• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

pump vs scuba tank

Dry air?! Moisture traps lessen the amount of moisture, but they don't remove it all! This is why most PCP shooters use some sort of lubricant and other preventive measures. 

There is a difference between a high pressure pump meant for filling airgun tanks, and those meant specifically for scuba use. The latter use more than just a moisture trap. In fact, higher end units use refrigeration to remove almost all of the moisture, as well as special filters to assure the clarity of the compressed air. That's one of the reasons a good-quality scuba compressor costs upwards of $10,000. You can do the same thing for an airgun for under $2,000. 

I just purchased my first scuba tank yesterday. I am pretty excited about it. But to tell the truth, now that I have it, I will probably still use my hand pump for topping off in my erratic pest control scenarios. As far as accuracy goes, it is not in my clearance level to discuss, since I have never had an accuracy issue with my Marauder and have been filling it with original Benjamin pump for years. It outshoots me and I have not really had a pellet that could not be grouped out to 35 or 40 yards (my most common max distance). How much more accurate can you get when you are shooting ten shot groups that are all touching? If I did witness an increase in accuracy my eyes would not recognize it. 

I couldn't imagine using a pump now that I have a tank. I actually have never had a pump, just bit the bullet the first go around. It takes less than 10 seconds to fill and is super easy. 

I just put the gun in its shooting rest and plug her in. Bang bang after that. I also, have my tank filled at a scuba shop and they have DRY DRY DRY air, so I have ZERO worry about moisture in my gun. 

SpashHi all,

I've been wondering for a while if ,when you're pumping your gun up with a pump or a scuba tank, this can have an effect on your accuracy?
Does the moisture in the air via the pump have an influence opposite the dry air coming from a scuba tank?

Interesting question but I think that your current elevation, the atmospheric pressure, the temperature and the wind probably have far bigger effect on your accuracy at distance. I haven't seen any air rifle sniper software that includes propellent humidity.

But at close ranges you will always have a tough time seeing any differences.

But if you are interested in doing the experiment you could fill your rifle up with very wet air and see if the muzzle velocity changes over a chrono (rather you than me though as I like my rifles rust free) ;)

BTW, in my opinion compressor air from a SCUBA tank is nearly always going to be dryer and any residual moisture in it will probably make your tank corrode rather than your rifle rust

Robert

"Dhc8guru"Pump for me.. I have been investigating a 4500 psi survival tank set up. Came to the conclusion that piecing together a used setup really ends up costing the same as a new setup. The initial cost is lower but long term it becomes the same. So I decided that I would rather spend $600 on more guns and get some exercise pumping.
That's interesting. I found a used tank to be cheaper in the short term and long term. 

"ztirffritz"
"Dhc8guru"Pump for me.. I have been investigating a 4500 psi survival tank set up. Came to the conclusion that piecing together a used setup really ends up costing the same as a new setup. The initial cost is lower but long term it becomes the same. So I decided that I would rather spend $600 on more guns and get some exercise pumping.
That's interesting. I found a used tank to be cheaper in the short term and long term.
My experience exactly. I've got a 66cf tank (11/2004 - current hydro good for 4 more years) along with a JB fill assembly for under $200.

Everyone says they found great deals on used survival tanks but, what I have seen on EBay for a 4500psi survival tank is about $100 for a tank that only has about 2 years left on it. Best I have seen is a 60 min tank with five years left on it for $175.

So lets pretend, your looking at a 15 year set up, same as what a new tank will last. 
Here is the breakdown:
3 tank purchases over 15 years @ $175ea= ​​$525
3 hydro tests = ​$105
One time fitting purchase = $180. Cheapest I found was $75 but I felt having good fittings was a safer choice.
You could throw in the shipping cost for the three tanks which is about $25 ($75 total for shipping 3 tanks) but I will leave it out of the calculation for now. Just something to consider.
So now we are looking at ​​​$810 for going the used tank route.

A new ​Great white 72 cu ft. tank with fittings and gauge is $589. Good for 15 years.
2 hydro tests = $70
Total ​​= $659
So the way I see it, buying new saves you ​$151 over 15 years.
Obviously if you only need 5 or even 10 years off a setup​, buying used maybe the better deal.

​I did check with my local dive shop and they told me to call the day before and they would leave the compressor running over night to fill the storage tanks.
But, even doing so, 4200 psi would be the best they could and more then likely 4000 psi was the likely fill pressure.​

"Dhc8guru"Everyone says they found great deals on used survival tanks but, what I have seen on EBay for a 4500psi survival tank is about $100 for a tank that only has about 2 years left on it. Best I have seen is a 60 min tank with five years left on it for $175.

Now sure how you are searching but I got a tank (45min) with 5 years left on it for $75 delivered. I had it hydro'd for $30. So $105 for 5 years. Pick up one of these every 5 years and I got $315 in tanks
I then found a tank with 4 years left, but a hydro test done in 2014 for $75 delivered. Pick up one of these every 4 years and I got $300 in tanks (16 years total)
Picked up a JoeB fill assembly off a Forum for $100 shipped.

Here's a 45min tank with 2006 manu. for $108 delivered. Add the $30 in hydro and you're good to go for under $150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Survivair-45-Min-H-P-Carbon-4500-PSIG-SCBA-Air-Tank-W-Valve-Mfr-Date-2006-/191747591832?hash=item2ca50c0e98:g:BDoAAOSwLVZVt6CF

Now since I only put out $205 for the 1st 5 years, if I had the entire $589 I could invest the remaining $384. Plus if something happens and I'm no longer able to shoot I'm not out as much.

I bit the CF bullet two years ago to the tune of $670 including the fire house adapter. If I was a better shopper like some posters I could have saved some money but I got a nice new setup that I enjoy using. The cost of HPA is just an unfortunate part of the hobby. Funny thing is the HPA setup cost almost as much as my gun and scope. Even shooting a Marauder this is not a cheap hobby.

"linsfreak"You can hold up toilet paper or whatever, to that air coming out of these tanks or pumps I have with negative results. Filters work well.

The air from most breathing air compressors is very dry - however if you hold tissue paper in a stream of it you might find that the paper dampens I think because the air coming from the HP source will be very cold. That will cause any moisture in the room air to condense onto the very cold paper.

So, I'd suggest that you check the air with a humidity gauge instead.