Putting compression rings on generic orange Chinese compressor

I am trying to rebuild the compressor by cleaning and replacing parts but wanted to know how others get the high pressure rings on. One looks like it is graphite the other looks like "leather". I just want to replace the top one. The compressor was not filling as fast(as when it was new) so I decided to try rebuild. The replacement rings seem VERY snug so that it doesn't wanna go over the piston. Is there a trick to getting them on?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Pat

My advise would be to find something, maybe a pen or similar, with a cone shape at one end and near the same diameter as the piston on the other. So, you can slide the ring up the cone and then onto the piston. A little silicon grease and a more gradual cone, than in the pic, will make it easier.

If you can't find anything, around the house, a plastic or aluminum rod or wooden dowel can be put in a drill chuck, spun and shaped with a file or sandpaper.

I recently rebuilt mine. The rings that come with the kit will deform when you stretch them over the large outer piston and the small inner shaft. There's o rings under each ring also.

The ring that goes inside the outer head to seal the main shaft can literally be bent in half to install, all of them will reshape.back to normal.

The problem I ran across was with the outer diameter, they're a few thousanths to big and when I reinstalled the pump the metal pieces back together they cut into the rings. I thought I had damaged the large one enough that it wouldn't work but it pumps fine. I may slowly and carefully attempt to sand them down a little next time. I'm not sure if all the kits are the same so maybe your rings will fit fine.