Pump explosion.

The literal pump exploded at the third stage piston threads. It blew out of my hands and across the room. Good thing I was the only one in the room.

Explosion as in pieces flying all over, shrapnel, large coverage area, or explosion as in a gasket or O ring blew out?
Sorry I'm new to this forum and didn't see the reply button on your comment. Yes exploded under 3000psi. Shot everywhere. Failure at the threads of the third stage piston where it meets the check valve.

Sounds like OEM metal fatigue as in original piece of steel b4 manufacturing ? You would have to send whole pump and pieces back to manufacturer.
might be less expense to just buy new .AND send back to Beeman maybe contact for a return post paid label ?
I do alot of my own fabrication on parts. When I switched over to HPA I purchased a tap an die set because of all of the moving parts. I'm looking into a compressor when I purchase my next PCP.

It's a Beeman pump but looking over most hand pumps it's just like any other pump from China. Does anyone know the o ring sizes for the hand pumps? I've got a metric and a standard kit and none of the o rings line up.
Can you post pictures to document the failure? Just in case Beeman comes here in the future or if there are other failures like it? That is a major safety issue and needs to be addressed.

I've used expensive hills hand pump to cheap $40 Chinese pumps for about 5 years till I switch to compressor and I have never have a problem with a hand pump explosion. Or have heard of anyone having that issue. Not sure why your pump would explode. Compressor aren't $3000-5000 like they were a few years ago. You can get a good compressor for under $300. So why still using hand pumps? Hand pumps are a thing of the past I say. I would never go back to hand pumping, especially with guns that have bottles now. Takes forever to fill while a $300 compressor will fill it in under 3 mins.

Can you post pictures to document the failure? Just in case Beeman comes here in the future or if there are other failures like it? That is a major safety issue and needs to be addressed.
Here is the third stage piston tube where the bang came from. If you ever hear compressed air in your second stage tube while doing maintenance your threads may be compromised.

View attachment KIMG0007.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the third stage piston tube where the bang came from. If you ever hear compressed air in your second stage tube while doing maintenance your threads may be compromised.

View attachment 291774
Glad you weren't hurt. The piece looks like it failed at a valley in the thread right where it joins the unthreaded portion of the cylinder. The lathe may have cut the threads too deep at that point creating a stress concentration point. One possibility. Were there any signs of corrosion or rust inside the pieces where they failed? Water can gather there .

Do you have any photos of the pump itself you could post? Might offer more clues.

Glad you weren't hurt. The piece looks like it failed at a valley in the thread right where it joins the unthreaded portion of the cylinder. The lathe may have cut the threads too deep at that point creating a stress concentration point. One possibility. Were there any signs of corrosion or rust inside the pieces where they failed? Water can gather there .

Do you have any photos of the pump itself you could post? Might offer more clues.
Here's the pump I built out of the blown up one and parts from a junk one. I'm very consistent with maintenance because my first experience with these pumps were not spectacular. The first pump was not finished at all and shredded o-rings daily. I got these from ntk outdoors and they replaced the first one. This time they offered a total refund. I think they were spooked I might sue... All I want is a reliable pump to be able to keep shooting.

View attachment KIMG0009.JPG

Reactions: badger5th
Here's the pump I built out of the blown up one and parts from a junk one. I'm very consistent with maintenance because my first experience with these pumps were not spectacular. The first pump was not finished at all and shredded o-rings daily. I got these from ntk outdoors and they replaced the first one. This time they offered a total refund. I think they were spooked I might sue... All I want is a reliable pump to be able to keep shooting.

View attachment 291946
OK, good rebuild job. I was curious to see any photos you may have had of the pump after it blew up. Did the hose blow off the thing? Did the HPA charge dump out of the gun?

I called Topgun Airguns in SoCal to see what their take on the fill hoses having possible problems. They are self proclaimed experts in the air tank, regulator world for air guns. They have been at it for longer than most.

They said that they don't necessarily recommend a replacement timeframe, and haven't directly heard of any catastrophic explosions of the lines. They did say that they had seen where the interior braid had separated, and the line bubbled and leaked slightly. People did buy new, but no major, or dangerous problems.
They also did mention cautions with crushed, or otherwise damaged lines, to yes...replace them.

Mike

The literal pump exploded at the third stage piston threads. It blew out of my hands and across the room. Good thing I was the only one in the room.
Sounds like the threads were either damaged or simply not screwed down tight.

This is the first time I have personally heard of this happening with a hand pump.

I once blew a 4500psi burst disk on a Freedom using an external hand pump. No "shrapnel", but it did wake me up! (grin)

Boy did it wake me up! LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mauipilikia