• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

PRS Practice for NAC with the FX Panthera

I threw together a little video while I was out doing some training for NAC today. A lot of my viewers are like me and are just getting into airgun competitions, so maybe this is useful or at least relatable/entertaining/etc. I'm still learning the finer points to NRL22 and PRS style shooting, but here's today's practice "stage":

Watching this I see I left my breech closed on my first transition (d'oh!), but other than that I figured I'd let you guys roast me on whatever else so I can learn and improve however I can! 🔥🔥🔥

I won't roast you at all because your shooting was great. You talked about 'working with what you have' and I would make some suggestions for practice if you're going to shoot PRS or NRL22 matches. NRL22 was designed for just about anyone to be able to host a match as long as they have access to a 100 yard range. You will often see stages where you are shooting your rifle off the back of a folding chair, or from the steps of a ladder. You see a lot of KYL's at 50 yards from some kind of a barricade. If you have some scrap 2x4's around I'd suggest building a 3' or 4' wide frame with shooting ledges at 1', 2', 3', and 4'. You will often see stages where you are shooting from a window frame or where there is a 2x4 frame with a variety of positions at different heights. You typically have 90 seconds during the stage to shoot get 2 hits on 4 to 6 targets and different distances. If you have 4x4's laying around (I know, less likely) you should build a tank trap as you'll see those all the time in matches. The angled position you were practicing from is a great idea. I would add a little more angle to it, as the ones you see in competition almost always have more angle to the rooftop and you'll need to kneel behind the gun and learn how to stabilize it. That is definitely a skill set that takes practice. I appreciate you being willing to put yourself out there with the video. Good luck in your PRS journey. It's a lot of fun and a good bit of frustration too :)

Reactions: Str8tshooter
I won't roast you at all because your shooting was great. You talked about 'working with what you have' and I would make some suggestions for practice if you're going to shoot PRS or NRL22 matches. NRL22 was designed for just about anyone to be able to host a match as long as they have access to a 100 yard range. You will often see stages where you are shooting your rifle off the back of a folding chair, or from the steps of a ladder. You see a lot of KYL's at 50 yards from some kind of a barricade. If you have some scrap 2x4's around I'd suggest building a 3' or 4' wide frame with shooting ledges at 1', 2', 3', and 4'. You will often see stages where you are shooting from a window frame or where there is a 2x4 frame with a variety of positions at different heights. You typically have 90 seconds during the stage to shoot get 2 hits on 4 to 6 targets and different distances. If you have 4x4's laying around (I know, less likely) you should build a tank trap as you'll see those all the time in matches. The angled position you were practicing from is a great idea. I would add a little more angle to it, as the ones you see in competition almost always have more angle to the rooftop and you'll need to kneel behind the gun and learn how to stabilize it. That is definitely a skill set that takes practice. I appreciate you being willing to put yourself out there with the video. Good luck in your PRS journey. It's a lot of fun and a good bit of frustration too :)
If possible, I would be interested in pictures of window frame and any other shooting barricades. Is there a standard height for Tank Traps? Thanks!

The picture below is a good example of what I was talking about. Here is a link to a thread at Snipers Hide that has some great DIY practice barricade, rooftops, etc. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/prs-diy-barricades-pics-encouraged.6933355/

BTW, if you're not familiar with the device on the end of the scope in the picture below, it's called a 'DFAT.' It allows your scope to focus at about 12' which let's you dry fire your rifle inside your home for practice sessions. They work well and are a great tool to have for your practice. https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_DST-DFAT.htm

1696190164700.png

Last edited: