PSI and FPS

Hi. My only air rifle is the Benjamin Maximus. As you know, its limit is about 2,000 psi and very easy to hand pump. FPS with 22 cal, 15.89 grain pellets is somewhere between 850 to 900 (I think).
Ok, so my question is, what are you gaining by going to a rifle such as the Gauntlet or Marauder that is more around 3,000 psi? The FPS on those rifles is similar to the Maximus in the same caliber.
Is it simply the ability to take more shots per full air load, or are these rifles actually more powerful in some way.
Please explain.
Thanks!

Hi. My only air rifle is the Benjamin Maximus. As you know, its limit is about 2,000 psi and very easy to hand pump. FPS with 22 cal, 15.89 grain pellets is somewhere between 850 to 900 (I think).
Ok, so my question is, what are you gaining by going to a rifle such as the Gauntlet or Marauder that is more around 3,000 psi? The FPS on those rifles is similar to the Maximus in the same caliber.
Is it simply the ability to take more shots per full air load, or are these rifles actually more powerful in some way.
Please explain.
Thanks!
FPS really isn't the important factor so much as muzzle energy is. More volume among heavier hammers, larger transfer ports and plenum, etc will allow you to throw heavier pellets faster and/or give you a higher shot count. There is a lot more to it than that but thats the basic gist of things.

The Marauder is not a huge step up from where you are now power wise but the Gauntlet certainly can be.

FPS really isn't the important factor so much as muzzle energy is. More volume among heavier hammers, larger transfer ports and plenum, etc will allow you to throw heavier pellets faster and/or give you a higher shot count. There is a lot more to it than that but thats the basic gist of things.

The Marauder is not a huge step up from where you are now power wise but the Gauntlet certainly can be.
I wouldn't recommend the Gauntlet. If you're looking to upgrade they have better options out there. I would look for accuracy over power, and side lever cocking, over bolt action, and if you want adjustability, you'll have to consider that as well. After market accessories for the design you choose are nice. I quit playing and went with the Fx Crown myself.

I wouldn't recommend the Gauntlet. If you're looking to upgrade they have better options out there. I would look for accuracy over power, and side lever cocking, over bolt action, and if you want adjustability, you'll have to consider that as well. After market accessories for the design you choose are nice. I quit playing and went with the Fx Crown myself.
I wouldn't recommend a Gauntlet either. Re-reading my post I think I could have been clearer. Power and shot count is a big step up from where OP is.

Reactions: .20calguy
Higher shot count and also the potential for higher speeds. Not critical for the 15.89s since you said you are already getting upwards of 900fps, but would give you the option of pushing heavier pellets at that same 900fps or so for more power while maintaining the same flatness of trajectory. That flatness is very important to me for hunting since it can mean the difference between a clean kill and a clean miss if your range estimate to targets that move around is off by only a handful of yards. But people that mainly bench shoot seem much less concerned about such flatness. So can depend on what you are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
With the exception of trying for max fpe in any caliber higher pressure has a lot to do with more consistent shots. Most higher pressure guns are regulated to a lower pressure. For example a gun filled to 3300 psi but regulated to 1900 psi is basically the same as a gun filled to 3000psi and regulated to 1900 psi. More shots from 3300 psi assuming same caliber, transfer port size and hammer strike. However with 3300 psi using a bigger port size and more hammer will probably get more fpe with the same number of shots as 3000 psi at lower fpe. Another way to look at it is compare the number of fills for your Maximus from a Scuba tank at 3000psi vs number of fills from a 74 cu ft carbon fiber tank at 4500 psi.