• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PSA - Negative Reviews - Gauntlet 2

Definitely a few things to be concerned about. Not knocking anyone or wanting any drama -- but I'm hearing similar things from friends of mine! 

September 6, 2021
By Edward | Overall rating 2.0 | Value for money 4.0 | Accuracy 2.0 | Verified Purchase

Things I liked:

I've owned this gun for 2 weeks now, and fired approx 500 rounds. What I like is...... Ergonomics, size of tank, shot count, and color. Honestly, if I could return it and get a full refund, I would.
Things I would have changed:

MANY! First, EVERY screw on the one I received was way loose! This trigger is by far the worst factor trigger I've ever seen. Long, gritty, and unpredictable. The action must be taken out of the stock/tank removed to reach the trigger adjustment... then adjust reassemble, test, apart, adjust, reassemble, test... you get the idea... annoying and time consuming at best. The "adjustable" cheek piece does not have enough adjustment to see through any scope without "reaching". When mounting a scope, to get proper eye relief, you must remove the front rail/mount for any scope larger than 40mm objective. The tank gauge...it is TINY and difficult to read... you'll need to rely on the compressor gauge or another for accurate fill pressure. Cocking is hard, but closing the action is harder.... it takes a literal "hit" with my hand to close it. Unimpressed with accuracy... I'm a decent shot, but even off bags, this gun will sometimes fire a nice group, and other times all over the place
What others should know:

I pre-ordered this gun based on several early reviews that just raved about it, and basically said this gun was the best thing since sliced bread. I waited for MONTHS, and frankly, I am disappointed, and would not buy this gun again, nor recommend it. If you do decided to buy, make sure you spend the $10 for 10 shots money that Pyramid offers. They mount the tank, test for leaks, fire/chrono 10 shots, and inspect. With all the other issues in the gun I received, I would call this a "Buyer Beware" gun/purchase, because IMO there was too many corners cut to meet the price point....if the little things are overlooked like tightening screws/bolts at the factory, then often times bigger things are left undone or are poorly done. The only other PCP that this gun can be compared to the the Benjamin Marauder, and the Marauder is head and shoulders above this gun....in every way. Recommendation: Spend the extra money and buy a Marauder.

I am not surprised to see this review. I received my Gen 2 several weeks ago and pretty much found the same thing.... Loose Shroud end Port (screws not tightened), loose two barrel screws (glad I installed a DonnyFL short shroud first or I might have fired my first shots with a loose barrel and shroud port). Rifle cocked OK but could not get a pellet pushed into the breach without smashing the long cocking lever with the palm of my hand. Could not get the tank to put the gauge in the open space at 1/4 turn. Slow leak when tank was pressurized. And to top it off, the long cocking lever was loose in the bolt and could not be tightened. I called Umarex and arranged a return for repair. Have not received it returned yet but it was in the mail back to me within a day and a half. I suspect they have replaced the rifle with a new one but won't know until I get it back. I like my Gen 1 and am still hopeful the Gen 2 will be acceptable when I receive it (expected delivery is today).

Source: Pyramyd Air - https://www.pyramydair.com/product/umarex-gauntlet-2-pcp-air-rifle?m=5343#10803

Not surprised really. The Gen 1's I had were sent back twice, and I told them send me a FedEx label, as the issues were so egregious. The third one received back from Fort Smith had a letter stating they would not further warrant the rifle, that I am receiving the rifle in "AS-IS" condition. Will never buy another Umarex product. Many of the issues described above, and more, were found on mine.

Not surprised really. The Gen 1's I had were sent back twice, and I told them send me a FedEx label, as the issues were so egregious. The third one received back from Fort Smith had a letter stating they would not further warrant the rifle, that I am receiving the rifle in "AS-IS" condition. Will never buy another Umarex product. Many of the issues described above, and more, were found on mine.

Absolutely -- thank you for further solidifying these claims. I am absolutely not trying to poop all over Umarex but -- the truth is the truth. I mean if you are an experienced airsmith/tuner/tinkerer these problems aren't too bad to fix -- but the beginner PCP user might not be comfortable doing these fixes themselves. Also potential to void warranty...

Sorry to hear that Bambuino -- definitely sucks. The barrels/breech block are very prone to corrosion/rust as well, which was another problem I had.

I had a similar experience with umarex, I ordered a Gauntlet 1, refurb, for less than $200. The first issue was it cocked like it was full of gravel, the trigger was a mile of bad road before it broke. When I adjusted the trigger, I gave it a once over and found the barrel grub screws were loose, apparently because the hex heads were cracked. I managed to get them out and found some new replacements. After it was all assembled, I discovered that the regulator had failed high and the low pressure burst plug popped at about 1800 pounds each time I tried to fill it, apparently not uncommon I found (Taiwan regulator issue I heard)? While I was waiting for a replacement 22 ci bottle/reg for it, I installed a short shroud and discovered that the barrel brace that mounts on the bottle block had ruined threads on one of the screws. The only thing I can say about that rifle is that it is accurate, even out to 80 yds with pellets, it prefers, or rather I quit looking for the best pellet when I discovered it shoots 5.52 RWS Super Fields ($10.99/500). I would thing twice about an RWS at this point. Looked to me like they marked a returned rifle “refurb”, put it in a new box, and sent it out the door…

nirinium

...The barrels/breech block are very prone to corrosion/rust as well, which was another problem I had.

Yeah I think the whole bluing process was pretty much skipped because barrel is hidden in the shroud. I recall the last bit of BS when I got the 3rd rifle was when I knocked the bolt out of the hold open slot, the bolt flew forward, and FIRED the rifle. Dangerous stuff, man.

I am not going to make any excuses for Umarex (or SPA) but these guns are low priced for a reason. They are feature packed if you are handy enough to work out the problems, if not -don't buy. I have the original model and did a lot of modding on it and it's accuracy defys logic and I have never had a poi shift either. The regulator has been has constant has the sun. Most importantly, first shot accuracy after sitting for a weeks has always been spot on. I have over 13,000 pellets through it and I could not ask for a more reliable gun. If I had a Daystate or an FX that shot exactly the same I would be just as happy. I know it won't last as long, and it isn't as pretty or cool as those guns, but it's pretty freaking awesome for the money and elbow grease I put into it. I wouldn't buy another, only because it is just too heavy and long. You are right though, a gun should come working to spec. out of the box. It is pure B.S. to have re-build a new gun when you get it, and I have seen this with Umarex and SPA.

I cannot knock on Shaoxing/Snow Peak as the PP750 .22 I have, although not exactly what I would consider low-priced, is light-years ahead of the UX. When a new gun is functioning properly, and you WANT to TUNE it, there is reward in that. When a new gun is junk and you HAVE to WORK on it, it's an overpriced POS. That is the difference between SPA and UX, respectively. Just my opinion.

The trigger is exactly as the first one. Mediocre at best. Cocking it will make me appreciate every other rifle that I’ve ever shot.

Where this thing shines is the regulator. Shot a partial string with 18.13 JSB. See below.

2424EBD2-C3F3-4735-B3F4-50977AF67BEB.1631063459.jpeg

Waiting for some 25.39 redesigned to arrive to play with.

Sorry to hear of these concerns, I've always been a supporter of the Gauntlet based on my positive experience with a Generation 1. I did adjust trigger and installed lighter spring, per YouTube video, but have had no other problems. Rifle is long, heavy and the bolt took awhile to loosen up, but has proved a solid shooter. Doesn't compare to my M3, but is also $2,000 cheaper. Again, I'm sorry for those having problems with the Gauntlet 2, I'd hoped for better results from the next generation.

WM

Umarex made there rep. for quality control service and (no) parts years ago. Some may remember when they took over the RWS line in the U.S. and not much has changed for the better except price.

Screws darn sure should be tight but........... .

Personally cant put much faith in the 1st "review" op shared starting with the trigger. It's a QB78 folks, well known, simple and very good. They even modified the stock design so just one bolt -no having to remove safety anymore to pull action- and the stock is off. You can view the sear engagement without even removing the side plate. Take your time and it's less than 5 minutes to ( and yes they Need it done) pull stock & side plate straighten up that dragging return spring and adjust to a trigger that is fine for FT or most anything. 

Be prepared to check all screws - many shooters do this with any and every new rig as even some very expensive airguns have been know to have a loose something or other- and have a basic understanding of airguns like the bottle is loose until under pressure and they are one heck of a great value. 

Gen 1 with Only trigger adjustment, no sanding/smoothing/parts.other Except 1 loose barrel screw tightened up AND the screw which holds cocking bolt in was loose as well.. No poi shift ever, no leaks, no problems after a couple of years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMHsVjIntE

John

edit: some pictures of trigger for folks who might never have had a QB or such. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/received-my-used-guantlet-today/?referrer=1 

Par for the course with hit or miss QC with China guns and Snow Peak in particular.

I did not fall into the Gauntlet pit, wth me it was the Skyhawk, shroud was threaded crooked on both ends, barrel interior was inconsistent in dimensions with loose and tight spots, no parts or service from Diana, not Umerex, just another Snow Peak gun with crappy Chinese quality in a lovely Italian stock.

On these price point $300.00 guns with regulators, barrel shrouds, stock, and in cases a sidelever et. al., the dealer probably paid less than $200, the factory had very little pay in labor, if not slave labor, and had probably less than $100.00 in the entire gun. A Huma regulator costs more than that.

I buy European and American these days for both airguns and compressors at the next price level, $600-$800, Bulldog, Kratos, AirForce, Altaros but never Hatsan. As a result, I have personally had better luck with a product that is known to be fickle at best and a box of parts in the closet at worst, meaning PCP’S, but like all of us, I love them.

Regards,

Roachcreek

I cannot knock on Shaoxing/Snow Peak as the PP750 .22 I have, although not exactly what I would consider low-priced, is light-years ahead of the UX. When a new gun is functioning properly, and you WANT to TUNE it, there is reward in that. When a new gun is junk and you HAVE to WORK on it, it's an overpriced POS. That is the difference between SPA and UX, respectively. Just my opinion.

+1

Got mine today and the bolt feels smooth but takes a lot of pressure to pull it the last 1/4" or so cocking it. The 1st gen I bought years ago felt like it had a handful of sand in the receiver fighting the bolt all the way. That one I smoothed out with a sandpaper roll on a dowel spun by a drill and gave it some Molykote M77.

I see these guns as a relatively cheap base to modify. Brand new fixer uppers. Probably not the best choice for first time pcp buyers.

haven't had any issues with my .25 gen1 .i didn't realize how heavy it actually is , my fault . trigger was heavy long and jerky out of the box but it was totally painless to adjust the trigger to where i like it . i told myself i'd polish the contacts in the trigger but i really haven't felt the need to . the bolt is still heavy/stiff but i don't shoot it as much since we have cows behind us now . i have shot a deer head (my betters halfs grandson shot it with his .270) between the eyes 3 times with AA pellets at 20ish feet and all went deep into the brain . i think i'm gonna get a .177 fortitude gen2 for plinking and less hand pumping (just turned 60) and less fpe to worry about . anyhow , i've got a 6-24 hawke vantage SF on it and it's almost boringly accurate at 40ish yards or less . i don't care for the style of the gen2 myself but everything isn't for everybody . 

I don't quite get the hate on the Gauntlets. As a beginner to airguns, I started with a G1. It was exceedingly simple to set the trigger to a spot I liked and while it was longish and a bit stiff out of the box, I did not feel too much grit and it it felt very decent after I adjusted it. The G1 I got had the cheapo reg and I went with a Ninja flex reg to up the power and have options. They went back to Ninja on these, which was a great choice. Ninja regs are very consistent, just make SURE to use clean air as the one flaw with Ninja is that the plastic ball in the piston can deform if it gets dirt in it and that will cause the reg to spike and blow your burst disk. Pretty simple and cheap fix if it does, but realize up front that if you blow a burst disk on a Ninja....you should rebuild that instead of sticking new disks in first.

What these guns excel at is 25-75 yard shooting. The .25 I had is very accurate at those ranges with the 25g JSB and was shooting in the 910 range at 2k reg pressure and the Haji adjustable hammer kit in it. For being heavy, they do have a nice balance to them and I can say I never had a POI issue with it and I was not trying to be super cautious with it. I never had a cheek weld issue with my setup I never had to adjust the cheek riser up at all. Never had any screw loose on the G1, but when I installed parts back in, I always use purple loctite (lower strength and used in gunsmithing quite often for smaller screws).

My negatives on the gun...which some is nitpicking just to be objective

-The safety SUCKS. Not that it does not function, but the design is the dumbest sh*t ever. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have you pull the safety back directly at the trigger is probably running for office next election. You would have to be politician stupid to make this thing they way they did.

-The fit and finish is rough. Not really unexpected from a Chinese facility, but this is where you pay extra money to some other companies. For the most part this is not a huge problem, but it would probably be beneficial if someone was to use a jewelers file to very light break edges on screw holes where orings will slide past to keep from cutting them while takign it apart and putting back together.

-I wish they had designed the foregrip with more room for the QD and gauge. This is more of a me thing, but I don't like the bottle being loose when empty. No real effect other than me just knowing it is not screwed down tight.

-Also with the foregrip, just make some extra room for the common CF bottles to fit. Not something you cannot do, but would be nice if it was done during moulding process.

-The bolt is stiff. I found mine smoothed out and it is not as bad as out of the box, but I do greatly prefer the side lever. Extra engineering and parts means higher price.

-The magazines need tuned. Not hard, but takes a little time to smooth edges out and make sure they do not wear the probe orings. 

-I did have a slow leak from the gauge. Dropping an oring in there solved that. Should probably come from the factory with that, but it cost me a nickel.

For the price, modability, and especially the power, I would say that if I was starting out on a budget right now I would probably still have gotten a gauntlet.

I got the Gauntlet 2 in .22 today and when i went to zero the scope the magazine each cuase two pellet jams and it was hell trying to get the mags out but it seems that the probe wont go into the magazine so any ways i wonder whats wrong but the single pellet tray works good ,feeds the pellets right on in, so maybe i got two bad magazines ..

Honestly I have NEVER seen a mag like the Gauntlet cause a "double load". It is the operator who does it. The bolt is pulled back (to cock) and then pushed thru the mag sending the pellet into the barrel. Unless you have 2 pellets in that hole in the mag, how do 2 get into the barrel? What I propose is happening 100 out of 100 times is that the operator did not fully cock the gun and has to withdraw the bolt, allowing the mag to advance, to re-cock the gun. Now if the mag is not removed then the operator is now loading a second pellet into the barrel as the bot is pushed forward. How is the on the mag? Maybe I'm confused.