Prototype All Wooden Pellet Trap

I just finished up a prototype wooden pellet trap from things I had around the workshop. The only metal is 90 degree angle I put on the front outside, sides and bottom to hold the cardboard. Outside is 14½" x 14½" x 12” making the inside 13” x 13”. Sides, top and bottom made from 3/4" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). after placing 1 ½” thick x 3” long pieces of end grain well cures pine as the backer the inside depth is 9", two rows of 7/8" end grain maple finished off the opening. End grain of any wood is always stronger than edge or face grain. I’m hoping the initial pellet hit will embed some and then start building up lead without doing damage much deeper than 1” max. If that does not work and the pine fails then I a nice 1½’ thick quarter sawn oak that the end grain would be a significant step up from the pine, then there is always maple. I put a 1/2" plywood back on, took some wooden shims and hammered them into any cracks to tighten things up from the inside. I did not glue the blocks to make replacement easier. This is a prototype so no paint, used the base (with minor modifications) that was holding the metal pellet trap this replaces.

If I decide to rebuild this I will assemble the back end grain pieces first and build the box around it. Although the pine was well cured they were wide pieces and as such cupped. A replacement backer will have flat pieces to make the fit tighter. I didn’t notice until after the tops and sides were cut that my tracksaw blade was slightly out of square, it was more noticeable when I was cutting the 1½".

My shooting bench was in the Phoenix sun by the time I finished and I was tired as well so I will shot some tomorrow and show you the impacts.

Cut list
2-14.5 x 12 x 3/4" top and bottom
2-13 x 12 x 3/4" sides
Bunch of end grain wood of your choosing to fill the 13"x13" opening.

I used pocket screws to assemble and glued the butt joints, use plenty on the end grain of the MDF as it will soak up the glue. The screen shot of the bubble level is from my phone sitting on top of the pellet trap. Here are some photos:

IMG_2074.jpeg
IMG_2075.jpeg
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2081.jpeg
IMG_2078.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg
IMG_2080.jpeg