• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Prosport Issue?

I had wrote about this problem/issue that I have w/my Prosport. So this is a shortened summary of what I had wrote before. So maybe/hopefully someone can tell me what's going on and how to alleviate it. Thank you before hand.

Ok members, I have a .177cal Prosport. I hear something moving/sliding inside the shroud area. The area I’m talking about is like a 4-5 inch area from the breach to the end of the forearm. So when I tip the rifle forward and backwards out in front of me with the butt in my right hand and the tip of the barrel in my left and dip the barrel down and up (we'll call it shaking for time saving/writing) is when I hear something is rolling/sliding.
My Prosport is tuned by none other than our Prosport doctor Nitrocrushr, who did an awesome job. The spring guide and top hat were done by a man who needs no introduction, Motorhead. Nitrocrushr helped me by trying to eliminate possible problems one at a time. First I made sure that all screws were tight/secured, I removed the scope to eliminate that possibility and still heard the noise. I then removed the action from the stock and checked the cocking lever's 2 screws (1 attaches to comp tube and the other attaches the cocking lever to the action/bottom of rifle) and they were very secure. I shook it again and I still hear it. I removed the guts and checked the spring, the guide the top hat, piston seal, the transfer port, the compression tube (which I left inside and attached to the cocking lever) and nothing was broken, damaged and/or missing. But I still hear the noise. I opened up the cocking lever all the way and left the breach area open, shook it and still heard it. I thought at first that it might be the delrin washers in the piston but when I removed the piston, those washers did not move what so ever. I am wondering if it could be a fragment of a pellet possibly. If so, then how could that be? Then I looked into the barrel from the muzzle end. Wondering if a baffle or an O-ring got clipped. I shined a flashlight in both ends and could see the o-rings and no damage was noticed nor did I see any other debris or damage.
I am at a loss. She still shoots superb and I know you guys/gals will probably suggest to leave it alone but the sound bothers me. I don't know what it is or how to find out. I do not want to remove the shroud because I am afraid of damaging the finish or being unable to put it back. Air Arms, I believe, has a lifetime warranty through PA (I think) but if I send it to them, they may just want to replace the rifle. Now if that happens, then I got to replace the JM spring with the oem one, replace the Motorhead guide and top hat with the oem ones along with the comp tube that came with it. I will also be giving up a Nitrocrushr lapped and polished barrel along with his tuning of the trigger. So I am at odds of going the PA route. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated as to my situation.

Seems you would not have any warranty on that rifle and you know tuners so just hand it off to one and let us all know what it turned out to be.

John

Think I'd have to agree. The guys you've mentioned that worked on your Pro Sport already should be able to remove the shroud and fish out whatever is in there. Has to be in the shroud from what you've told us, and I have to agree with you - I would need that fixed even IF it doesn't effect the way it shoots.

You mention the barrel is polished and lapped. Usually a pellet is pushed from the breech and out of the barrel to feel for any tight spots. Maybe some sort of lead slug was used in the process of the lapping and it got trapped between the the baffles and the muzzle. There is a large dead space inside the shroud and it's filled with the baffles. My money is still on a pellet that didn't make it all the way out the baffles. There are no o-rings, just plastic cylinders with one end having a cap that is drilled out to allow the pellet through. At the muzzle you can see the shrouds edge and then a short step back, maybe 1/32" to the first baffle. It's actually plastic, even though it looks like metal. The other baffles, that look like the o-rings you mention are gray in color and you only see the edge of their holes due to the angle when looking through the first black colored baffle at the muzzle end. It would be real easy for a pellet to be stuck in there. If pointing the gun down and shaking in all directions, vigorously, hasn't worked the next step could be removing the baffles. I would check and make sure I could get, and had the new baffles before trying to pull the others out. I know you could buy them 15-20 years ago.This route would save damage to the shrouds bluing. I don't know how tight the baffles are, but my Pro Elite baffles were a press fit because the end and second baffles blew out on their own. With 20 ft. lbs. and .177, I guess there was some muzzle blast. I used a little super glue on the new ones. Maybe some heat on the shroud would help them pull out.. You'd have to fashion some sort of tool to pull out the baffles, maybe a hex key with part of the short leg cut off so it would tip into the first baffle, then vise grips and sort of use this like a slide hammer. For what it's worth, I'd keep trying to shake the debris out. Remember there are several baffles and each one is a chamber with a smaller hole in it's bottom. It takes a little work just to get the pellet out of one baffle and into the next. The gun shoots great, as you've said, so I would just have to leave it as is, at the end of the day. For myself, it's not worth messing something up just to find the noise. You've got us all wanting to know what it is, so I hope something is found without too much work. Definitely let us know.

Last thought, I promise. There is plenty of room for a brass jag to fall off the rod and get caught up in the shroud. It wouldn't effect anything, but it would slide back and forth when tilting the gun. Only thought of this because I've had a jag come unscrewed, more than once, when pushing a patch through a barrel. The length would make the jag a good bit harder to shake out as well.