RTI Prophet 177 pellet picky

My 500mm LW 177 Prophet barrel is very pellet picky, I tried and I really tried to shoot the JSB 13gr pellets would not group, Tried the Edgun 10 gr pellets nope, Good but I know this barrel can do better, H&N match 10 gr little worse than the Edgun pellets, JSB hades 10 gr ok but not good,, Back to the JSB Heavy Diabolo 10 gr pellets The only pellet this barrel wants to shoot pin point accuracy , I was shooting out of my Standerd P-1 speeds went from 1000 to 850 and settled at 900 FPS .
I wished RTI would or have LW make a 600 mm 177 barrel ,
Any one have any luck with any other 177 pellets in the LW prophet barrel?
Replaced the valve in my compact P-2 If I can do it, anyone can do it Just watch video of Greger taking the gun apart about 10 times ,
Mike

My 500mm LW 177 Prophet barrel is very pellet picky, I tried and I really tried to shoot the JSB 13gr pellets would not group, Tried the Edgun 10 gr pellets nope, Good but I know this barrel can do better, H&N match 10 gr little worse than the Edgun pellets, JSB hades 10 gr ok but not good,, Back to the JSB Heavy Diabolo 10 gr pellets The only pellet this barrel wants to shoot pin point accuracy , I was shooting out of my Standerd P-1 speeds went from 1000 to 850 and settled at 900 FPS .
I wished RTI would or have LW make a 600 mm 177 barrel ,
Any one have any luck with any other 177 pellets in the LW prophet barrel?
Replaced the valve in my compact P-2 If I can do it, anyone can do it Just watch video of Greger taking the gun apart about 10 times ,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I recently swapped my .177 (LW) barrel onto one of my .25 Prophet Performance V1s.

Essentially keeping my .25 caliber tune (reg at 100 bar) - I’m immediately shooting great scores in the 30 Yard Challenge (.125” diameter 10-ring) with the 13.4g JSB / FX monsters.

I’ve also done some testing recently with the 13.4 redesigned and they also are shooting well. Other pellets that shoot very well from my .177 LW barrel are the JSB/FX 10.3g and the H&N 9.57g FT.

-Ed

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3283.jpeg

IMG_3282.jpeg

My 177 barrel isn't what I would say to be pellet picky....it's more like tune sensitive. It shoots jsb or fx 10gr pellets great...it didn't care for the 13gr pellets to much. Miss the tune and it would tell ya in a heartbeat. It didn't like anything too much over 100 bar on the reg. Right now it's set up shooting 13gr zan slugs that it loves. It didn't like them too much at first but showed promise. So I polished the barrel.. the slugs came right into it.. it even help for the accuracy for the 13gr pellets. But still what I would call tune sensitive.. it just doesn't like a high reg setting... Anything over a 100 bar for pellets and groups open a lot... For slugs I can go as high as 125 bar anything over that and groups open...
Edit....the rifle is a P1 compact 500mm barrel (forgot to mention it)

Last edited:
Peeshooter I think its just a Standerd barrel, I am a big fan of CZ barrels I have a vulcan with a 177 CZ barrel that is super accurate , Just dead on all the time And not pellet picky. , RTI offered CZ barrels a while back but I think they were for the Prest not sure on that, My LW barrel does have a choke for sure I could tell while cleaning it ,
Mike

I recently bought a used prophet performance LR 22 cal. . When I received it and tested it I was very disappointed with the accuracy. It has a poly barrel . The barrel was very built up with lead and it too an extensive cleaning with scrubbing . Then I polished it up with bore JB bore paste It shot much better but still did not have the match grade accuracy needed for benchrest competition so I had a gunsmith recrown the barrel . It now shoots very good .I have shot groups at 35 yards that look like one shot .Make sure your barrel is very clean . I put a patch with ballistrol around a brush and scrub and keep cleaning the patch until it comes out clean . I noticed that my poly barrel leads up fairly fast and when it does the accuracy falls . Also if you have not tried JTS pellets give them a try . they shoot very good in all of my guns and they are the only ones that I use Good luck

Last edited:
I have 2 LW RTI barrels, .177.
Both benefited from a polish, several times to get truly accurate.
One shoots pellets and slugs great, the other only jsb heavy are accurate. The luck of the draw.

Other RTI calibre barrels just shoot any pellets and some slugs.
I've a few barrels, 2 cz, RPB, a LR and the .177 barrels. All genuine RTI. It's been testing.

Now seeing the 20 and 25 percent discounts in Europe on RTI p3 has me pondering.
Did the p2 assisted valve issues damage the RTI reputation?

RTI customer support was/is excellent, no question of that, issues were sorted admirably.

Team results, questionable. Iranian team, sponsor RTI good results but many non RTi components on the team rifles. Barrels, regulator etc

Let's hope RTI bounce back. Fingers crossed 🤞.