• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pulsar thermion 2 LRF on a Texan .50?

Would using this scope on a texan work out? With no plenum and the pressure dropping each shot I'm guessing the LRF can't move the reticle accurately past the first shot. Has anyone put this scope on a texan and used the LRF with success?
I know the LRF would still be useful in ranging targets but as far as the auto adjust IDK how it could work.
Anyone try it?
Thanks for any info.

What I was thinking since the scope has 5 profiles available, I could create a different profile for every shot. But IDK how easy it is to switch between profiles on the fly.
@elittle1234 One of the most practical ways of testing your theory would be to take a few shots from a max fill (or below depending upon what you determine the sweet spot to be). Record the reservoir pressure before the shot and again after the shot. Do this until you have shot the pressure down to where you need to top off your reservoir again (maybe 3 shots). I would do this a few times and see what the average may be or to gauge consistency. Then tether your Texan to a large SCBA tank with an inline regulator. Set your reg at the average pressure after each shot (that has been determine using the aforementioned method) and consider making a profile for each shot/reservoir pressure combo. That way you can determine what the zero or holds would be at varying pressure levels at certain distances. That would work for the first two or three shots. I wouldn’t be looking to shoot more than 3 shots per fill or in one hunting outing with a Texan. DOPE would be very helpful here. I’ve done a similar thing with night vision and other air rifles, but not with the Thermion or a Texan. I don’t know how easy it would be to switch between profiles on the fly. My two cents.

Would using this scope on a texan work out? With no plenum and the pressure dropping each shot I'm guessing the LRF can't move the reticle accurately past the first shot. Has anyone put this scope on a texan and used the LRF with success?
I know the LRF would still be useful in ranging targets but as far as the auto adjust IDK how it could work.
Anyone try it?
Thanks for any info.
I used the ATN X-Sight and THOR Ballistic Calculator on my Benjamin Bulldog by simply taking the average velocity over a 7 shot string, and it worked out well enough that the Ballistic Calculator was dead nuts on groundhogs at 100 yards.

I'd skip the whole profile per shot thing. You probably aren't hunting rats at 100 yards with a Texan .50cal with a thermal scope, so +/- 3 inches over a shot string is still a dead hog, coyote or raccoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: elittle1234
I shoot my Texan 50 night setup 3 years with good results... First thing you need a external regulator. After that any of the Automatic range compensation day or night scope will work.... I use a Cold shot adjustable base with a Sightmark Wraith HD and a cheap night rangefinder. I manually adjust for elevation... 144 mil day or night.. Not bad....

17104697716372564419214778779795.jpg

17104698077187437223727574763294.jpg

Reactions: elittle1234