Qball Crosman 1701P build thread

Vernon Austin also makes some very nice grips but I think he’s pretty backed up at the moment. These are some of his older style grips

9C8B8562-AD32-471D-9A9F-3128B462604D.1605724604.jpeg

btw is this wood called brown laminate? I freaking love that grip! Thanks

Not sure. I purchased the pistol used with the grips. Sorry

Vernon Austin also makes some very nice grips but I think he’s pretty backed up at the moment. These are some of his older style grips

NP, I ordered the zebra wood target version and he said about 2-3 weeks! Can’t wait! 

Congratulations Qball! I'm sure that you will grow fond of your new purchase.

Been changing the look of mine here lately. Just made a 2nd fore end for it. I need to scoop the stippling out and then redo it to better match the grips. I'll do that tomorrow and then spray some clear on it.

A2F7E9D6-7707-4C43-9882-117FE87306F9.1606116015.jpeg
BD6D4E27-DE52-4F99-85C0-EAD08CF12321.1606116016.jpeg

wow! You got some woodworking skills! Maybe one day I should try woodworking! 

NP, I ordered the zebra wood target version and he said about 2-3 weeks! Can’t wait!

How did you order them? Through his eBay store? I have been wanting to get a second set.

How did you order them? Through his eBay store? I have been wanting to get a second set.

yes, it appears he can be reach only via eBay store. Search for mystryman_1. Find a grip he is selling and message him with what you want, he then create a pre-order listing you can buy and that’s it. Pretty straight forward and he has been very responsive. 

Prepare to be awed by VA's grips!

The fit is so nice and tight you could actually hear a hissing sound as you install the pair-- kind of like an airlock 😁

Dennisu's seems to have luster but VA's usual recipe is a matte tung-oiled finish.

I was going to polish my laminates with rottenstone, then Renaissance Wax (this is the proper way) but its subtle finish enamored itself to me, as its got understated elegance, not to mention resistance to finger prints. 

You know, I was on the phone today to order a another set of Crosman parts and to follow up a pending one (on its 3.5 weeks and probably lost, lol, but Crosman has excellent service), and the lady named Stephanie told me they have the 1701P in stock.

Told her it's not like most of their guns but she insisted they have 36 live ones in stock, lol!

I could have ordered one but getting that AGNATION-FREE-SHIPPING-ON-A-FRIDAY is not possible over the phone, so I need to order it online come Friday if it appears in stock.

She told me though the current inventory might be destined for stores, which she is not privy to.

Before I forget, SC has some Crosman grips and rifle stocks in stock and ready to ship:

https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/grips-for-sale

https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/stocks-for-sale

Personally, I prefer VA's grips; it conforming with the bar safety with its flowing contour.

I also prefer his cap screw holes in lieu of SC's countersunk type like the OEM.

They are both topnotch though, so it depends on your taste.

Thanks darkhores! I can’t wait for VA grip to show up, the wait is terrible!

Lol!

It might exceed 3 weeks but his grips are addicting and one pair just ain't enough, lol again!

With SC or VA grips the OEM Crosman grip frames will become too ugly to look at, I tell you, them having keloid scars and flaky paint, yuck!

I don't have a single grip frame that is unfinished; I judiciously removed the casting marks and had them powder-coated.

Also bought from Alchemy Works, as his has been refinished and powder-coated in textured black, which is a very nice rendition.

A grip frame that I had powder-coated in satin so many years ago:

powdercoat 4.1606195257.png

Some of VA's work (not mine):

va grips 4.1606195375.jpg

va grips 3.1606195412.jpg

laminate crosman 1.1606195441.jpg

laminate crosman 2.1606195497.jpg

laminate crosman 4.1606195548.jpg

The last one, IIRIC, is owned by a member of this forum.

With a matching forearm, it would be perfect but it looks marvelous just the same!

I prefer ambidextrous instead of purely orthodox or southpaw though.

That is terrible!!! I now need 2 sets minimum LOL

interestingly enough the zebra wood he got isn’t as thick as the wood he normally get so the thumb shelf will be less pronounced which I think I would like more. Once I get the grip I’m sure I’ll order ambidextrous set for my 1720 which is in carbine form. Your refinished frame is another rabbit hole......

The moderator finally showed up and barely fit but fits. The atom is a tad too small and is a tad louder, not a lot louder but noticeable. Fortunately the 1720T already has a shroud and the atom works really well on it. The belita is only 10 grams heavier so can’t really feel it which is good. 

C9D2B799-7953-4C69-B68A-AB4CFD6ADAE1.1606534370.jpeg

overall the balance is pretty good. Installed high power transfer port from my 1720 and bam! 670fps, need to wait for the Orings for the buffer mod to tune It down to around 600FPS or 620fps. Oh and the wait for the grip sucks. 

You can buy a case of assorted nitrile O-rings from Harbor Freight for about $6.

Each case contains 225 pieces of O-rings in either mm (3mm ID to 22mm ID) or American sizing (3/32" ID or A005 to 13/16" ID or A211)

Amongst the assortment, there is a batch (A113?) that will enable you to do the BStaley mod on the 22xx/17xx and even the MROD (bigger size O-rings).

I know what you mean on the VA grips but they are definitely worth the wait.

What color did you order anyway?

That LDC's OD is too big for your 17xx and appears to nullify the reinstallation of the filler cap.

The tail section of the LDC is also too close to the fill port and a high risk to scratches as you attach your fill probe for air replenishment.

Btw, Don Cothran makes PROD/17XX stainless tubes by special notation re specs and lengths but his are devoid of gauge holes.

You can buy a case of assorted nitrile O-rings from Harbor Freight for about $6.

Each case contains 225 pieces of O-rings in either mm (3mm ID to 22mm ID) or American sizing (3/32" ID or A005 to 13/16" ID or A211)

Amongst the assortment, there is a batch (A113?) that will enable you to do the BStaley mod on the 22xx/17xx and even the MROD (bigger size O-rings).

I know what you mean on the VA grips but they are definitely worth the wait.

What color did you order anyway?

That LDC's OD is too big for your 17xx and appears to nullify the reinstallation of the filler cap.

The tail section of the LDC is also too close to the fill port and a high risk to scratches as you attach your fill probe for air replenishment.

Btw, Don Cothran makes PROD/17XX stainless tubes by special notation re specs and lengths but his are devoid of gauge holes.

thanks!!! I’ll have swing by harbor freight when they are less busy. 

the color/wood I picked was zebra wood, it was recommended by Vernon. It’s only 11 dollars more so I figured why not, it’s so hard to choose because they all look amazing! 

The moderator is too big hence I don’t have fill cap, I have a little rubber cap that fits. The moderator fits but just barely, maybe 1mm of clearance? 😓 my only concern was poi shift if I take LDC on and off to fill up the gun but so far POI hasn’t shifted at all but I still might get the TKO slip on since the belita isn’t that short anyways. One can never have enough moderators and scopes right? 😜

thanks for the tip on the tube from Don Cothran, does it have factory finish? Gauge hole is kinda important though. 

Yes, VA grips look delicious in all colors and flavors, sir 😁

Don Cothran parts are extremely well-made and his threads are 2nd to none: even Mr. Bill of Magnum Air Power acknowledges the accuracy of the aforesaid.

His specialty is stainless but he does brass also.

Oh, the interior of his tubes are honed with very precise holes and cuts.

He also ships them in solid tubular USPS packaging, which, I believe, are very expensive, as they are long and heavy, so your tubes are heavily cocooned from falls and bangs.

If you ever have one of his parts you will go "OH LA LA!"

His parts are bead-blasted but you can request for a polished look, although they look best with the former.

$25 and above means free shipping w/in the US.

I think he can do gauge holes by special request, as they don't even appear complex but ask him first if he has a template for the 1701 gauge hole--he has one for the PROD/1720 but they do have a different gauge hole location compared to the 1701's.

DC's CP#: 901 - 356 - 0569.

He likes to talk, so be prepared if you ever want to give him a call 😁

Personally, I have a hard time understanding his drawl and slang--me being Asian and not born in the US 😬

Regarding your LDC, TKO does smaller OD's (7/8?).

Also Neil Clague but he does not seem to make LDC's that are less than 1" in diameter--I asked him to make me a 3/4" OD and he politely said "NEIN" to my request.

Or you could order PROD/1720 shroud parts from Crosman to make mute of the 1701's bark.

I ordered a set weeks ago but they got lost in the mail, although Crosman will make amends of the foible when I gave them a call last week to order more parts and to report the non-arrival of my previous order.

The shroud set total from Crosman is around $50 - $55 shipped.

I have the parts list in case you need it 😁