Prophet Compact: Plenum + Tuning + Power + Bottle

RTI Prophet Compact Performance .22cal:
🔺 Plenum + Tuning + Power + Bottle 🔺

❓ Do you know what to do when you bought a gun — but it hasn't been delivered yet?
➔ Yupp, you can shoot it in your mind, tune it in your mind, set up a new Strelok file, gather the ammo for the first day of testing, clear a spot to store it, order o-rings, aftermarket performance parts, accessories....
OR:
Pester your fellow forum members with questions!

➔ I've done the above. Stopped short of selling a kidney to pay for it all.
Now it's time to get on the forums....! 🤣

🔶 Before you answer any or all of my questions (simply refer to the number) — I want to make sure we're all on the same page:

I only have a CF tank, and I can't drive clear across town to get it refilled (because my town is the size of a country, 10 million+).
Therefore, my average pressure I can put into the gun's airtube is mostly going to be less than 300bar.
➔ Average pressure available in my bottle I'd say is going to be 250bar.

I'm looking for this tune in .22cal:
• 33-36FPE
• 18.13gr to 18.5gr pellets
• 900 to 950fps MV
• I'll play with slugs as well
• 5 to 100 yards
• I want to do pellet BC testing, which requires frequent power setting changes

• • • • • • •​

❓Q1 • Extended plenum: By how much would I increase my shot count (ballpark figure)? (this is the Compact Performance version, and I assume 250bar in the bottle)

❓Q2 • Extended plenum: I am somewhat concerned for a quiet tune — i.e., rather shorter sips of air at higher pressure — than longer gulps of air at lower pressure.
Would the ext. plenum favor that kind of quiet tune — in the Compact Prophet — or does it move me into louder?

❓Q3 • Extended plenum: Any other advantages or disadvantages of using the ext. plenum?

❓Q4 • Regulator adjusting: What are the proper steps to change the regulator setting — not to mess things up? (This is my first gun with external adjustment.)

❓Q5 • Larger bottle: What options are out there to use a larger bottle on the Compact? (price, link?) (The bottle must not hinder the use of a large DFL silencer.)

❓Q6 • Other advice: Do you have any other recommendations for me?

Thank you all! 😊

Matthias

Last edited:
Q1-3?
Q4, insert Allen hex key into regulator adjustment and turn CW or CCW and watch the pressure on the gage. It’s so simple.
Q5, I get 60 shots on my stock bottle which is plenty for me.
Q6, The only options I suggest are a 3D printed butt hook and cheek rest, purchased on eBay from a guy in the UK.

Just shoot the gun first Before adding or changing anything. It’s a great platform As Is.

It is gonna be loud at that level. Get 5 dastate pulsar baffles from AoA and the spring they come with so you can put the proper guts in the shroud. I bought the extra plenum because all you ever hear about is plenum size and why not. I also only fill mine to 250 bar with a hand pump since I added a huma bottle reg to help the RTI reg, ala FX style.

I have a couple of prophet compacts (the 22cal is my wifes..I get to shoot it when I fill out the proper paperwork and ask nicely) mine I bought as a 25 and I have a 177 barrel for it. Currently I have it as a 177. Both rifles I put a extra plenum on. The plenum gave me a few extra shots.. the noticeable thing to me was I was abled to run a lower reg pressure and keep the same fps.. her 22 is set at 100 bar with the hammer spring flush. It shoots 16gr pellets at 900ish.. 60 shots... 300 bar fill. I have filled it to 250 bar but dont remember the exact shot count.. either way it's still a decent number of shots... there pretty good shooters and fairly efficient with pellets.. you move to slug territory you will definitely burn though more air finding the right tune/slug... I've never tried slugs in her 22... mine in 25 ( although I never gave it a 100% effort) shot them ok... nothing worth mentioning.

🔹 igolfat,

thanks for the info on the reg changing. So, no problem to change the reg while under pressure? I remember dimly reading about dryfiring between shots, or degassing....?

The cheekrest, yeah, good idea. I'll have to see where my cheek wants to go once the gun gets here. And how low I can get the scope to mount.

🔹 Matt,

I read about the Daystate Pulsar baffles. Very important! 👍🏼 I fail to find them on the AoA site.
The gun that's coming has Marauder baffles. I wonder if those would those have the same effect.....

Thank you both! 😊

Matthias

I have a couple of prophet compacts. [...]
The plenum gave me a few extra shots. The noticeable thing to me was I was abled to run a lower reg pressure and keep the same fps.... Her 22 is set at 100 bar with the hammer spring flush. It shoots 16gr pellets at 900ish... 60 shots... 300 bar fill.

Jason,

thanks for those numbers.
When I put those into GPC Ballistics Applications (app PCPFills), I get an efficiency of 11.5% (a number I will keep constant in the following plays with numbers in the ballistic calculator — without really understanding what it means at this point 🤷‍♂️).
Now, if I play with the numbers in the app (and don't misunderstand the app), I get it to tell me that if I fill to only 250bar, I would get 43 shots. That's good. 😊

By the same backwards data entry method I can deduce that my dream power of 950fps of 18.5gr pellets (37FPE) would supposedly give me 32 shots, when going from 250bar to 100bar. That's quite accetable. 👍🏼
But....
Are 37FPE truly possible at only 100bar regulator setting with a 400mm barrel...? — I have an inkling that 32 shots might indeed only be a dream....

Upping the reg to a more realistic 140bar would give me (per app result) 22 shots per fill. Not acceptable. 😟

With a 300cc bottle the app predicts 30 shots. Acceptable. 👍🏼

Thanks for the numbers to get me started, Jason. I'm no number cruncher, just a number puncher, hopelessly dependent on a calculator.

Matthias

mine was nice and quiet i was also able to fit a 480 fx botle with a wylie silencer
DVKR1462.JPG

Reactions: Jasonmc
when i had my compact i put a plenum on mine was getting i think 72 shots shooting 16 gr at 910 i think way better than the 50 i was getting reg was 110 bar oem hammer spring not cut

That was, I assume, all the way down from 300 bar to 110 bar, correct?

I'd love to hear a few more responses to some of my questions.
The instructions about reg adjusting were very helpful. THANKS!

Matthias

Jasonmc, 😊

thanks for the link to the video on the reg adjusting, very helpful. 👍🏼

He showed how to measure the protrusion of the HST to make HST adjustments repeatable.

❓ Now I'm wondering how to make my regulator adjustments repeatable.... (Say, my hunting trip moves from close range hunting terrain to open plains and I want to dial the reg higher to use slugs at a setting I tested before — how would I get to that setting again....)

Matthias

You could carry a caliper with you and measure the end of the regulator adjustment bolt in relation to the outer body.
Or just make notations of the air pressure settings on the air gauge.

Yeah, we have those gauges on our airguns to give us a very important piece of information — one the requires a high level of precision.

➔ However, I feel like the airgun manufacturers are intent to not give us the needed precision with the gauges they sell us....:
They are not using the full 360° of the dial, like a watch does by spreading its 12 hours over the full size of the dial. Instead, they give us 1/3 of the dial — that is like squeezing 12 hours into the space occuped from 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock.... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Precision airguns, yupp — just not when it comes to measuring regulator and bottle pressure.

I'm not sure if calipers would be more precise. It's a good idea that I will try. Thanks! 😊

Matthias