• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Purchasing an SCBA bottle

Your opinion that its best to go with a commercially certified tank is fine, and as valid as any.

It's phrases like "blows up in your face" and "makes a dandy grenade if it fails" that raise eyebrows. We see those claims quite a bit, but never any evidence that it's actually happened, aside from pushing one to fail that way by intentionally damaging and/or rapid filling to several times the rated pressure.

Last edited:
Your opinion that its best to go with a commercially certified tank is is fine, and as valid as any.

It's phrases like "blows up in your face" and "makes a dandy grenade if it fails" that raise eyebrows. We see those claims quite a bit, but never any evidence that it's actually happened, aside from pushing one to fail that way by intentionally damaging and/or rapid filling to several times the rated pressure.

Your opinion that its best to go with a commercially certified tank is fine, and as valid as any.

This! Exactly this right here. 😊 +1

Reactions: wolfmangreg
You are correct, and perhaps my language which I chose to use as a metaphor recognized that it would take a fool to grossly over fill to multiples of the rated pressure , was a poor choice because as a newbie at this group I was not aware of the history of what caused the “raised eyebrows“ when I made those comments. Coming from a background in the firearms world, and having worked both professionally, and as an amateur within that world, I am well aware that many end users are, in fact, capable of doing some very, very foolish things, which would be consistent with what you point out would be a gross abuse of fI’ll pressure . I also appreciate your effort to pour a little oil on troubled waters. Please accept my thanks with these additional thoughts.

As evidenced by the original post, there are many who send questions into this and other similar groups, because they are not experienced and want help from those who do not have a commercial axe to grind and offer opinions motivated, at least in part, by their sponsors. I come from the firearm world where most of the “testing” can be found in magazines that are supported by manufacturers‘ ads and rarely have anything bad to say about anything bad about whatever they test. The prudent gun owner would take those tests with a grain, if not with a pillar of salt, and are more likely to except discussions on user groups where the users are more experienced, and without any commercial ax to grind (for example, the long – existing Smith and Wesson forum, his information and advice that cannot be found anywhere else and is usually far more reliable than a magazine test. Many of us will go to that site to resolve questions regarding a variety of matters already supposedly “resolved” by a magazine or by a manufacturers response.)

this is why I questioned the idea of downplaying potential issues with the proverbial $20 tank. I am sure you and many other experienced air gunners at this forum are quite capable of deciding whether a particular tank is or is not safe and whether it is a good in purchase. I was weighing the issue in light of the fact that the person reading the response would presume it’s validity and wo

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Sorry, that note got garbled. I usually dictate my stuff and before I could proofread, I accidentally hit the “send“ button. Please disregard the above.

I do app your effort to explain why some of you took umbrage at my language, but I am always worried that the proverbial newbie will do something just as foolish as grossly over pressure a tank, while those who have a functioning brain will not.😊 My original response was drafted on that basis.

I still believe that air gun safety just as firearm safety can never be overstated, and any advice offered should err on the side of caution. You and others may very well be able to safely buy and test a used cf tank. Most of those new to Airguns may not so suggesting they should do so may be problematic.

Of course, that is my opinion, and only that and no more valid than any other opinion.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Sorry, that note got garbled. Are usually dictate and before I could proofread, I accidentally hit the “send“ button. Please disregard the above. I do, however, appreciate your effort to explain why some of you took umbrage at my language, but I am always worried that the proverbial newbie will do something just as foolish is grossly over pressure, rising a tank, while those who have a functioning brain will not.😊

I still believe that air gun safety. Trust is firearm safety could never be overstated, and any advice offered should air on the side of caution. Of course, that is my opinion, and only there, and no more valid than any other opinion, it may be to the contrary.
No worries! We're not trying to chase you off, promise :)

Don't think any of us would disagree that high pressure air, & the equipment that makes/contains/dispenses it, should be respected. The pressures we play at are no joke, & even if an SCBA tank is not likely to explode, there are other ways for that pressure to hurt a guy or gal.

Man I hear you about the powder burning world & foolish actions! Used to moonlight as RSO at an indoor range- could write a combination horror/comedy book about the shenanigans I witnessed.

Last edited:
I’m not quite that sensitive. I spent 50 years practicing law before I retired and trust me, I have been wracked around by experts.
By the way, I saw the signature line on your last post and see that you provide information regarding fill sites. One available in southeast Wisconsin is Diver Dan’s in Kenosha. A dedicated dive shop, very very nice people and very very reasonably priced.

No worries! We're not trying to chase you off, promise :)

Don't think any of us would disagree that high pressure air, & the equipment that makes/contains/dispenses it, should be respected. The pressures we play at are no joke, & even if an SCBA tank is not likely to explode, there are other ways for that pressure to hurt a guy or gal.

Man I hear you about the powder burning world & foolish actions! Used to moonlight as RSO at an indoor range- could write a combination horror/comedy book about the shenanigans I witnessed.
I too worked as an RSO at an outdoor range here in southeast Wisconsin. The best examples of outright human stupidity were the guys getting ready for the deer season who would check a hang fire by staring down the barrel to see what was going on! My personal view was the best way to get them to sight in under actual hunting conditions was give them a six pack, stick them up in a blind, and get them to sight in then from there. Made the range a lot safer.😁

I was speaking metaphorically when I used the word grenade but we are both entitled to our opinions and neither one of us is necessarily wrong. However, and to be blunt, you are being asked to give advice on a topic that has an element of danger, infinitesimal or not. I am perhaps more cautious than you when offering such advice.

Still, I think the concept of relying on the safety or the functionality of an anonymous $20 tank is problematic at best. It is still a crap shoot and whomever is going to rely on the advice in this thread based on dueling self proclaimed pundits show decide accordingl..

And that is my last comment on this thread since the last thing I want is to get into a flame war.

David
David,
I'm basing my opinion on 30+ years of experience in firefighting & fire equipment. Been a licensed hydrotesting tech all that time & NEVER experienced a blown SCBA tank or even met anyone in the business who has. It's an opinion, yes but an enlightened & educated opinion. EVERYTHING we do in life is a gamble & game of odds. Knowing what I know, I feel the odds are in my favor in this instance. Everyone needs to make their own choices.

I also want you to know that I am not trying to demean your beliefs or argue with your opinion. Healthy fear keeps us alive in some instances. I was just curious on what facts you BASED that opinion.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to offend you. I've just got 30+ years experience with carbon fiber and know what it's capable of. I spent around half of that time doing tech services for the major aerospace companies and have done all kinds of exposure, hot and cold testing from -75 to 550f. Humidity exposure for 30 to 90 days of 160f at 95 RH and have seen what happens. As far as buying a $20 used tank from a fire station I'd need to inspect it both inside and out before I'd trust it. What I've been trying to educate members here is mainly a scba tank isn't a ticking time bomb. Now whether or not I'd trust a scab tank from china is a whole nother thing as I have no idea what materials they use but I'm 99.9% sure the fire man scba tanks made here are using aerospace grade carbon composites and you would not believe what it takes to pass QC of a batch.

You are correct, and perhaps my language which I chose to use as a metaphor recognized that it would take a fool to grossly over fill to multiples of the rated pressure , was a poor choice because as a newbie at this group I was not aware of the history of what caused the “raised eyebrows“ when I made those comments. Coming from a background in the firearms world, and having worked both professionally, and as an amateur within that world, I am well aware that many end users are, in fact, capable of doing some very, very foolish things, which would be consistent with what you point out would be a gross abuse of fI’ll pressure . I also appreciate your effort to pour a little oil on troubled waters. Please accept my thanks with these additional thoughts.

As evidenced by the original post, there are many who send questions into this and other similar groups, because they are not experienced and want help from those who do not have a commercial axe to grind and offer opinions motivated, at least in part, by their sponsors. I come from the firearm world where most of the “testing” can be found in magazines that are supported by manufacturers‘ ads and rarely have anything bad to say about anything bad about whatever they test. The prudent gun owner would take those tests with a grain, if not with a pillar of salt, and are more likely to except discussions on user groups where the users are more experienced, and without any commercial ax to grind (for example, the long – existing Smith and Wesson forum, his information and advice that cannot be found anywhere else and is usually far more reliable than a magazine test. Many of us will go to that site to resolve questions regarding a variety of matters already supposedly “resolved” by a magazine or by a manufacturers response.)

this is why I questioned the idea of downplaying potential issues with the proverbial $20 tank. I am sure you and many other experienced air gunners at this forum are quite capable of deciding whether a particular tank is or is not safe and whether it is a good in purchase. I was weighing the issue in light of the fact that the person reading the response would presume it’s validity and wo
You mean like throwing a double charge of Winchester 231 powder in a.45 lc and firing it. Luckily it was a Ruger ssa that it was fired in and only split the cylinder. I know, never sit in front of the TV loading your ammo using lee powder scoops.🥴🥴

The Navy has done extensive testing on these tanks and determined they have infinite life when filled to rated pressure and no extensive exterior damage. They are trying to get the 15 year life rating changed so they don’t need to replace perfectly good tanks.

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with in regards to their safety, so I won’t tell anyone what they should do, but I would trust a 15 year old fire department SCBA tank long before I would trust a new one made in China.

You mean like throwing a double charge of Winchester 231 powder in a.45 lc and firing it. Luckily it was a Ruger ssa that it was fired in and only split the cylinder. I know, never sit in front of the TV loading your ammo using lee powder scoops.🥴🥴
Ouch! Used a lot of 231 & the tiny charges in big cases always concerned me.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Ok - pondering a bit more - I've wondered about using a paintball refill bottle. Most I've seen will require a hose kit, but wondering about something along these lines:

Contestant_1 I'm not finding a rating for PSI on that one...

Contestant_2

Contestant_3

Just curious about something along these lines.

the first and last links are to gun mounted bottles (for bottle guns ,fx impact,fx crown,umarex gauntlet,etc...)
and would not be used for filling.

the middle one is a regulated painball tank,
it says "standard regulator" so i would assume its set for 800psi,
they can be used on some airguns,
my sig virtus uses one like that only smaller,
but again,
they are not used to fill unless they have a fill system style valve as a buddy bottle does.

and at only 3000psi,its filling capacity dwindles to basically 1 partial fill (if filling to 300psi)

Ouch! Used a lot of 231 & the tiny charges in big cases always concerned me.
The amazing thing is I sent it back to Ruger to get a new cylinder installed and they replaced it for free. Not sure if they do that anymore as that was over 40 years ago. Don't think you'll find any of the airgun companies doing that.👎

Reactions: wolfmangreg
The amazing thing is I sent it back to Ruger to get a new cylinder installed and they replaced it for free. Not sure if they do that anymore as that was over 40 years ago. Don't think you'll find any of the airgun companies doing that.👎
Gotta watch 231 in "big" cases - or even little cases. Too easy to double charge one if someone walks in with those off-the-wall questions and interrupts your workflow. Not a huge fan of Lee dippers either...