• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pulling the trigger

No, not some silly, nonsensical phrase about buying something..!

What knuckle is the main joint you use while pulling the trigger ? The first, the second, or a combination of the two ?

I'll put my comments down after folks state their method(s) after reading a bunch of article's, about the (current !) proper way of...pulling the trigger". Pretty interesting reading, and experimenting on the different methods.

Mike

I don't use any knuckle, pad of the index finger is how I was taught. If using a "joint" I don't see how you can get a straight to the rear pull, as the trigger is designed to do.

unless the trigger pull is about 15lbs you dont need a knuckle lol ...

Um...SOMETHING...has to bend to move the trigger ! Unless you have a blow up bladder in your fingertip ! Or...just power the of the mind, like magic ?

Mike

No, not some silly, nonsensical phrase about buying something..!

What knuckle is the main joint you use while pulling the trigger ? The first, the second, or a combination of the two ?

I'll put my comments down after folks state their method(s) after reading a bunch of article's, about the (current !) proper way of...pulling the trigger". Pretty interesting reading, and experimenting on the different methods.

Mike

You knew people weren't going to answer the question you asked, right? lol

Second and 3rd joints are my go to, without moving both I can't move straight back.

The “bible” of competitive shooting by A. A. Yur’ Yev (long out of print) states the finger pad of the index finger for light triggers and the first knuckle notch for medium and heavy triggers. For reference, a light trigger is considered to be in the area of 3.5 lbs, or less. 

Source- “Competitive Shooting- Techniques, and Training for Rifle, Pistol, and Running Game Shooting.” Author- A. A. Yur’ Yev. Copyright- Fizkul’tura Sport Moscow 1973. VH Winston &Sons 1985. Seventh Printing, May 2000.

2C9C4819-4FCC-4458-9ED2-B262834C5B6C.1625483542.jpeg
70A3510A-EC2B-4512-AFC2-AC14D1535798.1625483543.jpeg

I could be wrong but I don't believe he is talking about your contact point with the trigger. I believe he is talking about which joint you pivot in order to move your contact point to the rear and depress the trigger. As most have indicated I use the pad of my index finger for contact. But the joint that I flex in order to move my finger pad to the rear is mostly the third joint with maybe some of the second. I never really thought too much about it. My prime objective is making sure my contact point with the trigger came straight back and didn't push to one side or the other.

I vote for pad of the index finger also and I think you will find that in any training literature as well. It really sucks too cuz my trigger finger has a big scar from when I tried to cut the end of it off when I was young.

How...does one bend the "pad" of the finger...it doesn't have a...joint ? I think medical people would find that most difficult without the aid of a hammer to add another joint !

Contact = pad of Index 

Moving part = big knuckle

Yes sir, the winner (I didn't read all of the...posts, maybe more with the same answer). At least according to the "current" expert advice. Along with some of the folks that make a living with their one shot-one kill shooting advice.

I did a lot of reading in the recent past on the subject. Some "seem" to have merit, some should have a cartoon written after them.

I normally used the first joint as the pivot point. So...I worked on giving the second (larger joint) joint only a try. A little difficult to get used to, but I found myself eventually, being MUCH more consistent, especially as I shoot offhand. The more I JUST bent the second joint, the easier is to be both accurate and, like I say, consistent. But, you have to roll your hand around a little, or farther forward on the grip to make sure that the middle joint starts out at as close to a 90° as possible to keep from..."pulling" the trigger sideways.

I've been shooting since the early 1980's. You can learn something new at any time..!

Mike

P.s. - Some of you "experts" should learn to use your spell check more often. It's difficult to take one seriously when...well...