Put my HW 95 to work

I have lived in my house for 27 years and have never had a red squirrel problem until this winter. I have been over run with them, so I left the PCP's in the safe and broke out the HW 95 and have shot ten red squirrels in the past couple of weeks. The latest was this morning at about 27 yards with a .177 polymag. I normally don't shoot critters in my back yard but these red squirrels are into everything. They chewed two holes in my neighbors shed and I don't want any in my shed, so decided its time to take them out.

I haven’t even seen a red for 20 years until about two years ago we had your same problem. On a normal day I would get 3 to 5. They are fast and keep moving like little coyotes. The trick is to watch their behavior and get ready to aim where you think they will go. They are pretty predictable in that way.

As of now they seem to have all but disappeared again.

BTW the closest I shot one was 3 pumps on a blue streak 5 yards in the basement. Invasive for sure!

Mitch 

I do wonder what is going on with red squirrels lately. They used to be an incredible rarity, but in the last 10 months or so they've been EVERYWHERE. They're particularly noteworthy because, unlike gray squirrels or ground squirrels who simply run, the reds actively sit on a tree just out of reach and taunt my dog. It makes an incredible racket, so you can't miss them.