• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

PRS Rimfire vs NRL22

Just some observations about the differences between NRL22 and PRS rimfire as it relates to air guns. I know we have some non-US people in this sub-forum, so know that this is very US-centric. Also, know that I am by no means an expert about anything, these are just things that I have observed and pondered on. There are smarter and/or more active competitors around here that hopefully can add their observations and opinions.

NRL22 is air rifle friendly. They have a dedicated Air Rifle division. The air rifle winner of each monthly match is eligible for the monthly prize drawing. Shooting in the air rifle division let's you accrue points towards a National Championship invitation.

From an equipment stand point, NRL22 is great for air rifles. They allow slugs up to .35 caliber and up to 85 grains. The standard props are suitable for most typical air rifles with a front tank, the main exception being the middle rungs on the pyramid and shooting through the back of the folding chair like the February COF.

And the 100 yard format for the monthly COF as well as the typical 10-12 round count per stage makes this shootable with a variety of air rifles. But for the NRL22 X matches, you would want to have some high BC slugs ready to go for 300+ yard stages.

PRS rimfire is not really air rifle friendly. While they do have an Air Gun division, they do not give any slots to the regional or national finales. (they also don't have slots for semi-auto division). The top 80 Open division shooters and the top 15 Production division shooters get slots to Regionals. The top 30 Open and top 3 Production get a slot to Nationals. So if you wanted to get a slot to Nationals in PRS, you would need to compete in Open division and win a bunch of matches.

For equipment, they are more restrictive. Slugs or pellets in .22 and .25, weight limit of 49 grains. .30 is pellets only, 50 grain limit.

The courses for PRS Rimfire have some difficulties for air rifles as well. First is the ranges, which are typically 350+ yards. Secondly, of the 5 PRS rimfire matches I've shot this year so far, 3 matches at 2 different locations had barricades on some stages that were not shootable if you have a gun with a front bottle. The issue typically is a culvert or PRS barricade with a 5 inch high slot that you have to shoot through. You could squeeze the gun into the slot but couldn't see through the scope.

I've also heard from a well respected air gun shooter (not me, obviously) that some match directors for PRS rimfire matches are opposed to air rifles at their matches. They seem to be under the mistaken impression that the air rifle slugs will destroy their targets.

If you want to compete at precision rifle shooting with an airgun, there are some things you will need, common to NRL22 and PRS-R. You will need a gun that is accurate to 100 yards, that has a balance point 3 to 4 inches forward of the action, that uses at least 10 round magazines (12 is better (exactly 20% better)), and can shoot at least 15 shots before needing to be filled.

If you want to compete in NRL22 X matches or the NRL22 National Championship, you will need to stretch out to 300+ yards. So now we are looking at slugs, make sure your magazines can handle slugs.

If you want to compete in PRS rimfire matches, you need everything listed for NRL22 X matches, but remember that the slugs can only be .22 or .25, and no more than 49 grains. You will also want a slim fore end to squeeze into some barricades. And your scope choice will be important, since you will be shooting lower velocities than the rimfire shooters so there will be more drop for the far targets. And if you want to be competitive at a high level, you will be competing against high end rimfire guns shot by very good shooters. No, production class isn't an option for air guns. The only gun that would meet the price requirement for Production class would be something like an Avenge-X. No offense, but an Avenge-X is not going to compete against a decent CZ-457 at 300 yards.

So why shoot an air rifle for precision rifle matches? Well, the main reason is because air rifles are fun. And they can be much more "neighbor friendly" for more practice options. But the biggest factor is probably the ammo. Some of the slugs coming out now have much better BCs than 22lr bullets. And the price is very good as well. ATP Kings are going for $25 for 110 slugs. That's the same price as lower-mid tier 22lr ammo. The good 22lr ammo is at least $47 per 100. And with 22lr, you have to ammo test, and then lot test once you find the ammo your gun likes. All of the power is in the ammo, so if you want to shoot faster or slower you have to change to a different ammo and go back to the whole lot testing thing. With air guns, you can tune the gun to the ammo instead of the other way around.

In conclusion, NRL22 is currently better suited for air rifle competitors. Unfortunately, it's quite a drive to find NRL22 matches in some parts of the US, so PRS Rimfire is the only viable option for some of us. Hopefully PRS will update their air rifle rules to more accurately reflect the realty of shooting air rifles versus rimfire rifles.

Hopefully.

I feel like PRS intentionally makes it impossible for airguns to have a slot at the nationals to save space for the top rimfire shooters. They also probably feel that airguns are a joke in comparison, and have such low attendance, that they aren't worried about it.

It'd be interesting if someone would test the "destroying target" theory to see if it has merit or not. The steel targets definitely won't get dimpled but could possibly bend with heavier airgun projectiles going fast. However aren't high velocity 22rf - "1250 fps/140 fpe" allowed in either PRS and NRL?

I do know that the Altaros 60gr 25 cal slugs at 99 fpe will slam down a UFT target very hard, hard enough my friend who I was squaded with was laughing at this particular observation, but I seriously doubt any damage has occurred to them.

The better steel's used are AR500 which should be tough enough I'd think, maybe not??
Seems that after years of use the steel meant for closer distances, say 50Y or less, would need to be, bent back, repaired, or replaced, I don't know???

I'd like to see how well the very topmost placing 22rf shooters in these sports would do with the best tactical style airguns using those higher BC slugs?!

I agree with what you are saying. The match directors don't know or understand air rifles and aren't exposed to them, so it's an uphill battle of education.

I wouldn't put too much effort into testing the toughness of targets. We are shooting the same or slightly less power levels as rimfire, I think this is just one backwards match director that saw a youtube video of someone hunting pigs from a helicopter with an air rifle. I've never seen rimfire ammo checked at a match to see if someone was shooting something too hot or minimags or something, so I don't understand the weird restrictions on air rifle ammo.

Hopefully.

I feel like PRS intentionally makes it impossible for airguns to have a slot at the nationals to save space for the top rimfire shooters. They also probably feel that airguns are a joke in comparison, and have such low attendance, that they aren't worried about it.

It'd be interesting if someone would test the "destroying target" theory to see if it has merit or not. The steel targets definitely won't get dimpled but could possibly bend with heavier airgun projectiles going fast. However aren't high velocity 22rf - "1250 fps/140 fpe" allowed in either PRS and NRL?

I do know that the Altaros 60gr 25 cal slugs at 99 fpe will slam down a UFT target very hard, hard enough my friend who I was squaded with was laughing at this particular observation, but I seriously doubt any damage has occurred to them.

The better steel's used are AR500 which should be tough enough I'd think, maybe not??
Seems that after years of use the steel meant for closer distances, say 50Y or less, would need to be, bent back, repaired, or replaced, I don't know???

I'd like to see how well the very topmost placing 22rf shooters in these sports would do with the best tactical style airguns using those higher BC slugs?!
I have shot 45 caliber airguns at AR500 targets at 50 yards. It sends the target spinning, but no real damage. If they are worries about damaging targets they need better targets!

Reactions: steve123
I have shot 45 caliber airguns at AR500 targets at 50 yards. It sends the target spinning, but no real damage. If they are worries about damaging targets they need better targets!

I have to agree with better targets.
    • In the PRS Rimfire Series, shooters primarily use rimfire cartridges. These cartridges are smaller in caliber compared to centerfire cartridges commonly used in other precision rifle competitions.
    • The specific rimfire calibers allowed can vary, but popular choices include .22 LR (Long Rifle) and .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire). These calibers offer excellent accuracy and are well-suited for precision shooting at shorter distances.
    • Shooters often customize their rifles with high-quality barrels, stocks, and optics to maximize accuracy within the rimfire constraints.
  1. Foot-Pounds of Energy (FPE):
    • FPE refers to the energy delivered by a projectile upon impact. It’s an important consideration for ethical and effective hunting or target shooting.
    • Rimfire cartridges typically have lower muzzle energy compared to centerfire cartridges. For example:
      • A typical .22 LR cartridge generates around 100-150 foot-pounds of energy (FPE) depending on the load.
      • A .17 HMR cartridge delivers approximately 250-300 FPE.

I have to agree with better targets.
    • In the PRS Rimfire Series, shooters primarily use rimfire cartridges. These cartridges are smaller in caliber compared to centerfire cartridges commonly used in other precision rifle competitions.
    • The specific rimfire calibers allowed can vary, but popular choices include .22 LR (Long Rifle) and .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire). These calibers offer excellent accuracy and are well-suited for precision shooting at shorter distances.
    • Shooters often customize their rifles with high-quality barrels, stocks, and optics to maximize accuracy within the rimfire constraints.
  1. Foot-Pounds of Energy (FPE):
    • FPE refers to the energy delivered by a projectile upon impact. It’s an important consideration for ethical and effective hunting or target shooting.
    • Rimfire cartridges typically have lower muzzle energy compared to centerfire cartridges. For example:
      • A typical .22 LR cartridge generates around 100-150 foot-pounds of energy (FPE) depending on the load.
      • A .17 HMR cartridge delivers approximately 250-300 FPE.
Not sure where you got this information, but .17HMR is definitely not allowed for PRS rimfire or NRL-22 matches.

And we don't need to keep focusing on the target thing, we know that air guns shooting at 70-100 FPE are not going to hurt a steel target any more than .22lr. The reason I brought it up was to show the ignorance of some match directors about air rifles.

Not sure where you got this information, but .17HMR is definitely not allowed for PRS rimfire or NRL-22 matches.

And we don't need to keep focusing on the target thing, we know that air guns shooting at 70-100 FPE are not going to hurt a steel target any more than .22lr. The reason I brought it up was to show the ignorance of some match directors about air rifles.
https://www.precisionrimfire.net/rules22-1124.htm, Not all PSR have the same rules.

I have shot prs rimfire a lot with 10/22, bergara, vudoos, cz and rim x guns and 100% agree that the PRS series doesn't care about air rifles one bit. Scott explained perfectly. I have dabbled with air rifles in prs and you are at a disadvantage from "time starts now". So I will not shoot prs series with air rifle. I have never been to a nrl22 match because none around me. Hopefully more will become available here in OK and I will do air rifle. If air rifle is your passion I would support NRL22 100%.