Qball Crosman 1701P build thread

The red TP in the 1701P and 1720T is the same part. All the TPs for the Prod, 1720T and 1701P are interchangeable. So if you wanted to juice up the 1701P you can drop in a silver TP or the blue Prod TP.

Tim Hill https://hillairgun.com/product/transfer-ports/ makes some TPs for these pistols up to .140”. Or you can try drilling them out yourself. Some guys use 1/4” OD plastic ice maker tubing. Trick is getting it cut square and to the correct length so you don’t have any leaks. Don’t know that there’s much advantage in going above the Prod TP in the .177 caliber though. I haven’t ever tried it.

thanks, the speed/power I won’t doesn’t need or not got to have the bigger TP and stronger springs. Hell I have the bigger PRod TP and Hills spring sitting in the parts bin! Tried it and it is just too much for the tune I want. I’m will look for a way to drill it out just tiny bit to get to 550 but honestly it’s fine as it is to be honest. At 15 yards max it’s plenty to take done house sparrows, not sure about squirrels though.

in the main time I huma aired the 1720T.

Been shooting the 1701P indoors exclusively for a while now and absolutely love it! At the current rate it probably will stay as the indoor lead free 5 meter pistol for as far as I can see. Order a ready to ship wooden grip from eBay as I wait for the fancy on but even that’s taking forever to make its way across US. Oh well, nothing I can do but wait. At least I still really enjoy some indoor shooting which I never considered before wasn’t for this forum. 
68C16A1F-766C-4D53-A40E-608D378AF23E.1607642171.jpeg

moved the red dot forward and ordered a different red dot to see it if works better but don’t see myself making too many changes after the grip. It’s shoots fantastic......even with reused leadfree pellets. 

now my .177 pistol line up is as follows:

- 1701P, indoor 410 FPS. 
- 1720T, 650 FPS house sparrow sniper!
- PP700, 700 FPS house sparrow and squirrel CQC

- PP700, 800fps squirrel sniper! 

Some of the goodies finally showed up. First a plastic/3D printed slip on moderator for the 1701. It fits perfectly and weight only 25 grams with a fiber optic sight!!! Tried it on and it’s about the same quietness as the atom!!!!!! The atom and the adapter are about 3.1 oz but the new slip on is .8 oz!!! With the same sound performance AND so skinny the factory filler cap can go back on AND I can air up without taking off the moderator!!!! WOW!!! 
0F660DE0-62FC-4FA1-A9CD-86EB34144EF0.1607675472.jpeg

also the eBay grips showed up, it supposed to be ready to be finished but it’s a bit rough and ergonomics is better than OEM, good enough where I don’t want to go through the trouble of sending it back. I would not buy it again! I finished the surface with 00 steel wool and now soaking in my wood floor oil which is part Linseed and cedar oil. 

questions: how long should I soak it in oil and which rear sight should I look into? 

Moderator looks great! Can you give me the specific part and who you ordered it from? Thinking my 1701p could use an upgrade.

the moderator actually worked better than I thought it would! I can totally feel or don’t feel the weight up front and definitely changed the balance for the better! As far as sound goes it’s almost on par with the huggett atom at 3x the weight and 4x the cost!

found them thanks to @odOYle, couldn’t be happier!

https://www.airgununiverse.net/wp/store/

I also ordered the thread on version(1/2 unf) and it is under 2 oz!!! And works surprisingly well on my 1720T which also allows airing up without taking it off!!! It has plastic thread so I’m leaving it on for a long while! Keep in mind the 1720T is 7 FPE and 1701P is 2.5 FPE so plastic moderators are more than adequate, I wouldn’t put them on anything over 12 FPE. 
FBAF0C8F-FC0B-42CF-BC5D-6138505E9C61.1607710668.jpeg

Moderator looks great! Can you give me the specific part and who you ordered it from? Thinking my 1701p could use an upgrade.

the moderator actually worked better than I thought it would! I can totally feel or don’t feel the weight up front and definitely changed the balance for the better! As far as sound goes it’s almost on par with the huggett atom at 3x the weight and 4x the cost!

found them thanks to @odOYle, couldn’t be happier!

https://www.airgununiverse.net/wp/store/

I ordered the thread on version(1/2 unf) and it is under 2 oz!!! And works surprisingly well on my 1720T which also allows airing up without taking it off!!! It has plastic thread so I’m leaving it on for a long while! Keep in mind the 1720T is 7 FPE and 1701P is 2.5 FPE so plastic moderators are more than adequate, I wouldn’t put them on anything over 12 FPE. 
FBAF0C8F-FC0B-42CF-BC5D-6138505E9C61.1607710668.jpeg

Thanks for the information!

Qball- why not try the smaller restrictive TP swapped in the 1720T so you don't need to keep fiddling with the perfectly set by the factory hammer spring setting?

You can also try swapping complete barreled uppers across both 1701P and 1720T to see how you like the longer LW barrel instead b4 buying?

Just few bolts to swap complete uppers.

This way is also a sure fire way you know for sure about barrel swap compatibility b4 buying too. Easier to just swap complete uppers.

Qball- why not try the smaller restrictive TP swapped in the 1720T so you don't need to keep fiddling with the perfectly set by the factory hammer spring setting?

You can also try swapping complete barreled uppers across both 1701P and 1720T to see how you like the longer LW barrel instead b4 buying?

Just few bolts to swap complete uppers.

This way is also a sure fire way you know for sure about barrel swap compatibility b4 buying too. Easier to just swap complete uppers.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking of going that route but I kinda torpedoed my own plans. On the 1720T I installed a huma regulator and the 1720T high power port, HS on low and super consistent at shooting 7.3 crosman pointed pellets like laser @650FPS so I am NOT touching it......for a while. LOL! Also I am currently very happy with how the 1701P shooting now, 410FPS with lead free pellets so I basically dedicated the 1701P to be the indoor leadfree gun. With the super cheap and light plastic moderator I got from airgununivers.net which I found through you fixed all the original problems I was trying to fix with the longer barrel. My filler cap is back on and I can fill the gun without touching the moderator and the bonus is the gun doesn't even feel like it has a moderator on! Huge thanks to you on that moderator! The only thing I'm waiting for now is the target pistol grip from Vernon Austin and I might actually leave it alone for a while. 

LOL yep just a few days ago you stated you were going to leave it alone! Well same with mine. I added a scope, then changed it to a different scope, then nailed a red squirrel with it at 45 feet (clean head shot kill), but decided I want a bit more power and a bit less noise SOOOO got an air gun University LDC coming, and heading off to Crosman to order a couple TPs. Oh and just waiting on a rail adapter to add a red for to the scope, oh and a stock to make it a carbine. And of course working on some grips and a front stock. When does the madness end?

LOL yep just a few days ago you stated you were going to leave it alone! Well same with mine. I added a scope, then changed it to a different scope, then nailed a red squirrel with it at 45 feet (clean head shot kill), but decided I want a bit more power and a bit less noise SOOOO got an air gun University LDC coming, and heading off to Crosman to order a couple TPs. Oh and just waiting on a rail adapter to add a red for to the scope, oh and a stock to make it a carbine. And of course working on some grips and a front stock. When does the madness end?

LOL!!! We might need more than a 12 step program, maybe a Air Pistol Anonymous group?

BTW the airgununiverse.net moderation is absolutely awesome on the 1701 because it's sooooo light! I'm playing with some ideas in my head with carbon tubes as carbine stock, even though I have the foldable stock adapter and everything else coming but I really don't like the extra weight so will see what kind of stuff I manage to rig up. Even at 480fps it's deadly accurate and need a good scope! I was wrecking house sparrows at my feeders out to 34 yards, can barely see with my POS scope but still manage to get 2 and both pass through with crosman pointed pellets, and it's stupid quiet at that power level. Another good thing with such low power is when I hit the bird it's a soft pop instead of the normal loud pop, the other birds don't seem to get spooked by it but I missed the second one to which I blame the scope. LOL! 

This thing is just way too much fun! 

Tried a new scope and really isn’t cutting it but still better than the cheap pistol scope I had on it. Also installed my home made carbon and foam stock. Really light and quite comfortable except the carbon tube transfers all the vibration from the hamper so need to cover it with a patch of foam.

E57074D0-EA8A-456A-8B44-EF8A655A244C.1610166074.jpeg

it is a lot lighter than the 1720t I have but that’s getting a new wood stock so not sure if it will weight more or less with the new stock. 

Looking good! Got an air universe LDC on the way (tracking says it is in town and should be here yesterday- ahhh the USPS). Had to do some running around yesterday so I forgot to call CRosman for some parts. Got some kerosene for the garage heater so gonna work on the grips a little more (after I finish rebuilding the Crosman 101). I found a scope I like but it has very little eye relief so I guess it is back to the drawing board for that. Started working on a stock for it too. This project is never going to truly end.