Qball Crosman 1701P build thread

42D0F2C6-9E83-4CEA-9F41-DBA50A842008.1610315957.jpeg

added an angle foregrip because I’m all about tacticool! 

@qball, loving the grips... now please slim down that buttstock.
1f60a.svg
Lighten her back up.

Now my dilemma is this: should I go back to pistol or stay in carbine form? The rear stock is carbon tube and Eva foam so it’s pretty light already. I can further lighten it if I get rid of the folding stock adapter which is 5-6 oz. I suck at pistol and really like the carbine form when it comes to shooting.......🤔🤔🤔

@qball, loving the grips... now please slim down that buttstock.
1f60a.svg
Lighten her back up.

Now my dilemma is this: should I go back to pistol or stay in carbine form? The rear stock is carbon tube and Eva foam so it’s pretty light already. I can further lighten it if I get rid of the folding stock adapter which is 5-6 oz. I suck at pistol and really like the carbine form when it comes to shooting.......
1f914.svg
1f914.svg
1f914.svg

I would loose that folding part and the foam stock, replace it with a carve wood to match the grip

I just make my own grip or stock, problem with that, the wood grip looks like its a hard to get one is a small piece. what kind of a wood is that?

It’s made from zebra wood and can be found on eBay in smaller chunks, seems like they are mainly from Turkey. 

I really like the carbine format so will try a smaller foam stock so it doesn’t look so bulky. 

Did you hear an airlock sound when you fitted the grips, Mr. QB? 😝

I told you it was worth the wait, and I know exactly what you mean about the photo not doing it any justice 🤓

You know, I actually have a round sleeve in Forest Green laminate and a butt pad of the same color to fit the A2 AR tube.

I bought an Aero Precision 10” AR A2 tube (IMHO, they are the best in fit/finish) and had it sent to Mr. Austin last year as template—yes, I gave it to him as template and a gift for my project.

The 2 laminates he made for me are very exacting in fit, I even had to grease them lightly.

Anyway, I did not use the laminate sleeve, as I happen to prefer the longer and softer foam sleeves (my rosy right cheek likes to be caressed, you know 😝) I bought from TacBro in Cali, but the butt pad is attached to the A2 tube still.

Since the 10” A2 tube is just a single length, I had to have multiple AR adapters for the 13xx/22xx/17xx from different makes and lenghts; i.e., JSAR, RAI, and custom made ones in from Canada by Mr. Al/Gippeto (GTA) to afford me the ideal LOP, but I do have other customized tubes.

Oh, I did order a stunted 7.5” A2 tube I found just last night with exactly the same OD as the standard length A2 tube (have to check the brand again).

I wish it was 8.5” though.

Enjoy your new grips 🤓

The laminate butt pad to fit the A2 tube was the same price ($60) as the gips
1f913.svg

It is secured by a single dome-head screw of the same thread as the countersunk mil spec screw for the A2.

Oh that could be interesting! Got pictures of the butt pad? I do happy to like the feel of the foam pad like you. Decisions decisions......

think in the main time I’ll make a smaller “butt pad” and loose the camo wrap and fore grip. Maybe Vernon can make a fore grip, I would much prefer that. The skinny steel air tube isn’t very comfortable to hold onto when shooting. 

I will post a photo when I get home, but, as I recall, it is in this thead 🤓

Unfortunately, he does not do forearms for the 22xx/17xx, but I was able to convince him at one point to do so, then I kind of changed my mind and just went for the PIKE/Tactical Innovations 10/22 receiver rail in 3/4” height— I think I have 4 or 5 of them in various colors.

I don’t see any reason why he can’t do the aforesaid forearms though; them being much simpler in design compared to the 13xx’s.

His 13xx forearms are also very nice and clean.

Your other option is to purchase a DISCO stock (your 1701P gauge will align with the gauge hole), which is less than $50 shipped from Crosman, but you do have to cut the forearm by 3” or so to enable the fill adapter to potrude.

The DISCO grip is very chunky though, so I had to reshape mine a bit for added comfort.

Moreover, a Challenger/MROD trigger assembly has to be fitted for the said project, or a 2260/DISCO trigger assembly (not a big fan of the plastic construction that is why I bought the uber expensive MAP version).

Like you, I am not a pistolero, although I can shoot them very decently, but I would rather shoot mine as a carbine were I to hunt.

After much tinkering with the stock and trying the original mission first stock I had on I simply really like the foam stock even though it’s not as pretty. Also the fore grip isn’t pretty but it is really comfortable so I’m keeping it on. Over all I love weight, balance, ergonomics, even the folding adaptor because it folds down small for storage so I’ll take the weight penalty. Trimmed the Eva foam stock so it doesn’t look as bulky, I got the check weld down and this thing is a laser out to my far pellet trap and feeder @34 yards. House sparrow down in the morning with the first shot and it’s just awesome! I’ll play around more with other foam stock options but this thing right now is just nice besides the need for a better scope that’s in the mail. Might trim the The stock a little more but really happy with it so probably will end up just sanding it down so it’s smooth and call it a day. 

not the prettiest but I’m really digging it.

9639CC14-DC49-4FB5-9EB0-4AB3B25561C8.1610731817.jpeg

Very nice qball, as long as she handles how you like... I am really enjoying mine, shooting every night. Thirty pumps to top off, really accurate offhand as a mini carbine.

thanks! It has been a ton of fun. Like you said 30 pumps gets a little over 30 shots in the sweet spot, deadly accurate. The whole thing weights in at 4lb and 10oz with scope so really happy with it. Might switch to red dot with a magnifier, that could be interesting. 

Light is nice, QB, sir!

The 17xx breech as well as the shroud cap had Cerakote imperfections, so I did not get them yet.

The Cerakote applicator gave me a "WTH-look" when I showed him the itty bitty defects.

I did remind him I have an uncanny eye for details 👀

This one is a silver Cerakote.

It looks like bead-blasted aluminum in person.

Looks great, IMHO 😁

silver prod 2.1610819996.jpg

That is an offset AR adapter from Canada.

Incredible fit and the finish is just as good.

It is my 2nd one; the 1st one being non-offset.