• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Purchasing a used airgun.. with a twist.

Ive purchased quite a few airguns on the forums. Awhile back I purchased an airgun from another member .. not going to name names. But upon receiving it.. I noticed it was cocked. No mag in the gun, but it was still cocked. So I pointed it towards a wall in my garage and long behold it was loaded with a .25 pellet. 

I didn't say anything to the seller, I let it go. But wanted to just throw this out there just incase someone does sell an airgun.. before you ship it.. just make sure you unload it and double check its clear.

Anyone else have this happen? 

I was helping a local gun shop, a guy brought in a gun to trade. He took it out of the case, first thing I did was make sure it was empty. I pumped the action and a shell fell out, then two more. He turn white as a ghost put the 870 back in the case and left. So now I always check if a gun is empty and it wasn’t any better when I worked at the duck hunting club. 

Aloha,

WOW, good thing you went over the gun and double checked it. How long was it cocked for? If its a PCP might want to check the hammer spring for fatigue, maybe even replacing it with a new one.

I bought and sold here and never had that situation ever happened to me.

Aloha,

Keone

I'm guessing about a week at most. Between shipping time. The airgun shoots good. No issues so i think I'm good for now. 

I was helping a local gun shop, a guy brought in a gun to trade. He took it out of the case, first thing I did was make sure it was empty. I pumped the action and a shell fell out, then two more. He turn white as a ghost put the 870 back in the case and left. So now I always check if a gun is empty and it wasn’t any better when I worked at the duck hunting club.

Yeah thats just nuts. Holy moly. 

Gun safety rule: "Always point the gun in a safe direction" has saved me many times. Someone handed me a sawn off 12 gauge one time to shoot. Dual triggers, and we were shooting moving targets. I kind of felt the gun over to see where the triggers were.... I could have coughed and the gun would have gone off. Just a light brush was all it took. Blew a big chunk of dirt out from in front of me. 

I've had loaded airguns go off when they shouldnt have. Poorly adjusted triggers, failing components. I have a brocock that will miss-fire if hit the bolt release. With nothing in the instructions that would prevent someone from finding that out the hard way.

I had a friend find a rusted up sawn off 12ga in the woods and brought it back home. It went off when he was just looking at it, and it shot another friend in the knee. (he is fine btw)

First thing I always do is check to see if a gun is loaded. Twice, once it's in my hands.

I can't really relate exactly to the original incident here, but I can appreciate gun safety. That's absolutely crazy the gun was shipped like that. I've seen far too many tthat would have fired in the process of shipping if left like that. 

Never had that happen. Crazy story. 

I was at a gun show in the early 90's & saw a dealer pick up a handgun & it fired & hit the floor & ended up in a block wall at the far end of the exhibition hall. I saw the whole thing. Dealer was noticeably upset. I left shortly after it happened. Never made the news as far as I know. But the rumor was the dealer had no ammo (it was a .32 or something less common) & the only dealer in the hall with 32 ammo reported a box stolen. 

Along with the obvious danger, he is in serious violation of federal laws!! Any projectile throwing cannot be loaded or capable of firing that projectile when being shipped in any manor! You would be doing the sellor a big favor by reminding him that he could have gone to jail or prison. Yes even a simple BB gun, when cocked and loaded now falls under Alphabet org rules on shipping regulations. Leaving an activated CO2 cartridge in a gun is also a violation. Even ifvyour sale was friendly, that seller needs to understand how close to a federal violation he was....always check, forgetting is no excuse!!!!!!

Bret- I got lucky, when it hit the wall it went through some sheet rock I had laying against the wall and then got stopped by the concrete brick behind it. I really wasn't expecting the airgun to come loaded, that was a big shocker. Maybe the seller was in a rush to pack it.. or whatever it may be. Nonetheless, its no excuse. 

TMH- that's exactly what I do when I send out a gun. I always double check and clear the gun before its packed. Its always good to be safe.

Scouty- Thats just wild. Last time I went to a gun show they had cops all over the place making sure everyone as following the rules, I bet if something would have happened like that there, those cops would have been at that table asap.

Scotty1- holy moly. That should have been good to go.. thinking its coming from law enforcement it should have been tripple checked!

Still trying to figure this site out. Thats crazy! Glad no one was hurt. Bought a new Gamo swarm magnum gen 2 only fired 1 shot through it but have decided i want to go pcp so got to figure out how to sell it so I can purchase a pcp lol!

If you want to participate with the classified section, you are going to need some more post. Yeah PCP is the way to go.. but your gonna go down the rabbit hole.. really fast. 

Pump, gun, ammo, tank, compressor, etc get ready .. we all do it!