.

In the end I.....gasp....went back to stock form and took out all mods! Master YOda was right about the 1701 is great from the factory. Not sure how far from factory my current tune is but I’m at half turn from all the way out on the HS, valve travel is somewhere around all the way open. I fill to around 2700 PSI or just about 3000 psi when using hand pump and after disconnecting the gun’s gauge settle to around 2600-2700 psi. On chrono the gun shoots 450 FPS on the dot over and over and over until about 1800 psi which gives me 30-40 shots with less than 10 ES and less than 3 SD. I am the proof that you can’t improve the factory tune of a 1701p.

moral of the story? DON’T waste your money on a regulator, in fact DON’T even touch the tune on this gun from the factory!!! However the 1720 is sublime with the huma regulator. 

@qball, thank you for your honest insights on the 1701p. All I've been doing with mine is shooting it as it came out the box. Was testing pellets at 15 yards and was very happy with the 5 shot groups I was getting. Shot eight, five shot groups with four different pellets. All the groups smaller than a dime. She currently has a Talos 3-12x40mm atop and is proving to be a fun, fun gun to shoot. That I can easily pump it up is a big bonus.

@qball, thank you for your honest insights on the 1701p. All I've been doing with mine is shooting it as it came out the box. Was testing pellets at 15 yards and was very happy with the 5 shot groups I was getting. Shot eight, five shot groups with four different pellets. All the groups smaller than a dime. She currently has a Talos 3-12x40mm atop and is proving to be a fun, fun gun to shoot. That I can easily pump it up is a big bonus.

Awesome! Don’t touch a thing on it!! Don’t be like me!😅😂🤣

btw when it comes to pellets mine seems to really like the 7.4 crosman pointed pellet out to 34 yards, pretty confident at hitting a quarter at 34 yards leaning against a wall even with a little wind. The 7.9 CPHP pellets are great up to around 25 but spread a descent amount pass 30. Both can do 1 enlarged hole hole at 20 yards. In mine they have different POI so mine has a strict diet of 7.4 pointed. Even at 34 yards if the house sparrow stay still long enough(rare) I sometimes go for head shot. I’m too cheap to try other pellets. 

Wow Qball what a long and twisted road to return to stock! I have not TOUCHED my tune as I LOVE the way it shoots. I was a phone call away from some new TP's and other goodies off a 1720 when I decided to get a Diana Bandit for pesting instead. Dang thing is I had a grey squirrel in the yard when I was shooting the 1701 and drilled him in the eye with a JSB Exact RS and I have never had a squirrel drop Stone cold dead like this one did. Pellet traveled through the skull and lodged in the shoulder. He was sitting on a log and fell over dead and never even twitched! Not sure what this is shooting at as it has been too cold for any chrony work. But Mr. Squirrel says it hits dang hard!

20210103_142646.1612133850.jpg

All good!

@Stenfanjan great shot! This proves we don’t need 100 FPE to drop tree rats DRT! how far was it? We are talking 3-3.5 FPE folks and the squirrel is very much deader!!! 

Yes, it was embarrassingly long and expensive road back to stock but hopefully other will learn from my mistake and not try to “improve” the 1701 like I did. 

I’m kicking myself for not buying that 1701 in the classified. 

Been absolutely loving the 1701P in micro carbine and just wrecking the pesky house sparrows. I'm keeping my bird feeder well stocked for our beloved golden finches and doves, of course I'm secretly hoping it could eventually attract the flock of starlings i've been seeing lately for the lead buffet. However the 1701 and the 1720 really spoiled me, supreme accuracy and consisncy with fantastic trigger and of course the VA grips are simply sublime. This left me wanting and now I've completely lost interest in my PP700, the lack of grip options and the not so great trigger is really bothering me now to the point I simply don't shoot them. So the obvious fix is another 1701P! Hit the order button on crosman site with our discount and immediately order a camo laminate ambidextrous grip. Anyone want a couple of great shooting PP700s? LOL 

This was a straight clear no wind 10 yard shot withing an inch or 2 lol I would normally not have tried a shot like this but I was shooting from the bench and had such a clear and perfect shot. These dang tree rats have been eating up my shed and I have declared all out war on them.

Nice!!! I would have never even think about taking on a squirrel with 450 FPS .177 or 3.5 FPE before but this low power journey(thanks to Odoyle) has opened my eyes! Can’t wait to take down a squirrel with the 1701 like how you just did! Speaking of which saw a squirrel in my tree but it disappeared like a ghost in the few seconds it took for me crap the 1701! Rats! 

on a different note my 1701’s pressure gauge died, got the replacement today and even has Teflon tape on it. Replaced the gauge in minutes, super happy and impressed with crosman customer service! 

Ha! So after all of that you are back to a bone stock 1701P and selling your pp700's. Any plans on customizing the looks at all?

not really, just VA grip on order and still deciding on which direction I want to go with moderator and sight. Keeping it as pistol though so probably stick with sig Romeo microreflex red dot and for moderator probably stick with airgun universe plastic moderator for the weight savings. 

The 1701P is just like my dream-tac compact I had, I modified it a million ways and the bone stock version is the best. Sold it because .25 was way too much power so hopefully a .177 dream-tac will show up today! Selling the PP700s because they are a little too hot and I simply prefer my 1701 and 1720.

Got into my Crosman and other parts and decided to put this carbine together.

TP has been drilled out .079 other items added and installed

Air Gun Universe moderator (really quiets it down)

Magpul MOE forend

UTG 3-9 X32 mil dot scope

Boom stick slip on finger groove hand grip

AR Stock adapter

MFT adjustable butt stock 

This is the result of a little effort

100_0889.1612800275.JPG
100_0890.1612800286.JPG
100_0891.1612800297.JPG
100_0892.1612800317.JPG
100_0893.1612800327.JPG
100_0894.1612800338.JPG