Protected Migratory Bird List ... Common Grackle & ?

Okay 🤔 , the list of birds that can be shot without a license or federal permit with multiple approvals and documentation ... appears rather short these days. Maybe it always was. Found the 2023 list and surprised to see the Common Grackle on the list of protected migratory birds ... even AI chat didn't get the answer right when I ran the question. IMHO, the Common Grackle is an outright onery and meanie of a bird from my observations since childhood. Its a pest bird but my opinion matters little to the federal gov't. How in the world did this black bandit make it on the list ... no shortage of them in my bubble of living.

So pest birds at this point boil down to the House Sparrow, European Starling, Eurasian Collared Dove, and Pigeon (Rock Common)? Heck, a house cat has more hunting rights than I do! 🐈‍⬛ Is my current list of pest birds look correct? 🤷‍♂️

Some other observations in my area - no shortage of birds of prey, specifically Hawks and Eagles. I've seen a huge decline in pheasants and rabbits over decades... drive down SD roads and no problem with a high count of predators on fence, utility polls, or dead windrow trees etc. Even see some have moved into towns. American Robin, huge numbers, now have several pairs and multiple territorial disputes on the lawn and in the trees - fields ... actually that is what prompted me to look at the protected list in the first place and see if they had been removed - nope.

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
I did look at the application process ... after 100 bucks, additional form approval with GFP, documentation, and long-term remediation against continued killing...:LOL::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: Financially proving loss over a 100 bucks, likely a stretch for the duration of the permit. However, has anyone successfully been granted a permit who is not a farmer or rancher ... just a fellow similar me with about an acre, neighbors, few ducks, pets, and a garden?

I know it is state specific, but with written permission from rancher or farmer you can use their depredation permit and status to
do pesting on that property.
A predator permit for carnivores is available for the asking from game and fish. This permit allows shooting predators on property owned or leased or
with permission even at night.
good hunting.

doc

Okay 🤔 , the list of birds that can be shot without a license or federal permit with multiple approvals and documentation ... appears rather short these days. Maybe it always was. Found the 2023 list and surprised to see the Common Grackle on the list of protected migratory birds ... even AI chat didn't get the answer right when I ran the question. IMHO, the Common Grackle is an outright onery and meanie of a bird from my observations since childhood. Its a pest bird but my opinion matters little to the federal gov't. How in the world did this black bandit make it on the list ... no shortage of them in my bubble of living.

So pest birds at this point boil down to the House Sparrow, European Starling, Eurasian Collared Dove, and Pigeon (Rock Common)? Heck, a house cat has more hunting rights than I do! 🐈‍⬛ Is my current list of pest birds look correct? 🤷‍♂️

Some other observations in my area - no shortage of birds of prey, specifically Hawks and Eagles. I've seen a huge decline in pheasants and rabbits over decades... drive down SD roads and no problem with a high count of predators on fence, utility polls, or dead windrow trees etc. Even see some have moved into towns. American Robin, huge numbers, now have several pairs and multiple territorial disputes on the lawn and in the trees - fields ... actually that is what prompted me to look at the protected list in the first place and see if they had been removed - nope.
As a fellow SD resident your list looks right as far as I can find out also. But it looks like you did alot more research as far as depredation. Starlings, pigeons, collared dove, and house sparrow are always in my sights. As far as a few of the others go, 3-S as need be, or maybe a few hungry cats.

Reactions: Dairyboy
In Iowa the collard dove is protected as a game bird.
The collared dove is now listed in our PA bird books . Don't know what it's classed as of yet, game or pest . Maybe in the next license year we'll see . I've not seen any yet in my area. European starling , English sparrows & pigeons are the only non-game / pest birds . The powers that be are considering ( I've heard ) putting Chipmunks on the pest list , still waiting on confirmation there . Someone I know that is close to LEO's has been told that chippies can be taken if they are causing damage so...

In Iowa the collard dove is protected as a game bird.
That's crazy. I thought maybe it was an enforcement issue during regular dove season, but found this from the official Iowa Dept of Natural Resources site.

Birds All birds in Iowa are protected except for game birds in season, European starlings, and house sparrows. Minus the exceptions, it is illegal to collect bird feathers, nests, or eggs, and to kill, collect, or keep any bird without a special permit, such as a one for an educational facility or a wildlife rehabilitation center.

I can't imagine why an invasive, non-indigenous species would ever be protected.

GsT

Reactions: Contndr35BB