RTI Prophet I Problem: Loud POP!! and Pellets scattered out of the magazine?!? ➠ What happened?

Prophet I Problem:
Loud POP!! and Pellets scattered out of the magazine ➠ What happened?

● Gun: .22cal Prophet I Compact Performance
● REG: 160bar
● Bottle: 260bar

I was just shooting a magazine of JSB 18.13gr from the bench (MV around 900fps).

➠ All of the sudden, when the shot broke:
😵 There was a very loud POP!!! — right next to the ear!
😵 There was a strong blast of air hitting the eye!
😵 Most of the pellets in the magazine got scattered across the shooting table!

This happened one other time:
😵 In addition, the o-ring of the magazine came off!

Also, at the shot it seems like there is air coming out of the trigger adjustment holes (or somewhere on the right side of the action).

This is dangerous!!
❓ What in the world happened?
How can I fix this?

Thanks for any pointers you might have for me.

Matthias

Thank you for your comments (and your concern for my sleep 😊)! 👍🏼

● The pellet pusher still has the o-ring #64 on it....

● The schematic shows an o-ring #65, but the diagram leaves me confused as to where that o-ring is located.

● I forgot to mention that my MV was definitely lower, so you are right: there is a loss of "shot-air" there somewhere....

● Do I need to disassemble the action?
Or is there anything else I can do that is short of open heart surgery?

Thanks,
Matthias

As trompis said above, it is likely the barrel to rear block o-rings, #6 in this diagram. I’ve changed mine to 90 duro, and as suggested, you need to be very careful not to damage them on install. This is a Priest diagram, but the barrel seals are the same.
IMG_2931.png

While you guys are handling diagnostics, I’m sitting here trying to figure out why you have your reg at 160b to shoot 18.1’s at 900fps. We talk about the plateau, knee and downslope. Have you discovered something about shooting in the valley? Or are you still on the downslope right before the graph runs out of paper?

Uuuuh, Frank, your post was like the surgeon's scalpel cutting right where the cancer is. Excellent observation. 👍🏼

OK, so I dug through me shooting log — since this gun has not been out in the wild for a while....

Note that this is the Compact Performance, with
the short 400mm CZ barrel, and an additional plenum installed (OEM comes w/o plenum).

➊ Before my episode in the OP the gun used to shoot
18gr at 922fps (34FPE) —
3% below the knee —
with a REG at 135bar — not 160bar! 🤦🏻‍♂️

➋ And my next entry in my log shows the same pellet that used to shoot 922fps now only meanders out of the muzzle at
860fps (30FPE)! 😳
Also... — I observed the REG to show 160bar! 😵

➠ I must have been extremely preoccuped on a pesting session, while also holding the hand of a new inductee to airgunning — that this totally ridiculous change didn't hit me square between the eyes!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

➠ I do not remember making this kind of REG adjustment.... There should be pages of notes of that!

————————————————————————​

➠ Tonight I will change the barrel o-rings, examine for sharp edges.
And tomorrow see where the REG and the power are at.

Thanks again! 😊

Matthias

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
OK, friends, I have done it.

➊ I changed the two o-rings on the barrel, and also the pellet pusher o-ring.
There was nothing that looked weird, sharp edged, or messed up.

I started analyzing the shoots a little more. Here are two things that in my excitement on the hunt my mind must have simply blocked out:

➋ After the shot, the gun makes a loud, high pitched, metallic after-clang — and I would say, it's different than "the ping" that's often talked about.

➌ With every shot there is quite a lot of air coming out of several holes:
▪ top of the action, where the screw is for the pellet pusher
▪ right side of the action, where the trigger adjustment screws are

➠ My layman conclusion: There is something bigger that's wrong, something more complicated to fix! 😳

➍ I have not grown up like a lot of you guys, surrounded by tools and engines, guns, and RC's to fix. You guys are my heroes, really — what I read about you accomplishing on your guns, simply amazing! 👍🏼

So, when I decided to open up the action and dig deep to find the valve... — that was not an easy decision.

➠ And now I am at my wits end. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I find nothing wrong, nothing missing — unless the valve requires an o-ring somewhere, but I can find no shred of such o-ring....

The schematic drawings of RTI are less than helpful, as they improve their guns constantly — so my gun looks differently than the exploded diagram that I downloaded from the RTI website some years ago.

➠ I'll attach some photos.

➠And hope for some advice....

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

20240408_153350.jpg

20240408_152221.jpg

20240408_152736.jpg

While you’re in that deep, I would replace the poppet. You bought the gun used, and apparently the gun has been shot at 160b by you. And who knows what kind of power chasing the previous owner did. When you assemble the gun, make sure you have the cocking linkage adjusted so your probe is locked nicely. Also inspect your block where the little screw cams down and locks the probe from going backwards. RTI’s will wear the block on the corner where the screw goes from moving forward to down. Back to your problem. You are getting some weird air pressure in a part of your gun that shouldn’t see any pressure except the slight pressure the hammer creates moving forward. There is a vent for that on the side of the hammer tunnel that leads to your trigger adjustment screws. The only way to get excessive hammer air is if you use a thick grease. I’m hoping somehow it’s poppet related. Or possibly if your transfer port wasn’t lined up. But that’s almost impossible.

While you’re in that deep, I would replace the poppet. You bought the gun used, and apparently the gun has been shot at 160b by you. And who knows what kind of power chasing the previous owner did. When you assemble the gun, make sure you have the cocking linkage adjusted so your probe is locked nicely. Also inspect your block where the little screw cams down and locks the probe from going backwards. RTI’s will wear the block on the corner where the screw goes from moving forward to down. Back to your problem. You are getting some weird air pressure in a part of your gun that shouldn’t see any pressure except the slight pressure the hammer creates moving forward. There is a vent for that on the side of the hammer tunnel that leads to your trigger adjustment screws. The only way to get excessive hammer air is if you use a thick grease. I’m hoping somehow it’s poppet related. Or possibly if your transfer port wasn’t lined up. But that’s almost impossible.
I'm the previous owner....no power chasing done here lol.

Hopefully you figure out the issue soon Matthias!

OK, friends, I have done it.

➊ I changed the two o-rings on the barrel, and also the pellet pusher o-ring.
There was nothing that looked weird, sharp edged, or messed up.

I started analyzing the shoots a little more. Here are two things that in my excitement on the hunt my mind must have simply blocked out:

➋ After the shot, the gun makes a loud, high pitched, metallic after-clang — and I would say, it's different than "the ping" that's often talked about.

➌ With every shot there is quite a lot of air coming out of several holes:
▪ top of the action, where the screw is for the pellet pusher
▪ right side of the action, where the trigger adjustment screws are

➠ My layman conclusion: There is something bigger that's wrong, something more complicated to fix! 😳

➍ I have not grown up like a lot of you guys, surrounded by tools and engines, guns, and RC's to fix. You guys are my heroes, really — what I read about you accomplishing on your guns, simply amazing! 👍🏼

So, when I decided to open up the action and dig deep to find the valve... — that was not an easy decision.

➠ And now I am at my wits end. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I find nothing wrong, nothing missing — unless the valve requires an o-ring somewhere, but I can find no shred of such o-ring....

The schematic drawings of RTI are less than helpful, as they improve their guns constantly — so my gun looks differently than the exploded diagram that I downloaded from the RTI website some years ago.

➠ I'll attach some photos.

➠And hope for some advice....

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

View attachment 453793

View attachment 453792

View attachment 453794
Mathias, could you possibly video the shot cycle? That may give some clues. When I got my most recent Prophet, I spent some time trying to reduce the loud pop in my ear, I had to wear an earplug on that side. Mine is somewhat better now, but if I crank it way up, I still need ear protection. I have my reg around 140 bar, and almost never touch it.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the shot that blew the pellets out happened without fully closing and locking the pellet probe in? That happened to a friend with his upgraded Priest, but even more violently. In his case it blew the Carm mag apart and left him with a cut next to his eye. In his case the trigger was way too light, and the sear tripped as he was closing the breech, we were fortunate in not having to locate his displaced eyeball…

Reactions: Dairyboy