• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Prototype 1 barrel guard plus ring for Bullboss

Debated if this is the right section or if it falls under "accessories" if I'm wrong, my apologies.

Thought I would share one of my prints. It's the first prototype. I plan to revise it a few things.

Future possible revisions:

#1 The blue tube with the barrel band will have more tactical appearance. Maybe add some rails, or faux vents. 

#2 have complete bottom air tube covered. To match better with the upper hand guard.

#3 I'm iffy on this one. In the space between the upper scope mount and the stock was thinking to add some paneling. 

#4 current rectangle vents will be switched to M-lok. More for style than function .

This is a low polly model. When I settle on a full design I'll do a final highpolly print. Obviously not in blue. Then I'll decide on a final material.

Be kind this a very rought draft of a concept I'm playing with.
IMG_20210117_201439.1610933468.jpg
IMG_20210117_201704.1610933475.jpg
IMG_20210117_201716.1610933481.jpg

I'll chime in , I like it , as you know the front part of the stock flex's so may need to fill in that gap between air tube and stock at the front . In doing so you may want thicken the first inch of your addition and add a couple of set screws to the sides so that it will secure it to the air tube (like the marauder barrel band) it will help secure your shrould from moving better . Radius your ends of the triangles as you said and maybe some long open slots in the front part that goes over the shrould , keep the weight down as it weighs a ton by itself . Have you seen the mag holders that one of the forum member makes ? BTW what type moderator is that ? Good luck , I can envision it in black so show your final product when done, I may want to buy one when your done LOL

I like it. Looks good nice design work. I would recommend doing final prints with either PETG or Rigid TPU like the ninjatech Armadillo. Both have a little flex to them so they wont snap very easy. And they both can handle extreme cold with out becoming brittle. A small rail on top could be cool for a small flashlight or maybe 2 on the sides for flashlights. 

I like both you ideas I 0lan to incorporate some of those for sure.

Right now the barrel band and end barrel shroud are one piece. They are very firmly on their. Had to use a tiny dab if gun pin to slide it on. The bottom of the band will be thinned a bit so it doesn't touch the inside bottom of the stock. Right now it's about .20mm to thick. 

PETG is a good idea. On other prints I use SPLA. PLA with PETG added. But that has been a bit finniky with print quality. Could be my role but it exteremly stringy (not a huge deal) but it also seems to produce micro Air bubbles that make a few Areas brittle.

TPU I've never printed with before but I'll order up a roll and check it out.

For fun once I have a final product I'll bring it to metal worker/CC place down the street. They can take my 3D render and do it in Aluminum. I thought that would be nice for the paneling. May safe a few ounces while.

As I progress I'll post up some pictures for suggestions.

Any thoughts on printing with ABS or Nylon? Never tried those before but the price per roll has come down

ABS is too finicky. It warps very easy while printing. Nylon is finicky as well but can be very strong once you get the print setting dialed in. TPU is a very flexible material that lots of us use for making camera mounts for drones. Amadillo is a rigid TPU that is stronger than nylon and way easier to print as well. 

The stringing issue you are having could be too hot of nozzle temp or you might need to change your retraction settings. The air bubbles are going to be from the material being wet. All printing material start absorbing moisture from the time its opened. I store all mine in gallon siploc bags with the dry packs they had in the original packaging. You will need to dry it out either with a dehydrator or oven. If you use the oven I normally turn mine on to 170 degrees or what eve the lowest temp you can get it. Let it get to temp turn it off then put the roll in the oven. Let sit in there for an hour.

PLA and variations of PLA are going to be easiest to use but will become very brittle in cold. PETG doesnt mind the cold and can be very strong and light if printed with good infill. Before you have the first metal version cut id recommend getting the shop to give you a estimated weight, that way you can see if its going to make the rifle too heavy. My guess is its going to be very heavy in metal and would be better in printed material.