• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Prophet 2 questions / observations

Had the prophet 2 for a few days and its very good.
One little problem. The first few shots after the gun has rested about an hour are very low power like the hammer is not hitting hard enough. Its adjusted according to Orion vids ie- enough hammer to get the valve working properly then 1/4 more. Ive tried increasing more than this but the problem is still there.

The famous valve squeak - Gregor says its not the reg but the one way valve in the air pipe. Do they still put it in? I thought its purpose was only for the P1 rear bottle attachment?

Mine is 22 P2 performance. I would like to put a digital valve on there but its a VERY tight fit and looks awful. I may make a plenum cap that will take the gauge. 1/4 turn on the reg changed pellet speed (25gn) from 850 to 950. The pressure change could hardly be seen on gauge (around 100 bar).

I will 3d print some bits, already did something to make cheek more comfortable. Next - adjustable bag rider.

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: rigbymauser
You have a small reg creep. With the higher pressure, hammer can't open the valve enough to reach the desired speed. After 5-7 shoots, the plenum will be at the right pressure and you will see your speed running up. My suggestion is to dry-fire 5-7 times before start shooting.
If it is creeping its not enough to show on the gauge, which is why I was trying to get the digital gauge on there.

If it is creeping its not enough to show on the gauge, which is why I was trying to get the digital gauge on there.
Every "classic" gauge is produced from the same 2-3 Chinese factories. This doesn't mean that they are bad products, but they have all the same tolerances, ~ 5-7%. So, e.g. you have your reg set at 90b. A creep between 0.1b and ~4.5/6.3b will not be showed. I have 2 gauges on my RTI Prophet, one on the reg, and another right behind the plenum. They have a 5 bar difference, but my gun doesn't leak, so...
Digital gauge are good for sure but honestly, you don't need them. Just shoot 5-7 times before getting serious. Every closed regulator will have some small creep, not a big problem for sure once you know.

If your regulator is below 120bar I had hard time finding the right balance, you seem to be at the edge, the reg is low, valve opens but with a small creep valve goes partially lock again, keep turning 1/4 turn until next morning first shot doesn't drop.

The downside is that you might waste a bit more air, the valve will work at its best from 120 bar, but my gun was shooting really hard at those reg pressure, so I'm at 90 bar also, just need more hammer. Go a little more at a time, you are right at the edge.

If your regulator is below 120bar I had hard time finding the right balance, you seem to be at the edge, the reg is low, valve opens but with a small creep valve goes partially lock again, keep turning 1/4 turn until next morning first shot doesn't drop.

The downside is that you might waste a bit more air, the valve will work at its best from 120 bar, but my gun was shooting really hard at those reg pressure, so I'm at 90 bar also, just need more hammer. Go a little more at a time, you are right at the edge.
Yes, at 120 mine was giving speeds over 1000 with 25gn redesign. I wanted to try 880 which needed reg at 100. Seems too low so I suspected the gauge was not accurate so thought I’d try to get the digital on there. Was worried if too much hammer may damage it (it’s not more than one turn past the “light up” setting). Also the hammer screw is about 5mm deep. Some people are saying its flush when working properly. The adjuster screw is really loose and I suspect it may move over time. I’ll mark it.
thanks, great channel BTW.

Another idea to run at lower power would be to reduce the plenum size be inserting plastic bar, machined to fit.

1000 FPS at 120 bar a 25gr in .22? Wow that's some serious power right there, I don't think my gun can do that, but I have the compact version.

Don't be afraid to have the screw in, my gun came with the screw almost all the way but the reg came like at 150, I think they were testing slugs or something when they send the gun, what I want to say is that the screw doesn't have to be flush, keep turning it until next day you don't have a slow shot.

Wow, the regular gun is putting some serious power, 1000fps at 120bar with the 25gr, I think they really focus on power with this change, this is a slug gun, what will be the speed at 140bar regulator? :eek:

Balanced valves are notorious for tuning issues. If it’s like most bv’s, there will be a dynamic oring that sits under pressure that for lack of a better term needs to loosen up. I wonder if this is what’s going on here since you feel like the reg is not creeping.

I’ve not seen one apart yet.

Dave
Creep - perhaps it is. Took a pic of gauge 12 hours apart and think its probably 10bar difference. Very difficuly to see on these small gauges.

Should I be contented with this?
I think im about 40% contented. Trouble is, after seeing Gregor nail a 1" target every time at 100 mts I want it to be like that. Tried speeds from 870 to 950. Above 920 pellets seem to open up a bit. This was shot around 900. - about 110bar showing but dont think the gauge is that accurate. Bit breezy from changing directions.
Barrel was cleaned before start, then targets shot in number order. Ave - 1.3 MOA.

IMG_3642.jpg

Last edited: